High Energy Food Suggestions? (Read 136 times)

cdboom

I recently increased my mileage from 3 to 6 and have noticed a serious drop in energy. I know that I need to consume more calories, but was wondering if anyone has any "super food" suggestions that help them increase energy but don't cause side aches. I want to consume calories that will help me achieve my mileage and muscle gain goals, not ones that just fill me up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks you!!

Carly Boom

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Bonkin is wrong.

You want the raspberry ones.  With frosting.  They are my go-to pre-race food.

Unfrosted Pop-Tarts are the eighth deadly sin.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

On a more serious note, as long as you are not at a significant calorie deficit, the lower energy is likely not due to calories or any food demands, but because of a lack of current fitness to support the distances you run.

I don't like to eat before runs, other than long races.

After runs, I try to eat something with a good mix of carbs and protein, but I'm a simple guy: PB+J, rice and beans, chocolate milk.  That sort of thing.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Never seen anyone drink chocolate milk with PB&J and rice and beans mixed in.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

You need a good blender to get it mixed right.

Emil Zatopek

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Who needs Runners World or such magazines when there are fabulously informative threads on all important beginner topics, right here.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TJoseph

I like unfrosted strawberry Pop Tarts, but it seemed intuitive that the frosted Pop Tarts would provide more energy.  A quick Google search reveals Kellogs list them as having same 200 calories! Obviously 200 calories is not going to fuel a six mile run, you are going to need to eat three of them for that.

MTA:  I am pretty sure eating three Pop Tarts would give me a side ache (at least a stomach ache) and would contribute nothing to building muscle, so these are probably not what the OP is looking for.  Personally, my runs are best if I don't eat anything at least three hours before I run.

Walk-Jogger

Pop Tarts contain trans-fats. Just saying....

Retired &  Loving It

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I like the organic pop-tarts from Nature's Path!

Agree with rgilbert (hey, we seem to be on the same page!), for this distance any extra calories won't change anything. You need to work up your endurance and strength to get you through the distance, the fatigue is not based on a lack of calories or specific nutrients. Your glycogen store should take you through at least 2-3 hours of running, even if you run hard.

Some protein (exchange it for some fat and carbohydrates) will help with muscle buildup, but a normal American diet (even vegetarian) contains enough protein to cover your daily need, and too much protein can promote osteoporosis, so I doubt this will improve your running.

Simple sugars can cause GI isses, like side stitches or nausea, more complex carbohydrates work better. You can try gels or sports drinks with maltodextrin (no or just very little glucose and/or fructose), and for your distance of 6 miles, about 1 gel (with water), or 1-2 cups of sports drink should get you through easily.

What also could help is to make sure you get enough calories throughout the day, to keep your glycogen stores filled, not just during the run (stored glycogen gives the body energy fast, while it takes extra energy and time to digest food and drinks).

Run for fun.

Christirei

Classic pre run food for most people include bananas, granola bars, toast with nut butter, bowl of oatmeal, piece of fruit.... But personally I run at least six miles just about every morning and eat nothing beforehand, stomach can't handle it. My only exceptn is race day when have to wake up many hours before I run and I will eat some granola or something like that

Oh, I know they're poison.  They are just one thing that never, ever causes me GI issues.  I only do them before races.

And they're delicious poison!  With SEVEN vitamins and minerals!

Pop Tarts contain trans-fats. Just saying....

Emil Zatopek

ultramarathon/triathlete

My friend trains with lots of this.  ---^

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                            Gatorade Endurance Team

Running Chick

Have you tried quinoa?  It is a gluten-free food, natural, it is actually a seed.  I  wrote an article about it awhile ago.  And I have had great results with it myself.  I would be happy to share a recipe or two with you.  It is one of those perfect foods.  Just writing about it is making me want to whip some up right now!!!!!!!!  love.

Walk-Jogger

Retired &  Loving It