Dead-to-me button request (Read 448 times)

The community is capable of governing itself if it wants to. It is really not that hard to ignore the trolls on your own without an ignore button. On the one hand it sucks that sport jester is basically ruining like 60% of the threads right now, but on the other hand he could easily be marginalized if people would just stop engaging with him. It's not rocket science.

It seems unfair to request a feature to basically compensate for the fact that many of us have no self control in feeding the trolls.

And like Eric said if any one poster becomes so obnoxious and detrimental to the forums, we should just remove him or her rather than give individuals the ability to not see his/her posts.

The experience is more like moving among circles of friends ... but in ~60% of them, someone's holding a baby and letting it cry itself to sleep.  You can try to ignore it, you certainly can refrain from poking it, but you still have to put up with it.  And when the whole point of being around those friends is for your enjoyment/education, that shit gets old fast.

As a former moderator of a pretty active sports-related site, I've always been against bannination unless the member really, really deserved it (many seemed almost to take a "death by moderator" approach).  OTOH, the Ignore/Block feature allows each user to customize the forum experience; doesn't add hassle to the owner's day; and, much like installing "Dark" as a weather condition, needn't be used by anyone whose sensibilities it offends. Smile

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

The experience is more like moving among circles of friends ... 

Is it really? It's more like that than what I described?

I ask because what I described is actually in real life how I and a lot of other people manage to not get bothered by certain posters on RunningAhead dot com, whereas what you described is some kind of analogy in which 60% of people bring their babies to cocktail parties or something.

Runners run

Joann Y

Friends with crying babies need to step outside.

Is it really? It's more like that than what I described?

I ask because what I described is actually in real life how I and a lot of other people manage to not get bothered by certain posters on RunningAhead dot com, whereas what you described is some kind of analogy in which 60% of people bring their babies to cocktail parties or something.

Personally, I'm perfectly capable of stepping over the moose shit and continuing my run.  But for some people, yes, it is like I described.  It was hardly a majority percentage of my members who used the Block feature, but it was a non-trivial portion.  (I'm resisting throwing out an unsubstantiated claim of 20%.  Evil)  Considering the trivial effort to install the feature, the zero effort to maintain it, and the more hands-off we mods could then be about trolls, as well as the reduced amount of bickering, personal clashes, and cries for the ban hammer ... it seemed a simple choice.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Considering the trivial effort to install the feature, the zero effort to maintain it

Trivial and zero for you and me, absolutely.

Runners run

Well, the world does revolve around at least one of us.

-- Dick LeBeau

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

IMHO, I would suggest that voting and ranking posts is a bad idea. What makes this site lovely is that there are real discussions going on and people, generally, articulating themselves. The last thing we need (at least that I need) is one more place that people quickly judge and sway opinions based on the click of a button. We're not rats. I honestly don't know what to do about crackpots, other than ignore them. Step over that shit. I would really hate to see this site cluttered up with stars and thumbs.

+1.  (Where's the *Like* button?)

just stop engaging

+1,000,000

I can't understand why this is so difficult for people to grasp.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

To be serious for a second I don't think we need an up/down button or an ignore button, or really anything that causes more work for Eric Smile

The community is capable of governing itself if it wants to. It is really not that hard to ignore the trolls on your own without an ignore button. On the one hand it sucks that sport jester is basically ruining like 60% of the threads right now, but on the other hand he could easily be marginalized if people would just stop engaging with him. It's not rocket science.

It seems unfair to request a feature to basically compensate for the fact that many of us have no self control in feeding the trolls.

And like Eric said if any one poster becomes so obnoxious and detrimental to the forums, we should just remove him or her rather than give individuals the ability to not see his/her posts.

My 2 cents.

Yes this!

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

To be serious for a second I don't think we need an up/down button or an ignore button, or really anything that causes more work for Eric Smile

My 2 cents.

Perhaps we need a button to down-vote the troll-feeders...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

an amazing likeness

just stop engaging with him. It's not rocket science.

+1,000,001

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

No Talent Drips

Did I understand that mikey is calling Xtoph a tranny and that Clive's imaginary baby world is more real than the actual world?

Still playing for 2nd, I know.

Dei Gratia

xhristopher

Engaging him is like tossing another log on his fire. It flairs back up and only takes longer to fizzle out.

I don't want a "dark" checkbox because logging night runs as "sunny" always cheers me up.

Totally missed being called a tranny. Must have been the briefs.

If somebody is tired of seeing a users postings they should write their own browser plug-in that replaces that user's posts with a photo of a puppy, kitten, llama, or a flightless bird of some sort. I recommend a jackass penguin.

Sometimes I need a time out.

eric :)

I'm a moderator on a couple of non-running related web forums, and both of them have temporarily instituted the Thumb Up/Down facility, and both times it was abused by a few vindictive individuals with an axe to grind.  Long story short, the voting thing doesn't really work as it just incites retaliation.

The scheme I'm thinking of has some abuse deterrents.  I'm not sure how well it works in reality.

The simplest solution is self restraint.  If there is no audience, the trolls will go away.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

The simplest solution is self restraint.  If there is no audience, the trolls will go away.

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/