Is this what I think it is? (Read 438 times)

pedaling fool

I'm a newbie to running, but I've read a little and from what I've read, one must be careful of overstriding, which can result in the heel-striking, in effect "putting on the brakes".

I'm currently reading this book http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/FrameBase?content=%2Fservlet%2FListingDetails%3Fshowpic=1%26stockphoto=1%26showpicurl=http://isbn.abebooks.com/mz/92/57/1579549292.jpg%26booktitle=Runner%27s+World+Complete+Book+of+Runnng%3A+Everything+You+Need+to+Know+to+Run+for+Fun%2C+Fitness%2C+and+Competition%26bookauthor=Burfoot%2C+Amby

and it sure seems like the runner on the cover is overstriding. Am I correct? Maybe it's just me, but it looks like really bad running form.

If you look at various other covers on here http://www.abebooks.com/9781579549299/Runners-World-Complete-Book-Running-1579549292/plp they look fine, but that one just looks awful.

mikeymike

You can't tell much from a single still picture, especially not a silhouette in which you can't even see how far off the ground the runner is. To me it just looks like a goofy staged shot where they tried to make it look like the runner was hurdling the sun.

Runners run

Nashville Dog Runner

Stock Image

This is a stock photo and is not the actual image of the item available from this bookseller.

It does look goofy.  I looked at the link and read the part below the photo.   Sadly, that probably looks a lot better than I do, with my shorter stride.  Oh well.

www.nashvilledogrunner.com

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Bad running form for whom?

As was already mentioned, one can't tell much from a single picture.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

pedaling fool

Stock Image

This is a stock photo and is not the actual image of the item available from this bookseller.

I'm not sure what you're saying, it sounds like you're saying that this book does not exist. However, it does, I'm reading it now, with that same exact cover. Although there are different editions of this book with different covers.

To all that say you can't tell of the exact form from a pic, such as this one, that's probably true and that pic may be deceptive. But my point was how it looked; I just thought the form looked bad, I'm not bashing the runner, just an observation. If I had a say-so, I would not have approved that photo, again nothing against the runner.

That's just a general disclaimed abebooks makes.

xhristopher

I think he's just jumping over a puddle.

Mr MattM

That dude is moving at a pretty good pace.  You can tell that by how far back the trailing foot is.  The form is fine, as his center of gravity is closing in on his lead foot as the foot strikes.  Also, there is nothing wrong with a slight heel strike so long as the foot rolls quickly and the knees flex slightly to spread the impact forces throughout the main leg muscles.  Most elite runners have a very slight heel strike.

Given the position of his right arm, I tend to agree that he is jumping over something.  He is using his right arm to balance, while his left is in a normal running position.

be curious; not judgmental

Master of Inconsistency

I can tell from the excess wear on the inside of his Asics Gel Nimbus -13's that he needs to be in stability shoes and not a neutrals.

Also by the position of the sun it's 7:05 pm April  16 th. .................and keep that right arm closer to your body ! Noob !

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

could be the precusor to a really low scoring dive from the 10m board:

ouch

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

mikeymike

could be the precusor to a really low scoring dive from the 10m board:

ouch

The sun is a soccer ball and he's doing one of those Pele style upside down scissor kicks.

Runners run

I also have to say, a heel strike isn't necessarily bad.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

It's Haile's brother. You can tell because the left arm is close to his body where he also carried his books on the way to school. He never made it to the big time, though, because he was a heel striker.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

MrNamtor

it's bad form because his foot is way in front of his knee. the heel strike has nothing to do with it.

He is at the finishing line and right front of a camera.