I ran a 3.8 mile 5K this past weekend! (Read 891 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent, you seem cranky. Are you by chance hosting a party for 200 strangers this weekend and do you by chance have a baby with a 103.5 fever at home? mta: Also will the course be accurate?
    Define: accurate. Regardless, the course will be precise.

#artbydmcbride

Many marathoners mention experiencing a "wall" at some of the bigger events. Will your marathon also provide a "wall", Trent?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Many marathoners mention experiencing a "wall" at some of the bigger events. Will your marathon also provide a "wall", Trent?
        Yep. Runners will hit the wall around mile 1.2. It gets worse from there.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Regardless, the course will be precise.
          In other words, the course is repeatably inaccurate year-to-year.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In other words, the course is repeatably inaccurate year-to-year.
            Your words, not mine.
              I tried finding gObLuE's manifesto on measurement but failed. From personal experience, it was quite the eye-opener. He said something like inaccuracy is the very fabric of our existence and, as such, I now understand that even a certified 5k course is never, ever, ever exactly 5000 meters long. Ennay was also involved in the discussion. Those engineering types always roll together. In fact, I'm actually disappointed that gObLuE didn't link to this prior discussion. Maybe he's shy? Unknown.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I tried finding gObLuE's manifesto on measurement but failed. From personal experience, it was quite the eye-opener. He said something like inaccuracy is the very fabric of our existence and, as such, I now understand that even a certified 5k course is never, ever, ever exactly 5000 meters long. Ennay was also involved in the discussion. Those engineering types always roll together. In fact, I'm actually disappointed that gObLuE didn't link to this prior discussion. Maybe he's shy? Unknown.
                Uncertainty is built into the fabric of the universe. And gLoBuLe is often absent, but never shy. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/f60fbb7d6eb249a8952c0474821fb571#focus MTA: Though in the case of the original post, course being ~0.7mi long is all about human error (not laying the course out correctly) as opposed to any argument about uncertainty or course certification.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

#artbydmcbride

I once ran a 5k that was precisely 5000 meters long. Smile

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

True dat
                    I have no idea what just happened here.

Best Present Ever

Trent, you seem cranky. Are you by chance hosting a party for 200 strangers this weekend and do you by chance have a baby with a 103.5 fever at home?
                      sorry to hear about the sick baby.
                        Uncertainty is built into the fabric of the universe. And gLoBuLe is often absent, but never shy. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/f60fbb7d6eb249a8952c0474821fb571#focus MTA: Though in the case of the original post, course being ~0.7mi long is all about human error (not laying the course out correctly) as opposed to any argument about uncertainty or course certification.
                        Very nice work. I especially enjoy the picture of what I think is a platinum-iridium bar. For some reason it makes you look like a superhero.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Very nice work.
                          Thank you. Lank, I must warn you that I changed the tagline to "Uncertainty is woven into the fabric of the Universe..." (as opposed to built). Because it sounds more poetic. And because I am a dork.

Feeling the growl again

This statement - is not the same as this statement - And no, USATF encourages course measurements to be ~0.1% long. Better too long than too short.
                            At the risk of poking the monkey here, actually they don't encourage it they mandate that the measurement be 0.1% long. This is not to say that the actual course is 0.1% long; this is called the "short course prevention factor" because it would be more precise to say that this is mean to guarantee (by taking into account the KNOWN variability in any measurement) that the course is not short. They are basically trying to make sure that the course is definitely not short by over-measuring the minimal amount necessary to accomplish this. Even if a 5K measures 5003 and 5004 meters on the two certification measurements, it may well actually be 4999 meters long and this may show in subsequent measurements. Hence the goal of 5005. I am sure there is some statistical analyses that generated the 0.1%. I once wheeled a 5K course I was certain was wrong 3 times myself. Carefully. I was shocked at the lack of precision of my 3 measurements (although all 3 showed it to be significantly long). It's harder than one thinks. Of course, none of this takes into account the weaving generated by dodging flying howler monkeys. Good luck with the race this weekend Trent (and the sick baby).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Running Dad

The funny thing is, there was no apparent reason for the course being too long, and nobody said anything about it until after the race. Somehow someone messed up. I wonder how a typical low-budget local 5K measures a course? Do they use google maps, or is the course measured more precisely somehow?
                              That is so funny that you mentioned that. I ran a 5k earlier this year and was "5k" marked and everything.. There was also a half-marathon going on too. the half started on the road while we started in the parking lot of the local community college yet we both had the same 1 mile markers... how does that work out.. I ended up finishing almost 2 minutes behind where I wanted to but what can you do? Everyone running the 5k said it was long and even looking at my GPS it said it was over a 1/4 mile long, not much but still long. So back to the point, when they were displaying the course on the website they used Google Maps as if to say it was measured that way.. ok I'm done...
                              Things to do this year:
                              Not get an injury
                              Things done this year:
                              Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??