The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I liked the story of the NBA player who left to attend a funeral and then was caught at a strip club...I believe he was one of the "Stars" and nothing major happened to him.

He claimed he was only in the strip club for their chicken wings  He had to quarantine for 10 days once he got back to the bubble.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

He claimed he was only in the strip club for their chicken wings  He had to quarantine for 10 days once he got back to the bubble.

Another thing I like about the bubble: if you get caught, not only are you forced to quarantine as a time out punishment, but you will incur the wrath of your teammates. It's a good system. Not sure how the NBA players will feel when next season starts up in the bubble too.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

OMR

Agreed, forgot to include the NHL. The only thing with them though is they don't disclose if someone has COVID, or just a sprained ankle, so it's harder to track exactly how well they're doing it. But all signs look good.

I agree the NFL may be much more tricky with the amount of people personnel wise. But just throwing up their hands and trying to run the season is not going to go well.

But this whole thing with sports is really not complicated in terms of how to make it work. You need to have some sort of bubble. These guys spend way too much time together in indoor settings where they won't be wearing masks. They're also young, famous, rich men (in the case of the 4 major leagues) who enjoy going out and taking advantage of that money and fame. Letting them continue to travel around the country in a non-bubble setting is going to lead to disastrous outcomes, as evidenced by the rumor that Crazy K pointed to.

There was a report out yesterday that after three weeks of NHL hockey, there have been zero positive COVID tests.

an amazing likeness

Don't drift on alone
          Through fields of conflict and despair
          Watch the pleasant pastures
          Come to life when you are there
          Sit long enough in peacefulness
          And you will see how great
          The world of nature compensates
          When summer is too late

(poem: phil soars)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Tramps

There was a report out yesterday that after three weeks of NHL hockey, there have been zero positive COVID tests.

Which I find pretty astonishing. But, so far, they've made it work. The League reports test results on Monday of each week. (There are a bunch of "life in the bubble" videos out there about the protocols in place within the hotels, how daily testing works, etc.)

FWIW, the League/Player Association agreement threatens that quarantine protocol violations open up the teams to "significant penalties, including fines and/or loss of picks in the NHL Draft."

The NHL plans to allow family visits for the four teams that reach the conference finals, which will come with their own protocols (self-isolation for a week before, three negative tests, etc.) That'll be interesting.

Be safe. Be kind.

It doesn't hurt that the NHL bubble cities are both in Canada, whose cases per million people is less than 20% of that of the US. They've got both a hard bubble AND a competent public health response.

Runners run

Tramps

It doesn't hurt that the NHL bubble cities are both in Canada

Absolutely. The original plan was to have one of the bubbles in a US city, probably Las Vegas because of the many empty hotels. The flood of cases there led to dropping that idea. It's hard to imagine it would have turned out well regardless.

Be safe. Be kind.

Don't drift on alone
                  Through fields of conflict and despair
                  Watch the pleasant pastures
                  Come to life when you are there
                  Sit long enough in peacefulness
                  And you will see how great
                  The world of nature compensates
                  When summer is too late

(poem: phil soars)

Thanks for this! So wonderful.

Kalsarikännit

Really great news for people that miss traveling because of the ‘rona.  Airlines are offering the full flight experience, minus the seeing somewhere new.  You can pay to once again enjoy airport security, $12 beers, and being jammed on a plane...while not leaving the ground.

https://www.secretflying.com/posts/airlines-launch-flights-to-nowhere-for-people-itching-to-fly/

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Really great news for people that miss traveling because of the ‘rona.  Airlines are offering the full flight experience, minus the seeing somewhere new.

Yeah, okay.  But how many miles do I get?  And is it considered a qualified leg?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Kalsarikännit

Yeah, okay.  But how many miles do I get?  And is it considered a qualified leg?

No, stadjak.  You STILL can’t call her a “stewardess”.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

No, stadjak.  You STILL can’t call her a “stewardess”.

If the plane isn't going anywhere, do I call her "waitress"?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

If the plane isn't going anywhere, do I call her "waitress"?

I'm thinking Flight Simulator

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm thinking Flight Simulator

Microsoft Flight Simulator, or is that offensive to Apple people and those who don’t like Bill Gates?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Well, the Red Cross just came back and told me that my blood donation from a couple of days ago tested positive for Covid antibodies.  Had what could have been symptoms back in March, but nothing since then.  Will follow up with my health care provider tomorrow.