heart rate peaks - me or my monitor? (Read 765 times)

Two sources of error that I have encountered that cause quick/huge spikes: 2) I believe electric fences / home security/ wifi? causes problems too. There was a house I would run by and my HR would go from 150s to over 220 then falls again once I am past the area. Not sure but must be some sort of signal.
    I have to agree with the above. Mine spike when I run past electic fences or when somebody uses a remote to open an electronic gate. Mine has actually said 0 as I run past an opening gate and I was pretty sure my heart was still beating!
      I don't think 6 seconds is long enough to test, too small a sample. Try 15 seconds x4, or 30 seconds x2, though after 30 seconds of rest the bpm will be falling.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

When I first started running and trying to stay in a target HR zone, I noticed lots of spikes that would last a few seconds. I'd be running along merrily at a steady pace (on a TM in fact), but my HR would randomly take off for a few seconds before calming back down. I could be wrong, but I believe these were real. The longer I have been at it (just over a year now), the less frequent these have become. Although, I recently was more sporadic with my workouts due to having a newborn, and I've noticed that as my consistency has dropped off, the spikes have come back. I do some specific HR vs speed tests on a TM that bears this out. I'll be interested to see if the spikes begin to diminish again as my consistency increases again (the baby's sleeping through the night now). I expect it will, but my periodic testing should tell me if it is true or not.
        Brandon

rhetorician

thanks for all the advice and responses - went out nice and slow today and HRM was all over the place - showing steady 137 when I was going uphills, then 180+ on the flat - even though by my breathing I was running a consist easy pace. At that HR I should be gasping and puking, and I could have easily sung a solo. So I did my own manual check a few times and at no point was my HR over 140 (i.e. max 35 beats per 15 secs). So I think there's something wrong with the strap (probably failed to put in washing machine every 3 weeks as per the manual Blush). ON the positive side it means that my aerobic conditioning is much better than I thought, as I seem to be running about a 6:25 per k pace on about 130bpm. And the moral of the story is...read the instruction manual and do what it says... Thanks guys

2012 goals

lose 8lbs

run injury free

run 3000k

run sub 60 min 10k

run 2 hour half

2013 goals

run 1750 miles

run injury free

sub 55 10k

sub 25 5k

sub 2 hour half

rhetorician

cleaned up strap, running a steadyish 135-140, even over longer distances

2012 goals

lose 8lbs

run injury free

run 3000k

run sub 60 min 10k

run 2 hour half

2013 goals

run 1750 miles

run injury free

sub 55 10k

sub 25 5k

sub 2 hour half