Getting back into it, some tips on the best way to do it? (Read 187 times)

queenfool

So, I know how to deal with getting 5 days a week of 30-40 minutes run to turn into an actual training cycle.

However, it's been a super long time since I've dealt with getting to that point. I'm currently at 30-35 minutes 3 times a week comfortably (9-9:30 pace) plus lifting about twice a week. I'm not sore or all that tired at all.

However, I'm not sure how to integrate more days (goal is 5 days a week, I'm 100% sure that some weeks will be 6 and some will be 4 because I prefer it that way) along with a long run (currently on Sunday I run about 5 minutes longer than the rest of the week) and hopefully some sort of quality day.

I'm mostly a 5k gal, although I'd like to try longer distances and I suspect that I will enjoy the 10k more than I enjoy 5ks.

Oh, if it matters, I'm 20 years old and not injury prone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

kk_kittenkat

I think it depends on your goals, do you want to run longer as your primary goal or run faster?

Also, running more days a week isn't always the best option, again depending on where you are trying to get to.

queenfool

I guess a little of both. I would like to run a bit longer than I am now and get faster, mostly in the 5k/10k distances. I've never actually raced a 10k, but my best 5k was 21:14 when I was 16, and I would REALLY like to crack 21, although as of yesterday I'm more in the 26 range at the moment.  Honestly, I really want to get the best 5k/10k times that I can while I'm still young and have more injury resistance/recovery ability.

Running more days a week is usually good for me. Especially for my mental health. I'm in college and without some sort of cardiovascular exercise most days I definitely get waaay more stressed.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Just add a day. Do 4 days for a few weeks, then add another day. Do 5 days for a few weeks, then work on getting that weekend long run up to where it is around 90 minutes or so (so it is about 25-30 percent of your total weekly time running). You will need the endurance of a longer run to get you the faster 10k times you want. After that all becomes comfortable, make one of your weekly runs a tempo pace run. Then a few weeks later, make another shorter run an alternating interval/hill workout. One week is intervals, the next week it is hills. You will then have one long, one tempo, one interval/hill workouts each week plus two easy pace recovery days.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

kk_kittenkat

I guess a little of both. I would like to run a bit longer than I am now and get faster, mostly in the 5k/10k distances. I've never actually raced a 10k, but my best 5k was 21:14 when I was 16, and I would REALLY like to crack 21, although as of yesterday I'm more in the 26 range at the moment.  Honestly, I really want to get the best 5k/10k times that I can while I'm still young and have more injury resistance/recovery ability.

Running more days a week is usually good for me. Especially for my mental health. I'm in college and without some sort of cardiovascular exercise most days I definitely get waaay more stressed.

I'm a big believer in doing as you feel. Too many people get caught up in the training trap of 'must do this workout, must do that, must do tempo or reps. Must take my GPS and HR etc'.

Get in tune with what works for you, get to know your natural heartbeat and what makes your body and mind happy.

You are young and have years of good running ahead of you. Good luck and enjoy! Smile

Julia1971

I think you would do well to just find a 10K training program online or from browsing books in your local library or book store.  I think what you're looking for is pretty common in most plans.  It looks like Runners World charges for their plans now but there are other cheaper options that also include general running advice that is really helpful for new runners.

As far as transitioning from 3 days of 30-35 minutes, since it seems like you're not tired at all, I would just add the fourth day this week.  Then I'd work on making my long run truly longer than my other runs by adding 10 minutes to my weekend run every week while leaving the weekday runs alone.  When I was doing long runs of 45-60 minutes for a few weeks, then I'd add the speed work.  As far as the type of speed work, I had my biggest leap in 10K performance when I did goal 10K pace workouts every week.  I was younger then, like you.

I like that you think you'll "enjoy" 10Ks.  Smile