"I told you so" - rolled ankle (Read 1156 times)

As if what I wanted to hear from my husband was "I told you so"...that was in reference to how playing soccer is a risky sport for someone who enjoys running as much as I do. Last night, I rolled my right ankle during a soccer game. This was the first time I have ever hurt my ankle, and it totally caught me off gaurd. I came down on my toes and ankle couldn't support me and it went forward and to the right, meanwhile my toes stayed where I had put them. I heard a nasty crunch and then felt the pain. I limped off the field - I have NEVER limped off the field. The funny thing is that my first thought was "oh no, I can't run, what did I do??"...Fighting tears of pain I took off my cleats, I watched as my foot was shaking on it's on from the pain and then took a deep breath. After about five minutes the sharp pain stopped and the throbbing kicked in. I moved my ankle and slowly it felt okay. I put my cleat back on and stood up, I walked around, it hurt but only if I pointed my toes, or put pressure on the outside of my foot. So, being the stubborn 'walk it off' kind of player I am, I was back on the field (we only had one sub for the entire game). When I got home I iced 10 on and 10 off. By the time I crawled into bed at 1:00 a.m., my ankle was pretty swollen and had lovely bruises all around. What I can't figure out is why my calf muscle hurts so badly. I mean, my ankle hurts but when I walk it is my calf muscle that hurts the most. I'm going to write this one off an ankle sprain and spare the doctor a visit from me. I'll take off from running until maybe Sunday, and then give it an easy attempt and see how it feels. I think my legs were simply too tired from running the HM on Sunday. I pushed my body a little too much in two days. I should have sat out from the soccer game last night. Interesting thing is, while I was playing the game my quads stopped hurting, I guess that built up lactic acid was finally getting it's release!! Has anyone else ever rolled an ankle? Does it sound like that is what I did? I'm just guessing that the so called term of what I did was a "rolled ankle". Live and learn. Angry

Michelle

Scout7

I've sprained both ankles. I've actually managed to sprain them so severely that I current have bone chips floating in each of them (I sheared off bone). I've torn the ligaments which resulted in bruising from tips of toes to halfway up the calf. I'd say you sprained it, but it's not too bad.
        Oh my, bone chips, yuck. No lingering pain from that? Sounds like the calf hurting is pretty typical with an akle sprain. My husband described to me of when he sprained his ankle playing basketball some years back. He ended up on crutches. Mine isn't that bad. It hurts, but I still have full motion with it. It's hot to the touch, and still quite puffy, but I can walk. I think it's a blessing in disguise at this point - forcing me to lay low and let my body recover.

Michelle

Scout7

Sometimes there's aching. And they certainly aren't anywhere near as flexible as they used to be.
            I'm not taking this rolled ankle thing so lightly anymore. It might be time for a trip to the dr...the bruising is fading but the swelling is spreading and getting worse, my ankle looks deformed!! Motion is now limited, but walking on flat surfaces is okay...I look really funny going down steps!! Stupid soccer game.

Michelle

I love soccer, but when I heard of your strong interst I was worried I would read a post like this from you. I coached for years, still ref games and at your age was lured into playing a couple of years cause I just have that passion for the game that you have expressed. The running...the competition! One Wed. night {adult soccer league night} I was sprinting as hard as I could go for a loose ball and then it just happened. My foot gave way, rolled violently and snapped{that same crunch you heard} Dragged myself off. No going back for me. Hell I was nearly in tears. Luckily someone told me not to remove my shoe because the swelling that would take place. went to Dr.,put in a boot for a week or so, but I had to use it 'cause of my job. It got better, but its never been quite the same, tender and weakish. I didn't swear off soccer just yet, but after tearing my miniscus in my knee I did. To control that swelling you need compression. Wrap it up good with ace bandage and stay off of it for awhile. And Motrin! It doesn't sound as bad as mine, you did continue playing! Oh yea, elevate it as much as possible. Good luck and if you continue to play buy a nice ankle support for both ankles. And as competive a runner you seem to be wanting to achieve 21 5k, give it up or be prepared to play and run in pain 'cause "Soccer is dangerous to YOUR HEALTH!" Ricky

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

pREDator--- I have such mixed emotions at this point. I really like soccer, but I am not happy with how this injury has halted my running. It all happened in a split second and during that split second I had all sorts of thoughts rush through my mind, the obvious being "WOW - pain, what was that??"...and then the realization that it wasn't just a cramp or pinched nerve and how I needed to sit down. I have never had this happen to me ever. My ankles never gave any indication of being weak. But with soccer, as you know, with constant speed and sudden stops and turns there are too many chances for something to go wrong. I'm not sure what I'll do. My boss is sponsoring my team for the next session. On Saturday I go to order the new soccer jerseys and all. I'll definitely wrap my ankle, as you suggested. I've been doing the ice thing, but I'd really like to put heat on it, that would feel really good right about now. I'm happy that my legs don't hurt anymore from the race this past Sunday but now I'm still unable to run and I can't help but feel that I really need to run. By the way, I have total respect for refs, let me tell you...I HATE when players or coaches, give the ref a hard time. My husband was ref for a handful of games for our kids during intramural soccer. After doing that he had a whole new view on the ref. Parents are brutal. The comments some of the parents made were totally uncalled for, especially since none of them offered to step in as a ref when needed. I was field marshall for a two day tournament, and there was one ref that missed a lot of calls and was very generous with the yellow and red cards. I had parents screaming at me - I was to the point where I called into "headquarters" for the tournament and found out that EVERYONE was complaining about that ref. Made for a long day. That was the only time I had true issues with a ref, and I think I have to blame age, he was rather up there in years and wasn't able to get around on the field properly to see all angles. PLUS - his vision seemed poor. Have you ever had any major parent/ref/coach conflicts? Tonight I go to my first coaches meeting. I'm assistant coach for my youngest son's team. This is a first for me. I'm excited. I think coaching a team of U7 players will be fun. Thanks for sharing your experience and offering suggestions. As I'm finding out, this isn't going away over night like I had hoped. I really don't want a boot like you mentioned, or to have to seriously consider giving up my unhealthy sport...but I REALLY don't want to stop running. I don't always make the best choices. I'll give it a few more days before heading to the dr. Elevation, compression, ice and meds.

Michelle

Scout7

Michelle, For the record, you can injured running, too (I know, I know, hard to believe). If you really love soccer, then I say keep doing it. Just be smart about how you play. Accidents happen. As a wise person once said, You take the good, you take the bad, and there you have......The Facts of Life.
                    Angry I'm very frustrated at this point. I actually went and called the dr to get advice - and she had me go see her a little bit ago. She's concerned that there might be a fracture involved, due to the progressive swelling up the front of my ankle and lower leg. So, next up is an x-ray. *sigh* The clock is ticking....I don't want to miss the 5k race on the 31st.

Michelle

AKKKkkkkk sorry to hear that. Hopefully the xray will show nothing and it's just a bad sprain. Hope your ankle heals ASAP Michelle!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

This is tough. Hope it will heal fast enough for your race on the 31st. Good luck. Ewa
                        I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                          That's really tough, hope it's a sprain and that you heal quickly.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*fingers-crossed* I hope it's just a simple sprain/strain that will be better in a few days! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Stubborness is no excuse for stupidity...I'm heading to get an x-ray in about ten minutes. I thought I'd let it go and by taking the week off from running it would be okay, or at least better. Yesterday I did 20 minutes of light jogging on the treadmill and had to stop once the pain spread up my shin. Something just isn't right. I feel like the girl who was invited to a party and shows up and finds out it's a POOL party and she didn't bring a swim suit. So, she just sits on the side and watches everyone having fun. Angry

Michelle

I swear, if the doctor hadn't mentioned "fracture" I would have gone about my business, icing and wrapping and been fine. But since I had that little fear in my head of doing more damage, I found myself worrying too much. The dr's office called - X-ray showed nothing! Yay. Life can go on. I guess I'll have to take it easy but at least I know there isn't anything long term going on behind the scenes. My attention span is too short for a long term injury. Smile

Michelle