Too much running (Read 1586 times)

A Saucy Wench

Read this article from the WSJ today

“If you are running more than 15 miles a week, you are doing it for some reason other than health,” said Dr. (Kenneth) Cooper

15 might be a little low but I would guess for most of us...DUH is the proper response. 

I know for me for optimum weight/health I am better off capping the running at somewhere around 20-30 mpw.  Because then I still have the time and the energy to lift weights and stretch and do Xtraining that is beneficial for some of my permanent injuries.   And I can still eat like a normal person.

I've never made it through a marathon training cycle without gaining weight.  Once i get to a certain point portion control abandons me.

BUT if I dont have running goals I tend to do nothing.  Couch potato R us.  Hence my current state.

Yeah it might be a little OCD or "symptomatic of an addictive personality"  Yeah.  Most addicts dont change their personality, they simply change their addiction.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

DoppleBock

I think you are what you think you are 

Please! I struggle with not feeling like a real runner. If you're not one, well, I'm screwed.

My issue is that I have always felt clumsy running ... I wish I was smooth

I do not run because I love running - But because I love the aerobic rush - Which I could get form 1/2 dozen other sports

Yes I am a runner - But not a born natural runner, but a runner by choice.  I run because I find it the easiest way to get my aerobic fix. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Or they keep their addiction and just add other addictions to help counter-balance.  Like Montgomery Burns check up - "You  have every disease known to man ... but they are in perfect balance with each other"  So Mr Burns replys - "So I'm invincible!"

Not completely true - I gave up smoking, stay away from illegal drugs because I know myself and that would not go well.  I like to drink, but it does not effect anything in life except the quality of my training (Running).  I spend way too much time on RA.  I really have very little interest for TV, Video Games and gambling.  Control of food is the most difficult area for me.

I think part of my issue is I always need to be doing something - I cannot sit still.  If I am sitting still, then I will be eating or drinking.  Lately I have offset this problem with cleaning.  Last night I did a good job with eating and drinking (1 beer) - I did however spend 3 hours cleaning before I sat down in front of the TV for 20 minutes and drank a beer and had a snack bag of gardettos.

No - Out house is not spotless, just a little less piggy than before ...

Yeah it might be a little OCD or "symptomatic of an addictive personality"  Yeah.  Most addicts dont change their personality, they simply change their addiction.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Based on what I have learned here at RA, I propose that it's not excessive running that leads to mortality, but the wild, libidinous behavior of runners.

Read this article from the WSJ today

“If you are running more than 15 miles a week, you are doing it for some reason other than health,” said Dr. (Kenneth) Cooper

I don't know about 15 mpw--that seems kind of low--but the basic idea makes sense.There are certainly diminishing returns and at some point I'm sure the negatives outweigh the benefits if you were only running for health reasons.

Still, as a population I bet runners are more healthy and live longer than the general population.

Runners run

L Train

That was uplifting.

he suspects—without hard evidence—that extreme exercise can render a body more susceptible to cancer.

I suspect--without hard evidence--all kinds of stuff. Big whoop.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

That was uplifting.

he suspects—without hard evidence—that extreme exercise can render a body more susceptible to cancer.

of course then

I suspect that the house at the end of the street is a crack house. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Holy shit I think he got it!

bhearn

Some links I whip out in cases like this.

Is Running Bad for Your Knees? Maybe Not

More exercise better in long run, study finds

Start running and watch your brain grow, say scientists

Not that these address the heart issue, but it seems pretty clear that blanket statements like "If you are running more than 15 miles a week, you are doing it for some reason other than health" are just ridiculous.

Rustico62

What I want to know is if doctors who don't run live longer than people who exercise more than an hour a day?Being a doctor. would have killed me a long time ago, but thanks for your service...even though a lot of you do more harm than good.

Eating disorders come from self loathing, insecurity and the mastery of negative self talk.  Running will not create or cure any of that when it is at the extreme of bulimia or anorexia, though it is often a tool of both.

I think these comments for or against massive running or fast running at advanced age are good food for thought. I don't have to change what I am doing because of it. In this age of technology and medical understanding, It does seem like the doctors could have some data based real time evidence showing the actual deterioration of  a specific individual  runner's health. I mean I should be able to say is running hurting ME and they do test to prove if it is or isn't. Otherwise the proclamation are not professional.  Rather than just say "at the end, from a pool of surviving old runners, we found this that and the other that might prove our points" Maybe one of the articles did point to some proof  of the ability to determine linear deterioration, but I doubt it. Too many factors ignored.

As far as the woman who passes out goes, that doesn't even pass as good anecdotal evidence against running, and they should be journalistically ashamed for featuring her as evidence of anything. Garbage in garbage out....challenges credibility big time.

...., but it seems pretty clear that blanket statements like "If you are running more than 15 miles a week, you are doing it for some reason other than health" are just ridiculous.

I think he's pretty well respected nationally / internationally. 

I know he's pretty popular here in Dallas, as his main clinic is a mile or 2 from my office.

I'm not sure it's ridiculous.  I believe the key concept is that it's for a 'reason other than health'.  

(However, I do question his cancer comment that LTrain pointed out immediately following the quote above.)

I didn't even mention the 8:00 / pace maximum that Dr. O'Keefe and Dr. Lavie mentioned....  "...found no mortality benefit for those who ran faster than 8 miles per hour, while those who ran slower reaped significant mortality benefits."

I guess I'll be ok (for a while).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Nobody's talking about this?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23187329

#artbydmcbride

Based on what I have learned here at RA, I propose that it's not excessive running that leads to mortality, but the wild, libidinous behavior of runners.

yeah!  Smile

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Complete horse hockey.

From above link, courtesy RW:

"

(1) One of the major pieces of evidence the group cites is a study that was presented at a conference over the summer. The WSJ description:

In a study involving 52,600 people followed for three decades, the runners in the group had a 19% lower death rate than nonrunners, according to the Heart editorial. But among the running cohort, those who ran a lot—more than 20 to 25 miles a week—lost that mortality advantage.

But here, from the actual abstract, is the part they never mention:

Cox regression was used to quantify the association between running and mortality after adjusting for baseline age, sex, examination year, body mass index, current smoking, heavy alcohol drinking, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, parental CVD, and levels of other physical activities."

So basically, if you eliminate and ignore all of the known benefits of aerobic exercise related to BMI, hypertension, cholesterol, etc etc, you don't find any benefits.  Genius!  Perhaps this was written by the same guys who came up with mortgage derivative vehicles.

Just another case of crappy reporting and why you should not believe anything you read in the media without going back to the primary data.  I find it amusing that I had to go to Runners World to find a better analysis than WSJ.  Irony...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills