What's the funniest or most strange thing you've ever seen on a run or in a race? (Read 260 times)

mattw4jc

The bib's on the left leg... and the bear has three feet off the ground, must be close to full gallop (do bears gallop?)....  Might have been out of sight a few seconds later....

I think kittenkat meant that the bear is the bandit.

probably not fast enough

I think kittenkat meant that the bear is the bandit.

yeah, you're probably right, I considered it, but the subject at hand was some "weedy" guy?  Maybe that's slang for "furry," IDK...  Anyway, props to the bear, right?  From the look of the form, the splits have got to be impressive

kkittenkat

English Villian

The bib's on the left leg... and the bear has three feet off the ground, must be close to full gallop (do bears gallop?)....  Might have been out of sight a few seconds later....

Look at his biomechanics, he's just 'jogging', not really trying.
        That's going to piss off the hobby local race winners if he beats them! 

One memorable incident was on a local trail.  The runners around here use these trails all the time, but to someone who doesn't know that, it can seem extremely remote and isolated.  One segment of this particular trail is an old access road that is closed to vehicles, but if someone chose to drive back there, they wouldn't have trouble getting their car through.  Someone who was obviously unfamiliar with the amount of use this trail gets had driven his SUV back there and parked it at the top of a hill.  From his perspective, there wasn't another soul for miles.  It can look like that if you don't know better.

Well, I crested the hill and was greeted by this dude's bare ass, pants at his ankles, his lady friend on her back on the open hatch, her legs tossed to the sky.  I ran right by them, muttering something like "jeezus ka-riced".  I don't know what their immediate actions were - keep going because the fluke interruption had passed, or pack up to try another day.  I hope they did the former because there were several runners on the trail behind me within just a minute or two.

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Could've been worse.

Heading for the aid station and free food?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Seattle prattle

Could've been worse.

cool. Where was that?

GinnyinPA

Black bears can run about 35 mph, so I think he'd win.

Seattle prattle

the importance of totally weekly mileage should not be overlooked. Not to mention diet and sleep.

Well as the old joke goes, you don't have to be faster than the bear, you just have to be faster than the other runners.

That race was in Colorado.

Dave

I'll have to give my answer some thought...

It's been 10 days, have you come up with one yet?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Ha!  My friends' girlfriend picked up the guys' shoes and returned them to him at the end of the race

We don't get much in the way of wildlife stories here in NZ, so this will have to do...

At the Auckland Marathon last month, at about the 30km mark just before the turnaround I saw a young guy running barefoot in the other direction (a spectator even yelled out "go barefoot guy!!").  The race is fully on-road - no trails or grass or anything like that.

He was in the news the next day, turns out he ditched his shoes at the 18km mark as his knee felt a bit sore.  Ended up not being able to walk properly but he still ran 2:53!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

running loops around  trails in a very public & popular  city  park.  1st loop passed a middle aged couple walking.  2nd lap saw them again  & coming up from behind about 20 yds away when all of a sudden the man stopped, pulled his pants down to his ankles, bent down, & started to take a crap right in the middle of the trail.  broad daylight, middle of day.  I stopped abruptly,  turned around & ran the other way, fast.  Hopefully he followed the "leave no trace"  protocol.   I did not go back to check! not really something that I needed to see.   has taken me  awhile to get this picture out of my head.  basically have chosen to erase from my memory book.  Until now with this thread.  thanks, I appreciate that.  Have to go through the process all over again, damaged

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I was in a race that passed an apparently emotionally disturbed man who was masturbating towards the runners (later reports said he was not taken to jail, but rather to a hospital for observation).  Some participants wondered why the police already on the course weren't doing anything about it, but personally I was glad the police remained in place to keep the roads closed and instead called in for additional officers to address the situation.  An unmanned road block that allowed vehicles onto the course would have been a bigger hazard.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

no worries, unless you're the slowest...

Could've been worse.

300m- 37 sec.

Ben Obert

Maybe the prom-posal I stumbled upon (before it happened, luckily!).