starting c25k but sore knees (Read 616 times)

nualacharlie

I have tried to start running using the C25k plan a couple of times this year.  In the summer I stupidly skipped a few weeks and overdid it and sprained the ligament on the inside of my right knee, now 4 months later I have started again from the beginning (Week 1) and am noticing slight soreness in the same place on my other knee(both very slightly during and after).    I have been icing my knees after every run so far (all 2 of them)

I had a gait analysis and new shoes prior to the last attempt in the summer.  I am not overweight and my knees have never been a problem before this year.

I have been trying to do some strength training exercises (wall squats and demi plies) on the days I haven't ran. 

Just wondering if I should continue with the plan, stick on week 1 till the soreness recedes, just walk for a few weeks and continue with the strength training or any other suggestions. 

I am determined to get back into running as I have always loved it so I don't really care how long it takes.

"Slight soreness" might be OK to run through. You need to be very honest with yourself about whether things are getting better or worse. If things are getting worse then you may need to lay off the running for a little while. As you say - don't give up on your fitness altogether if you take a running break - walking, cycling, swimming - anything that gets your heart rate up for a long period is lot better than doing nothing!

BTW - swap the wall squats for real squats - it's about the best whole body strengthening exercise you can do. Learn good technique with light weights and gradually build it up. Ideally find someone who knows what they're doing who can advise you about technique. It's also worth watching e.g.  Mark Rippetoe's videos on youtube.

Feeling the growl again

"Slight soreness" might be OK to run through. You need to be very honest with yourself about whether things are getting better or worse. If things are getting worse then you may need to lay off the running for a little while. 

+1.  Part of this whole running thing is learning to listen to your body and know adaptation soreness from injury.  I've been at this for ~22 years now...lately something has been hurting more often that not, but I still run.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

In the summer I stupidly skipped a few weeks and overdid it and sprained the ligament on the inside of my right knee

Who gave you this diagnosis, and what tests did they do?  Call me a skeptic, but I don't believe that an MCL "sprain" is possible from simple overuse.  Knee ligaments are extraordinary robust.  There's something else going on, given that you are now experiencing the same pain in your other knee.  Shoes are still the same now as during the summer?  And/or, did they give you orthotics?  If either case, start there -- it is always possible that the gait analyzer/shoe fitter put you into something that provides too much correction. 

nualacharlie

Thanks for all your replies,

seilerts I think you could be right.  I admit it, I self diagnosed my knee pain as medial knee sprain, due to the fact that the pain was only on the inside and any stretches of that area hurt at the ligament.  But it seems as if I am not doing enough to hurt the other knee with the little bit of running I have done this week.
            I  am going to head back to the running shop that sold me the shoes on Monday (when I have child free afternoon) and check that the shoes they sold me aren't too correcting. 

And am planning on just walking but at a fast pace for a couple of weeks and gently introduce running (unless the running shop comes up with some better solution).

This is so frustrating as I love running, even in the rain and cold, and the week 1 runs I am finding almost too easy, and am having to force myself to go slower, if only it wasn't for my knees.

nualacharlie

For an update

I went back to the running shop and spoke to the guys who sold me the shoes and they checked my gait again and said that the shoes where fine, but he thinks my problem is postural. This is because I was holding my upper body in a protected/guarded kinda way and leaning back a little bit .   He suggested doing more core work.  It does all make sense, especially when I consider that the last time I finished the C25K plan I got priformis syndrome and my abs are weaker than they where then because I have had a baby in between.  

My plan was to do some core strengthening work and try to do a long fast walk three times a week and maybe actually use the chi running book that I bought ages ago.  Does anybody else have any other suggestions?