Maintaining endurance while fasting (Read 150 times)

Gizmo2019

hello-

anyone have any tips on how to maintain all the work i put in the last 8.5 mos during a month of fasting? I’m fine with my weekday workouts of speed, intervals, short hills, and a 45 min run. I’m keeping my speed moderate and effort at about 80-85%. All workouts are 20-30 min and the 45 minuter.

i just can’t figure out what to do with my long run on the weekend. I’m up to 6 mi (big for me). And my schedule is increase 1 mile every TWO weeks. I have my first 10k in oct and plan to marathon in July 2020.

should I stick with 6 miles while I fast or try to increase? It’s only 3-4 weeks of fasting. No food/water from sunrise to sunset. And I can only run in the morning (while I’m fasting) verse after I break my fast in the evening.

an amazing likeness

If you cant move your run to be after Iftar, then just pause your training a bit during the month. Easing off to accommodate your fast will not throw out your 8.5 months of gains if you keep some workouts. Easing off could mean shorter runs, or going to every other day, or whatever works well into your life demands.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

What Milktruck says.  Doing 2-3 short workouts a week is likely good enough to maintain your fitness and the break from your training schedule might even help with some extra motivation at the end of the month.  If you are strict with your fasting, where you won't even drink water during the day, try and get that run in before your morning meal.  This might mean getting up even earlier than you currently have to.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Since you are not totally abstaining from food during this time I would say you will get enough to maintain or increase muscle mass during your after sunset meal. Blood glucose levels can drop during a long run and perhaps you will get up to doing a 12 mile run by the end of the month, but I don't think increasing your mileage would be a issue . I have done many long morning runs before breakfast. Not drinking water could become an issue on very hot days, just be sure to hydrate well the night before. The advantage of fasting is that you will not be using energy for digestion and you may feel lighter. Also, your body will detoxify and burn up waste which at first may make you feel sick, a healing crisis, but eventually you will feel much better. I have also seen discussions of running before eating to train the body to use fat stores instead of glucose, not sure what the verdict on that is. You are doing well and are already almost doing the 10k distance. You have lots of time to improve your speed.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

berylrunner

Rick

Body has plenty of reserves for runs up to two hours.   Even more at easier efforts.  Recovery may be a little rough if you don't replenish after running.  If that is a concern, do you run early so you can rehydrate before sunrise.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Gizmo2019

If you cant move your run to be after Iftar, then just pause your training a bit during the month. Easing off to accommodate your fast will not throw out your 8.5 months of gains if you keep some workouts. Easing off could mean shorter runs, or going to every other day, or whatever works well into your life demands.

πŸ˜‰

thank you!

Gizmo2019

Thanks everyone. This is helpful. I’d have to get up (or stay up) by 2:30ish am to be back after an hr, rehydrate and stop eating by 4:22 am. No treadmill at home and I’m too scared to run outside at that time. That’s when the bob cats and package thieves come out. My workout room isn’t open at that time either. I thought of all possibilities but I can’t run at an “eating time.” But it’s good to hear  that I won’t lose much. I ran about 4.5 mi today, one speed then sprint (my longest during weekdays) and I was slightly faint. I will probably cutback.

Ive also heard about training your body to burn fat only, putting your body in ketosis. I have actually done that and it was not fun. I basically thought I was dying. I think the problem is my normal run time is about 4-5 hrs after I stop eating (when fasting) and I can’t replenish till about 8 hrs after that. I also do my long (for me) runs without breakfast bc I get horrible stomach cramps when I’ve finished. That’s getting better with experience, but I also need sips of water/electrolytes about 30-60 min afterwards in order to keep an upright posture and “heal” from that run.

so I know I need to slow down but why does my obsessed mind think I could probably just do another 6 this Saturday?!? I mean I have a whole bunch of dependents to look after AFTER my run too.

if I went out this Saturday, it would be 2 hrs after I stopped eating and couldn’t replenish till 13 hrs later...

Skip the Fast...

300m- 37 sec.

Gizmo2019

Skip the Fast...

πŸ˜€that’d be too easy tho!

its just a couple more weeks for me. I ended up skipping my long run only due to family circumstances (kids got sick). I’ll try to go out there again next weekend. It’ seems 4-5 miles at the time that I run is my max before my body starts freaking out.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I thought this was an interesting perspective from a pro athlete who fasts for Ramadan: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/05/09/enes-kanter-when-ramadan-nba-playoffs-collide-my-faith-is-my-strength/

Gizmo2019

πŸ‘

genebeveridge

link spam