Six Tunnels Half-Marathon (Read 814 times)

With less than 30 days before Boston, this was a good tune-up, and fit in well with my training schedule (had a 12-miler scheduled for today). The weather turned out a little better than I expected, with only high clouds and sun. However, in place of the rain that was predicted (80% chance, so they said), we had windy conditions. I hate running in the wind. Somehow, it always seems to be in my face (somebody has got to explain that to me). What made this even more challenging for me is that it is a trail run. I know jlynnbob likes trail running, but I run on pavement. I had to focus a lot of time watching the trail and making sure I wasn't stepping on rocks or in ditches. And, parts of the course were on very loose dirt. Very hard to get traction, and against the wind it just seems to suck the energy right out of you. It wasn't, therefore, my fastest half, but my time of 1:35 placed me 17 out of 419, 1st in my age group (M5054). No aches, pains, or nagging injuries to speak of, so it appears my training is progressing ok for Boston. One more 21-miler next weekend, then I start a gradual taper until April 17.
    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Pron8r, Isn't it always the case that the wind will always be in your face? I prefer pavement myself, mostly because I'm a slow runner and pavement makes me feel like I'm running faster. Still, 1:35 is excellent! Congrats on placing first in your age group! Did you get any nice hardware? eric Smile
        Pron8r, I prefer pavement myself, mostly because I'm a slow runner and pavement makes me feel like I'm running faster. Did you get any nice hardware? eric Smile
        I'll take pavement any day. I can run 26 miles on pavement with no blisters, and yet a trail run for 13 starts generating hot spots on the bottom of my toes. As for hardware--yeah, I got a little plaque.
        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

You'll ruin your knees!

TRAILS RULE! 1:35 is an awesome time for a trail half marathon...evidently, you did a nice job of watching where you step! I am not surprised it isn't your fastest half, as you will rarely match your road speed when running on the surface of choice (trails, that is Wink). The variety of the footfall is EXACTLY why I like trails. Congrats on the "little plaque"...first in your age group is AWESOME! The 50-54 age group isn't a bunch of turtles, at least not in the races I have experienced... As for the wind...you're so danged fast, you are making your own wind! Way to go! Good luck at Boston! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)