Political Activism Regarding MMJ... (Read 420 times)

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I suspect you may think my above changes are absurd; it's likely because you have a cellphone, value it, and consider it an important tool in your life.  However if we took them away many lives would be saved and there are no Constitutional issues in the way.

People tend not to care about things they don't personally use and are perfectly happy to legislate them away.  I have never personally used weed and never will so the fact that it is illegal doesn't bother me.  However I can also understand some of the arguments being put forward, especially from a medical perspective.

In general, I think it is very poor strategy to try and attack something by taking it away from law-abiding citizens (especially when pesky Constitutional amendments are involved).  It would seem to make much more sense to go after criminals.  People should secure their weapons, but it is already illegal to steal one.  Perhaps we should release all the small-time pot convicts to make room for 5-year sentences for anyone caught stealing or in posession of a stolen weapon.  Smile

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I suspect you may think my above changes are absurd; it's likely because you have a cellphone, value it, and consider it an important tool in your life.  However if we took them away many lives would be saved and there are no Constitutional issues in the way.

People tend not to care about things they don't personally use and are perfectly happy to legislate them away.  I have never personally used weed and never will so the fact that it is illegal doesn't bother me.  However I can also understand some of the arguments being put forward, especially from a medical perspective.

In general, I think it is very poor strategy to try and attack something by taking it away from law-abiding citizens (especially when pesky Constitutional amendments are involved).  It would seem to make much more sense to go after criminals.  People should secure their weapons, but it is already illegal to steal one.  Perhaps we should release all the small-time pot convicts to make room for 5-year sentences for anyone caught stealing or in posession of a stolen weapon.  Smile

I'm not sure what happened and why it posted this twice  but I just wanted to say twice I guess thank you for your post !

But one thing is clear:  With society becoming more liberal, marijuana use is likely to increase regardless of any legislation that keeps itl illegal.

Is there any data to support this? I seem to recall that marijuana use has been basically steady since about the early 1980's.

As for the original topic, I don't have a dog in this fight one way or another. I would not care much if marijuana were legalized for recreational use--t would not affect my parenting strategies in any  meaningful way--but I think the current medical marijuana laws are just dumb. Either it's a medical drug and it should be prescribed like other medical drugs (delivered in pharmacies, not some specialized weed clinic) or it's not.

Oh and I think it's great we're doing gun control in this thread too.

Runners run

Stop being a square, man.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Guns should be dispensed in pharmacies, by prescription only.

kcam

Is there any data to support this? I seem to recall that marijuana use has been basically steady since about the early 1980's.

As for the original topic, I don't have a dog in this fight one way or another. I would not care much if marijuana were legalized for recreational use--t would not affect my parenting strategies in any  meaningful way--but I think the current medical marijuana laws are just dumb. Either it's a medical drug and it should be prescribed like other medical drugs (delivered in pharmacies, not some specialized weed clinic) or it's not.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/high-school-youth-trends

Makes some sense to me that as perceived risk of use goes down use could go up.   I think 'the more liberal society' that legalizes marijuana for medical use and even recreational use (CO?, WA?) might contribute to a lower perceived risk of using marijuana among teens.

xhristopher

C-R

Just because it deserves another read.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

beachrun

I read something about what pot does to the brain once, but I forget what it was.

Kudos to the OP.

Kalsarikännit

Just because it deserves another read.

A long, off-topic post deserves to be read a fourth time?  No thanks.

Here is my beef with the pro-pot people:  Stop treating me like I am have the intelligence of an ice cube tray. When stoners start breaking into long diatribes about how they are in favor of legalization because of the decline in the use of hemp in rope, and my, isn't that a shame, because rope in the 1800's was just so darn strong, I wan't to scream. Also, this b.s. argument that sitting at home getting stoned is better than getting drunk and plowing into a van full of nuns. Dumb arguement. Debate your substance on its own merits and drawbacks. It would be like me defending eating a Big Mac and fries for every meal by saying, "well it is better than me eating deep fried butter".  Lastly, these medical marijuana clinics are a joke and everyone knows it. The worst thing is, I think there are people that could actually benefit from medical marijuana. I know it can be helpful to people going through chemo.  But that's not what these storefronts are for. Pretending that they are just goes back to treating people like they are dumb.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Tiefsa

If marijuana was legalized or decriminalized cartels would disappear rather quickly and the associated violence that goes with said cartels. If marijuana was decriminalized or legalized then human greed wouldn't be a motivating factor and folks like my wife and I would not fall prey to folks seeking to rob us for their own monetary gain.

Folks like my wife and I are caught in the middle of this drug war. I know many folks who grow that have been robbed. They often go unreported because of their strong distrust of law enforcement. Folks that know this will exploit that mindset. Thusly, in some cases, the violence escalates until someone is killed...over a plant.

What happened to you totally sucks, but I don't agree the drug war will end if marijuana is legal.  Do you really think all the gangs and people that sell marijuana will magically disappear.  Gangs will find something else to sell.  Greed lasts forever.  Do you really think gangs will be like, "Looks like marijuana is legal.  Let's all be friends and go be productive members of society now."

Also, the whole thing it's a plant gets me so mad!  Cocaine is made from a plant too.  Heroin is made from flowers.  People die dealing that stuff too.

Another argument that makes me crazy, now that I'm on a roll is the, "It's okay man.  It's natural!"   I don't rub poison ivy on my skin, because its natural.  I don't eat the naturally growing berries on every tree, because some of them are poisonous!

zonykel

I read something about what pot does to the brain once, but I forget what it was.

Kudos to the OP.

I read somewhere that smoking causes cancer. So I stopped reading. :-)

xor

Two things.  I live in one of the two legalized states.  The argument used by the pro folks that swung/swang the vote was about... money.  Seriously. Our state is broke.  "If we legalize it, we can legislate it. And tax it."  cha-ching.  The same people voted the year before to privatize the previously state-run liquor store business.  Only to find out that the state found a way to make more money off that... by taxing the holy fuck out of privatized liquor store sales.  Wee.  When it came to legalization here, it was all about money.

Second thing.  I grew up being offered The Pot almost daily from the time I was 11 or 12 because it was the 70s and all the older brothers, sisters, and cousins smoked, and... well, it was the times.  I was then offered The Pot almost daily throughout college because I put myself through school playing in bar bands.  Fast forward to now, where I'm offered The Pot frequently (ok, not daily, but freakishly often) because of the chemo angle.  Strange admission: except for second-hand smoke, which PS The Pot STINKS, I have never once smoked. Or eaten brownies or whatever.  So I'm a big freakin square.

...which I use as a set-up to say... although I'm a big square, I will ask the question: are these evil "cartels" and druglords really all about The Pot?  I was under the impression that weed was a piece of the pie.  There are other pieces.  And lots of other pies.  Any talk about legalizing weed taking away these evil cartels or whatever seems to be, well, great silliness.

Or maybe I've just gotten into Breaking Bad a little too much.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

holy shit people, don't forget we are talking about one of the LEAST physically toxic substances known to man.  One that cannot be OD'd on.  One that studies have shown to be in no way physically addictive; or have any long term impact on brain function; or even do much of any significant damage to the lungs depending on how it's smoked.   Not to mention the amount of money incarceration of non-violent drug offenders in our wonderful corporately owned prisons is costing all of us in tax money, or how much has been wasted in the "war on drugs."

Oh well, the tide is slowly turning as more states get the message that having loads of non-violent offenders in prison, shelling out OT for cops to chase low level dealers, and all the other expense that goes into the drug war is completely not worth the huge chunk of budget it currently uses up.  CO and WA are only the beginning.

Peace out, now I'll go chill on the MTB-ing boards where the views are a bit more open.

xor

No offense, but your view does not sound "open".  It sounds just as closed-minded from the other side of the mirror.

This is a weird statement, btw: "or even do much of any significant damage to the lungs depending on how it's smoked."

1. How much is "much of any significance"?  Is "some" ok?

2.  ..."depending on how it is smoked" is a fun caveat.  A lot of things can be dangerous or not dangerous "depending on how it is utilized".

Anyway, I'm ambivalent on it.  Except the shit STINKS.  And don't tell me about "today's weed, the good stuff, doesn't stink".  That's a bunch of bs.  I smell it every thursday, friday, and saturday nights on the streets of my neighborhood.  Yup.  Still stinks.