training and gu? (Read 613 times)

My first half is Dec 9, and I'm slowly getting my long runs up. I know I should try gu on a training run so I can see how I do with it. Suggestions on WHEN to take it? Like how many miles along? And what about flavors/brands...any suggestions on the best? Thanks from a terrified half newbie.
    Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
      You'll have to practice and figure out what's best for you, but here's what works for me: Tongue Training runs: I normally take GU (chocolate outrage, and nothing else!) every 6-7 miles on a run over 10-12+ miles. Half marathon: One GU around mile 7. GU is actually a brand itself. Like I said, I don't mind the chocolate outrage flavor (I don't love it -- I mean, it's "goo" ) but it's easy to take and agrees with my body. PowerBar makes a goo ... so does Hammer ... and a few more. There are other things besides goo --- sport jelly beans, shot blocks, etc.
      2009: BQ?
        I think most gel packs are about 200 calories and you burn at least 100 calories per mnile. The most recent info I read was to try and replace half of what you burn during a race. In all my training runs I drink every 2-2.5 miles as that's the common spacing in races. I'll eat a gel pack every other water stop. I failed to do this at my recent Louisville Marathon and crashed badly about 20-21. In my half marathon at Marshall, I had a gel pack at about mile 4 and 9. It must have worked as I broke my 10 year old 13.1 PR.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

In my marathons, I tend to take a gel pack every 30 minutes or so (about every 4-5 miles depending upon water stops) but I stop after 18 or 20 miles since my body won't process it in time to be useful anyway. In training, I generally only take 1 or 2 gel packs and only on runs that are over 18 miles. I never bother taking them on any run less than that since I am not out there long enough to really need one. I'd take one halfway through your training run and see how it agrees with you. Realize that most gel packs recommend that you drink a certain amount of water with it to dilute it enough to be digestible, so have water available.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

If I don't get a chance to eat properly beforehand I'll sometimes take a Gu before a run. Otherwise I only occasionally use it on a training runs over an hour. I definitely think it helps during a race so, yes experiment away. For me the Gu brand is easiest. I can scarf one of those down on a run with minimal effort. I once nearly coughed up a lung after inhaling a Sports Bean on a run. But,that's just me. Gu just came out with a new flavor, Chocolate Mint. It tastes a little like an Andes mint. I mean I wouldn't use it for cake frosting but, it tastes okay.
              For my first and currently only HM, I did not take any supplements. I dehydrate very quickly so I made sure I was getting my fluids at each stop. My suggestions: -Commit to finish at a comfortable pace… something you can envision yourself doing. -See if you can run a distance close to the half a week or two before the race -Make sure you are getting your fluids -If you make people aware of your goal maybe they'll be out there to be your cheering squad... The big issue for me on the HM was the latter part had some quick elevation changes which did a number on my knee. By the way, I might join y’all (bonkin, derrick, and you) out there on the 9th. Best on your HM!

Vim

mikeymike

Your body can store plenty of fuel to carry you 13.1 miles, so you shouldn't need to try gu on training runs if you dont' want to. There's one less thing for you to be terrified about. Good luck with your half.

Runners run

Scout7

I hate the stuff. I dislike all gels, they make me gag. I stick to sports drink.
                    For a half-marathon, I usually have one Gu before and one at mile 8. As far as flavors/brands, that comes down to personal preference and what your stomach can handle. I started off using Clif Shots, but those made my stomach hurt while running. I've had the best luck with Gu (vanilla, espresso, and tri berry are my favorite flavors). Everything else seems to cause GI issues for me.