Does use of this site actually help you run more? (Read 853 times)

It is almost the opposite - running more makes me want to use the site. (I actually track my runs on Strava; recently joined RA just for the forums so far.) Probably like most folks here I feel I am pretty self-motivated. When I am running less due to scheduling issues or injury (like the 2-week layoff I am just returning from), I don't want to look at my data or participate much in the forums. Probably due to embarrassment/shame factor. When I am running a lot, I want to spend more time with it.

The forum advice has helped me run more in that I realized I was not putting enough miles in to be properly trained for marathons. More importantly I hope it is helping me run/train smarter. Wish I had been on before I actually ran one.

Dave

Chris UK

running is stupid

ergo RunningAHEAD is stupid

thanks to this site I stupidly ran a 100 miles this week

no good will come of it I tell you - it should be shut down with immediate effect

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

^^^This, exactly...I also have a goal of 2013 in 2013, and I'm looking to either stay as close to or ahead of the pace bunny as possible.

I planned on a run today of somewhere between 8 and 12 miles...  That pace bunny thing got in my head at about mile 10 and so I turned back around and ran for over 3 hours, 21 miles, my longest practice run ever.   Take that, pace bunny  {{{Kick to the Ribs}}} !   I don't know why it helps, but it does.  All good.  And good luck on the 2013 in 2013!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

The log.

Can't. Have. Blank. Spots.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The log.

Can't. Have. Blank. Spots.

I finally have one big, fat, black bar on my running graph!  But it beats a blank, white square of nothing.  Now to add more, slimmer bars! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I finally have one big, fat, black bar on my running graph!  But it beats a blank, white square of nothing.  Now to add more, slimmer bars! Big grin

Hey, congrats on your recovery!  I was a one-bar guy a while back.  It's a lot better than being a no-bar guy.  Now, someone have fun with that.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, congrats on your recovery!  I was a one-bar guy a while back.  It's a lot better than being a no-bar guy.

Thanks!  And numbers beat weeks of goose-eggs...even little #s and slow(er) paces. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

DoppleBock

"Help" - That sound like a possitive thing

My goal for 2013 is to stop logging runs etc on RA ~ I need to run less.

2012 > 6,000 miles

2013 goal is to run a lot less ~ Maybe as little as 4,000 miles.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

DB falls outside the 95% use case.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Sharz96

I planned on a run today of somewhere between 8 and 12 miles...  That pace bunny thing got in my head at about mile 10 and so I turned back around and ran for over 3 hours, 21 miles, my longest practice run ever.   Take that, pace bunny  {{{Kick to the Ribs}}} !   I don't know why it helps, but it does.  All good.  And good luck on the 2013 in 2013!

I have to laugh, both at you and myself, because I’m the same way.  My runs used to be the nice even 3.0, 4.0, 6.0 runs, because I had them down to the tenth miles.  But ever since I started racing that bunny with its fraction daily average,  I’ve run around the block an extra time at the end of runs, way too many times, just to stay ahead of the dang bunny.

Yesterday was the biggest one, though.  My longest long run is 10 miles, and I did that again yesterday, under horrible conditions.  About 23/24F (not bad) except that the multi-use river trail I was running was awful.  A sheet of ice under a dusting of snow.  SO slick, I had to completely change my gait and speed (short, slow stride) and my legs were exhausted from trying to control the sliding.  (I’m quite sore today!) By about 7 miles in, I couldn’t even move fast enough to keep warm, as the temps dropped during the run.   I really would have quit at 8.5 miles, when I reached the car, without finishing the full segment of the river trail I was running first.  But I did it.  Damn pace bunny!

~shaking fist to ceiling~ As God is my witness, I will never fall behind pace bunny again!

npaden

I don't think this site makes me personally run more because of the logs, pace bunnies, streaks, etc. as much as just seeing that I am really not running that much by looking at other people's logs.

When I mention to a co-worker that I ran 100+ miles in a month, they look at me like I'm a freak.  Then I look at some of the folks who are regular posters on here and they might have 200+, 300+, 400+ and even 500+ miles logged in a month.  I look at my puny little 100+ mile month that I have logged and think I'm barely touching the surface of actually running decent miles.

That's how this site helps me run more.  If I didn't have the comparison to some of the folks logging serious miles, I would probably settle in at my 25 - 30 mpw and think I was really getting the miles in.  Instead, I'm shooting for around 35 - 40 mpw as a normal week and going to try to knock out some 60+ mpw during the peak of my marathon training.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I don't think this site makes me personally run more because of the logs, pace bunnies, streaks, etc. as much as just seeing that I am really not running that much by looking at other people's logs.

When I mention to a co-worker that I ran 100+ miles in a month, they look at me like I'm a freak.  Then I look at some of the folks who are regular posters on here and they might have 200+, 300+, 400+ and even 500+ miles logged in a month.  I look at my puny little 100+ mile month that I have logged and think I'm barely touching the surface of actually running decent miles.

That's how this site helps me run more.  If I didn't have the comparison to some of the folks logging serious miles, I would probably settle in at my 25 - 30 mpw and think I was really getting the miles in.  Instead, I'm shooting for around 35 - 40 mpw as a normal week and going to try to knock out some 60+ mpw during the peak of my marathon training.

ConfusedHuh?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

npaden

ConfusedHuh?

It's not the gadgets on the site that cause me to run more, it's the knowledge that I've gained from users on the forums.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Exactly. The use of this site has actually helped you to see that you had not been running enough, and since using this site you are running more.

Sheesh!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

BeeRunB

Regular use of this site keeps me from going mad...

...it's lonely out there in the outskirts....

...on the trail....

...in the end room...

...on the TM...

...staring at the blank wall...

...wondering why it eventually looks like a negative of the game of Asteroids...

...or bugs crawling...

...no, those are just the floaters in my eyes....

Shocked