Running with a cough (Read 10617 times)

Okay, here's another sickness related thread. I caught a cold Saturday when I ran a race I was underdressed for. So I took Sunday, Monday, AND Tuesday off. Well now it’s Wednesday, and I'm feeling mostly better, but am also registered to run in a Turkey Trot tomorrow. Would it be better to hydrate and rest up today or go for a run and get the rust out? I know the answer to this would be personal opinion, but I’d like to know yours. I did the "neck up" test, and I'm still fighting a cough (loose mucus)- But I don't want to rest too much to where I'm hurting instead of helping... Let me know what you think. Thanks
    "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
    Wingz

Professional Noob

My experience is that when I'm sick and I try to run it wipes me out and makes my recovery longer. It's your body, and only you know what "feeling mostly better" means. Does it mean you need one more rest day? Or does it mean that you're ready for an easy test run to see how things work and to keep from climbing the walls? If I try to run hard right after being sick, well, it's not a pretty picture. Fortunately for me, when I'm sick I also dont' feel much like running either, so it's all good. Well, mostly. Wink Good luck on your Turkey Trot, however it works out!

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

Also keep in mind that most of the experienced runners will tell you it takes about 3 weeks of inactivity for you to really lose running fitness, so I'm guessing that 4 days probably won't hurt your training, but making yourself sick again might. I don't think it's resting too much if you're still dealing with mucous and you want to race Thursday.

JakeKnight

Race. Run like the wind blows. Not sure what you'll feel like after - although I've never been so sick that a run didn't make me feel better for hours. But I do know that for something slightly less than 24 minutes and 41 seconds, you'll feel just fine. Your legs might hurt and your lungs might ache ... but you won't be thinking about your cough. Run. And then Dr. Jake prescribes copious helpings of turkey, stuffing, pie, and assorted goodies, followed by excessive amounts of the alcohol of your choice. Which - wait for it - kills germs. So it must be good. For bonus points, enjoy your beverage while watching the Cowboys slaughter the poor Buccaneers. Ignore all advice to the contrary. Doctors are sissies. Smile Post your PR time tomorrow. So I can admire it while gnawing on a wing.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Wingz

Professional Noob

So I can admire it while gnawing on a wing.
            Hey, watch those teeth! Wink Evil grin Tongue -Wingz

Thanks for the advice. I toughed it out Thursday and run my heart out, it was so much fun. I came home and felt awful, but after a glass of "emergen-c" vitamin C drink, I was roaring to go again. My cough has gone away and I'm feeling fine. Smile Thanks for your guys' input.
              "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost