Heart Rate Training in Heat (Help!) (Read 81 times)

BobScott

So I live in Texas and the heat is officially here. We're at the point where mornings at in the high 70s with 100% humidity and the afternoons/evenings are in the mid 90s and it feels like over 100. Even recovery runs in the afternoon feel difficult.

This is my first summer here trying to use HR training zones as part of my running plan, and I'm having a really hard time making it work given the heat and humidity. I'll go for a 5-7 mile run and I can maintain my zone (Aerobic, Endurance, Recovery paces between 137-150 beats per minute) for a period of it but then all the sudden my HR will just jump to say 160-170 and I can't get it back down no matter how slow I go. It seems almost impossible to stay in these zones in the heat. It makes me want to say "screw this" and just train by per mile paces instead.

This frustrates the heck out of me and makes me wonder about the practicality of this training method given the weather here. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me?

dumrunner

I would say just run by feel for the next few weeks, ignoring the HRM, until you get acclimated. Then go back to the HRM and see how you're responding. Personally, it can take me a month or so to get fully acclimated (in VA). I don't really feel comfortable running in the heat and humidity until early August most years.

Wing

Joggaholic

Fellow Texan here. I just run by feel and I don't actually follow any HR training plan, but I do keep an eye on the HR reading sometimes (usually post-run though). In my experience it's hard to keep the upward trend down by slowing down given the heat and fatigue (especially if running in the morning when the condition only gets worse). The only way to really "reset" (can't find the proper word) is to take actual breaks, as in stopping and resting for several minutes every few miles (good to have water/fuel breaks like this during long runs anyway).

CalBears

This is my first summer here trying to use HR training zones as part of my running plan, and I'm having a really hard time making it work given the heat and humidity. I'll go for a 5-7 mile run and I can maintain my zone (Aerobic, Endurance, Recovery paces between 137-150 beats per minute) for a period of it but then all the sudden my HR will just jump to say 160-170 and I can't get it back down no matter how slow I go. It seems almost impossible to stay in these zones in the heat. It makes me want to say "screw this" and just train by per mile paces instead.

What do you use to track your HR? The fact that you slow down considerably and the HR doesn't go down tells me you have a problem with HR device. Unfortunately, both, a watch with wrist HR or chest strap HR monitor can be faulty at times - maybe try to wearing both with two watches? I know - sounds extremely weird, but you asked for an advice Smile. Also, chest straps are considered more reliable, so if you using watch for HR, I would try chest strap for starters. Heat definitely raises your HR for similar paces but it should not be 30-40 bpm, it should be less.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

rlopez

I lived in Texas for the first 30 years of my life. Don't know where you live, but in general, my advice is to go through your heartrate training ANY TIME EXCEPT SUMMER. That could mean "January" (if you live near Houston) or something like "November through March" elsewhere.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I find once summer comes, after about 45 minutes of running in heat, regardless of effort level, I find it difficult or impossible to get my heart rate down. Basically, unless I can actually cool off, it's just not going to happen. As others have said, go by effort.

SMART Approach

Bob, I think your HR monitor had an issue. This happens occasionally with my Garmin 235. Start very conservative on your runs. It is normal to have HR drift as run goes on and your body temp increases and blood volume drops as you go along. Maintain your effort.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com