YaxTrax Run Opinion (Read 201 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

The little coils on the bottom of my YaxTrax were always breaking.  I'd wear them for as long as I could, but eventually I'd have to toss them.

Maybe I should mention that one of the stores that used to carry yaktrax, doesn't anymore because of the complaints and breakages. (or at least they didn't when the stabilicers came out, but I haven't been in there in years) We used to pick them up along the trail where they'd fall off.

Most people that I'm seeing on trails these days usually have the Kahtoola micropikes and on roads / sidewalks something like the studs I linked to.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

My Yak Trax have lasted for three seasons and are still in good shape.

They work well in snow, not so well on ice where spikes would be better.

I have been told that cheaper @knock offs@ break easily.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Dumb question, but I am not a DIY.  Do you drill a pilot hole before screwing the sheet metal screws, or just screw them in?

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

Just screw them in.

For those of you who wear Stabilcers Sport Runners...where do you buy replacement cleats?  I see they're only $5.50 for 25...but shipping is ~$14, which is absurd.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Dumb question, but I am not a DIY.  Do you drill a pilot hole before screwing the sheet metal screws, or just screw them in?

Personally, I think running in screws into any surface takes an amount of skill.

If you are not handy with a drill, things that would make it easier:

1. Use a nut driver that is magnetic and fits the head of the screw (as opposed to using a flat head/phillips bit)

2. Drill pilot holes (should be smaller diameter than the shank of the screw not including the threads).  Just go through the rubber (~1/8").  This makes it easier to accurately select where the screw will end up and easier to start the screw.

If you are handy with a drill, use the nut driver and just run'em in.

**Ask me about streaking**

Hoban-Jay

My Yak Trax have lasted for three seasons and are still in good shape.

They work well in snow, not so well on ice where spikes would be better.

I have been told that cheaper @knock offs@ break easily.

I've had mine for at least 15 years.  I think they cost me about $20 back then.  They're just starting to break now, I hope they'll last the rest of the season, but when they finally give out, I'll defintely buy another pair....unless I'm living in Fiji...

JimR

I just drive screws in an older pair of trails.  About 6-8 around the perimeter so there's no chance of them pushing through.