What running rituals do you have (or should that read obsessive compulsive traits) (Read 1594 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I have trouble not counting when running. I count one for every full breath in an out, to a hundred, then start over. Originally it was because I don't listen to headphones and it kept my mind off the pain and on pace, but now I find it hard to stop!
    I do that too - counting/controlling my breathing! I also have been concentrating on relaxed shoulders and hands (no clenching!). That was hard yesterday because I was sore before I started, took the first mile way too fast, etc...so found myself yelling internally to "RELAX!"

TRUST THE PROCESS

I have trouble not counting when running. I count one for every full breath in an out, to a hundred, then start over. Originally it was because I don't listen to headphones and it kept my mind off the pain and on pace, but now I find it hard to stop!
      I don't count, but I "sing" (in my head) the UCLA fight song. It is my pace regulator. One day while on a long run, I started doing that, and now I can't stop. Not that I need to. GO BRUINS. Clowning around Big grin One thing I avoid is running on winding paths. I will run out of my way or go longer distances to avoid certain paths in particular. 10 swipes of anti-perspirant for each armpit before a Saturday long run. Not 9, not 11.
      Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
      Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I do the singing in my head, sometimes, too. I might have a song get stuck in my head or I have a mantra that I repeat over and over.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Ugh. I count to. I don't want to. I don't know when it started, but somewhere in the middle of my run, I realize I have counted to 300 without even knowing it...I wouldn't call this a ritual because it's not something I need to do... I used to need gum. Chapstick and gum. Oh, also, if I didn't eat a Totinos cheese pizza before a long run a would have a "bad run." Last year I had a 5K PR eating grapes before my race---I flew (for me)! I have a feeling another ritual is going to be started...
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't count, but I "sing" (in my head) the UCLA fight song. It is my pace regulator. One day while on a long run, I started doing that, and now I can't stop. Not that I need to. GO BRUINS. Clowning around Big grin
            I do this one, too. Well, except for me it's "The Victors." Not during regular runs, mind you, but most often during interval workouts. The ideal tempo for the song is 176 bpm, which is close to my natural fast interval speed. I don't really sing it, but I "think" it and run in tempo with it. Left foot on the odd beats, right on the even, of course. Having been in the marching band, I find myself geeking out over variations of the song based on the length of the interval. I have found that the on-field version including the 12-count drumroll for the transition into the hollow block M formation is ideal for one-minute intervals. I use longer versions of the song, including the full as-written version with all repeats for longer intervals. Even so, this is only good for 2:00~2:30 or so, so I mentally include one street cadence and a roll-off to get me back into the song a second time for the rest of the interval. Staying in step the whole time, of course.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

10 swipes of anti-perspirant for each armpit before a Saturday long run. Not 9, not 11.
              To each his/her own, but I wouldn't waste deo on running BO. I'm gonna sweat and smell regardless. But 10 swipes? Wow. The deo people must love you. As for stepping on cracks, I try to hit 'em all. Lines, too. Damn mother is STILL alive Evil grin
                To each his/her own, but I wouldn't waste deo on running BO. I'm gonna sweat and smell regardless. But 10 swipes? Wow. The deo people must love you.
                DH pretty much says the same thing....but I take that with a grain of salt because he showers before he does a long run. Clowning around
                Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

I can see showering as a loosening-up tool. I've done it. Maybe I'll give the deo a shot Monday, as I'll be in public hours before running. One swipe each though.
                    One swipe each though.
                    Shocked Welll. Okay. But you've been warned. Clowning around
                    Dorsey

kcam

10 swipes of anti-perspirant for each armpit before a Saturday long run. Not 9, not 11.
                      Interesting .... I've always made sure I clean it off before I run. I thought it would be good to NOT inhibit perspiration?
                        I have to wear a visor and have my sunglasses on (or resting on top of the visor if it's not sunny). I kind of do the shoe-tying thing but occasionally I get them right the first time and don't have an excuse. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff