qualifying times for the NYC marathon - half and full times (Read 3188 times)

I was looking at various marathons and noticed that the NYC qualifying times (much tougher than Boston). And, they have a qualifying half marathon time! Do the marathon times seem more aggressive than the half marathon times to anyone else? http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/applyfor2008.php

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin

The qualifying half looks pretty reasonable for Open - it's pretty close on the MacMillan running equivalent calculator. Check out the extra 15min you get for turning 40! That's pretty surprising. Isn't that just 5min more aggressive than Boston?
        Boston does have a 35-39 group, while NY does not. So Boston goes 18-34 3:10:59, 35-39 3:15:59, 40-49 3:20:59 While NY is 18-39 2:55/1:23 40-49 3:10/1:30 I think the 40-49 half time is attainable. The 1:23/2:55 are pretty equivalent.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is a difference between Boston and NY "qualifying" times. Generally, to run Boston AT ALL, you have to qualify. By contrast, the NYC marathon has a limited number of slots, far fewer than the demand. People "register" for the slots before a deadline. More registrants register than there are slots. So the NYC Marathon has a lottery. After the lottery, registrants are informed if they got in. You automatically get in the NYC Marathon (i.e., bypass the lottery) in any of the following conditions: 1. You get a qualifying time in a qualifying HM or Marathon, as per the OP 2. You fall through the lottery three times 3. You are a member of the NYRR 4. You are a VIP or running for a qualifying charity
            Boston does have a 35-39 group, while NY does not. So Boston goes 18-34 3:10:59, 35-39 3:15:59, 40-49 3:20:59 While NY is 18-39 2:55/1:23 40-49 3:10/1:30 I think the 40-49 half time is attainable. The 1:23/2:55 are pretty equivalent.
            No. If you're 45 (and male) when you run Boston, the qualifying time is 3:30. It's WAY easier.
            mikeymike

Damn, NYC has lowered it's standards. Men's open used to be 2:45 / 1:15 IIRC. I've qualified...if I want to run a marathon with 45,000 people. Which I'm pretty sure I don't.

Runners run

JakeKnight

No. If you're 45 (and male) when you run Boston, the qualifying time is 3:30. It's WAY easier.
                Cheevers is very right. As those of us within sight of 45 know very well. God bless that 10 minute jump.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

JakeKnight

2. You fall through the lottery three times
                  Out of curiosity, if you win in the lottery - can you defer it? In other words, I'm sure I'll run NYC in the 3-4 years ... can I apply, sort of hoping to lose the lottery 3 years in a row ... but defer it if I win? Somehow I'll bet I'm not the only one to think of this.

Out of curiosity, if you win in the lottery - can you defer it? In other words, I'm sure I'll run NYC in the 3-4 years ... can I apply, sort of hoping to lose the lottery 3 years in a row ... but defer it if I win? Somehow I'll bet I'm not the only one to think of this.
                    If I remember correctly, you can defer for one year.

Was it all a dream?

You can defer, but you don't get your money back. So it will be a $166 loss each time you "win" the lottery...
                      JakeKnight

Gotcha. Thanks, Jim & Schneidr.

kcam

Just run the qualifying time. There. Done. Evil grin I never knew NY had a qualifying time for guaranteed entry. I smell a goal! Shaking fist .... DAMM YOU ALL TO H-E-doublehockeysticks for bringing this to my attention.
                          JakeKnight

Just run the qualifying time. There. Done. Evil grin I never knew NY had a qualifying time for guaranteed entry. I smell a goal! Shaking fist .... DAMM YOU ALL TO H-E-doublehockeysticks for bringing this to my attention.
                            I'm with you. I'm kind of happy to see a new long term goal provided for me. 2:55? right now? Yeah, right. 3:10 ...in a couple years at 40? Well, someday, maybe ... 3:30 when I'm 50. Oh, yes. You're right. Screw the lottery. I'll run it when I qualify.

Hawt and sexy

Yeah, I kinda already figured this one out. I am guessing you get a better coral if you qualify. I will not do NY until I qualify.

I'm touching your pants.

I couldn't find the info on the website, so I'm curious to know if anyone here knows the answer.

When the cutoff for NYC says 2:45, does that mean 2:45:00 or 2:45:59?

I know Boston has changed from :59 to :00, but hoping NYC does not do it that way.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!