Shall I use trail shoes on road? (Read 4083 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

A newbie question. Is it ok to use trail running shoes if I mainly run on concrete? (I tried searching but didn't find this exact topic in the forum, and google led me to too many varied opinions from too many random sources.)

I have not yet found a close-by running-specific shoe stores yet, so I've been looking around in big-box stores for a new pair of running shoes. I found one that seems to fit and feel right (I normally wear US 7.5 4E, so I'm looking for 8 4E stability, it appears to be a hard-to-find size around here for some reason, so finding something that fits right is a big deal to me...). The only "problem" with that the shoe is that it's a trail running shoe. Is that going to give me problems in terms of injury, easier to trip, or giving me more aches and pains ...etc? (I don't mind if it just means the shoes will wear out faster)

For what it's worth, I run entirely on concrete sidewalks. I've been running on my "daily-wear" sneakers (I think it's a Reebok DMX something for walking) that's several years old. So I supposed whatever I'm getting will be an upgrade. I'm building up blisters and calluses so I figured my feet are telling me to get new shoes.

Thanks!

Wing, think it depends on the trail shoes. I'm not a big fan of running with them on the road/sidewalk. 

After a trail run, I'll venture onto the road in my trail shoes; no harm, no foul.  But to run on the roads all the time in trail shoes? Nah.  

Good luck.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

Yes, it totally depends on the shoe.  Some trail shoes are bad ass big and beefy... not so great on the roads.  Others are a lot more like hybrid shoes which would be ok.  So it depends.

I've a real life friend who runs exclusively in brooks cascadia these days.  Trails, roads, whatever.

But if it were me, I'd keep looking for road shoes.

Trail shoes are bulkier and a bit inflexible compared to road shoes (there are exceptions), so you may not be very comfortable running on hard surfaces, I would not do it regularly, if I have to get to a trail head by running a mile in them on concrete/asphalt, no big deal.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wing, Joe's New Balance Outlet is a good site with deals on discontinued shoes in a range of widths.  Lots of 4E running models.

The shoes I wear on trail runs (Mizuno Wave Ascend) feel really nice off-road or in snow, but are pretty uncomfortable and clunky on sidewalks and streets.  And they are a relatively flexible, lightweight trail shoe.  I wouldn't recommend trail shoes for the running you do.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I haven't done it since 2008 (because I don't do much trail running these days so I don't buy trail shoes anymore), but I kind of liked training on-road with trail shoes.  They're typically heavier, slower and tougher than normal trainers so they can eat up a bunch of miles and your flats feel that much lighter on race day by comparison.

like people said depends on the shoe.  Asics has a trail running version of their popular GT2160 that can cross over to pavement fairly easy.  the road running version of the 2160 comes in 4e & s/b easy to find (available through REI), not sure about the trail version.  I use 2 Brooks trailrunners.  The Adreneline ASR not bad for crossing over onto pavement,  the Cascadia is very uncomfortable on harder type surfaces especially pavement.  On a regular basis definitely would not recommend using trail runners on pavement.

The Asics GT 2160 is a stabilty shoe & finding 8 4E in the road version should be very easy to find.  Any larger REI would have them in stock most likely or if not, then on-line.  around $ 100.  any "decent"  running store s/b willing to find that 4E for you for no additional charge (except maybe shipping) if they want your business.  if not, go somewhere else.

"something that fits right is a big deal to me"     well it is a & s/b a big deal for anyone especially if you want to maintain or increase your mileage.  it's great when we find great deals on shoes but only if its the right one for you!   if you do find a great deal on the wrong shoe you will pay for it greatly in other ways.

Wing, what's the specific shoe?  There's a chance someone around here might run in them.

For what it's worth, I do plenty of road running in a trail shoe, but it's neutral/0mm drop (Merrell Trail Glove), so it wouldn't fit your needs.  In terms of usability, I love it.  The luggy grip is great for rain and slick surfaces, though, but that will vary a lot with the specific trail shoe.  You might want to check out Running Warehouse's shoe finder, too!  Looks like they've got some options for you, and I've had nothing but great customer service with them.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

Wing

Joggaholic

Thanks all for the info. I think the trail shoe is not going to work for me based on all your suggestions. I run at night and the lighted streets/sidewalks is my only option even though there are nature trails nearby (pitch black). I guess I will keep on looking then, I don't think I'll run out of shoe stores to visit, it'll just take some time Smile

Wing

Joggaholic

Wing, what's the specific shoe?  There's a chance someone around here might run in them.

For what it's worth, I do plenty of road running in a trail shoe, but it's neutral/0mm drop (Merrell Trail Glove), so it wouldn't fit your needs.  In terms of usability, I love it.  The luggy grip is great for rain and slick surfaces, though, but that will vary a lot with the specific trail shoe.  You might want to check out Running Warehouse's shoe finder, too!  Looks like they've got some options for you, and I've had nothing but great customer service with them.

I found some Nike Air Alvord 9, it seems to fit the best amongst all the 4E's I've tried (which is not too many). I hopped through several brand stores at an outlet (Puma, Reebok, Adidas...) and I learned that selections at outlet stores are extremely limited. I had slightly more luck with Academy. I think I will pay Rei a visit as skyedog suggested. Thanks for the link.

I found some Nike Air Alvord 9, it seems to fit the best amongst all the 4E's I've tried (which is not too many). I hopped through several brand stores at an outlet (Puma, Reebok, Adidas...) and I learned that selections at outlet stores are extremely limited. I had slightly more luck with Academy. I think I will pay Rei a visit as skyedog suggested. Thanks for the link.

Not a problem.  I've had great luck with them--and they do free shipping and free returns.  That can be killer for a shoe you want to try on but can't find locally.

Running/outdoor specialty stores, like skyedog suggests, are going to be a much, much better place to try than outlets in general.  You'll (hopefully) get more knowledgeable staff, too.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                        Emil Zatopek