How deep into your marathon training cycle do you run at marathon pace? (Read 163 times)

LRB

Supp!

Daniels' Marathon Training Plan A has a workout three weeks out from the big dance, which calls for 15 miles at marathon pace, sandwiched between 2 easy miles for 19 miles total.

What is the closest to the event you run long at marathon pace?  And/or if your plan calls for something longer than you would normally run, would you cut it short?

Peace

Pfitz has a "dress rehearsal" run the week of the marathon, which is 7 miles with 2 at MP.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

npaden

The Hansons plan has a 13 miler with 10 at marathon pace 9 days before the race.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Julia1971

I'm doing a Pfitz plan that has me doing a 20 miler w/14 MP miles about 5 weeks out from my goal race.  And, I'd be okay cutting it short - I've stopped MP runs before when I wasn't hitting the pace.  Usually because it was too hot out.  Edited to add: I think he also has 1 or 2 tune-up races between that last MP workout and the goal race.

But, I guess I'm wondering what you're really trying to get at.  Are you already feeling like that's too much MP mileage too close to race day?  Have your previous MP runs not gone well?

ultramarathon/triathlete

I think I run all of my runs at or above Marathon pace.  My long runs up to 20ish miles are at or above marathon pace.  My daily short runs are certainly above marathon pace.  I've run a lot of marathons though.  I don't really like the long slow distance.  I think I'm too impatient.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

LRB

But, I guess I'm wondering what you're really trying to get at.

I was just curious how other runners/plans include MP runs late in their cycles, and what if any changes someone has made or may make to a particular plan.

I have tweaked other workouts to my liking, but have not decided on making any tweaks to this particular one, yet.

Docket_Rocket

I have an 18 miler with the last 10 @ MP 4 weeks out of the race. That is not the toughest workout in my plan but that is the longest MP workout I have.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I suppose if you make it that far in the Daniels' plan and are still healthy, you'll be fine with that workout.  Personally, i think the Daniels' Plan A is too tough for mere mortals.

Mr MattM

The only MP run I believe happens on race day.  Prior to that, I log exactly 0 miles at race pace.

be curious; not judgmental

Julia1971

Gotcha. Pfitz's are far enough back that it hasn't been an issue for me.

If you recover well from MP runs, I'm not sure it would be a bad thing to do that workout. I would prefer to race. I feel like that's going to be more beneficial at that point. It'll give me a better sense of what my MP actually should be rather than what I've been hoping it would be all these weeks. But, I'm not an expert on these things.  Maybe there is a super training benefit to doing one that long so late.

I was just curious how other runners/plans include MP runs late in their cycles, and what if any changes someone has made or may make to a particular plan.

I have tweaked other workouts to my liking, but have not decided on making any tweaks to this particular one, yet.

meaghansketch

I won't speak for myself, but the Hansons schedule their runners' big MP run (26K, 16.2 miles, so pretty similar to the Daniels workout) 5 weeks out from marathon day.  I was searching for more information about this and came across a passage from "The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition", which I haven't read, that mentioned this but recommended that non-elite runners can do their last big MP run 2-4 weeks from race day, assuming they aren't running elite-level miles and so might need a little less of a taper.

Don't know if this link works:

New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition excerpt

Charles G

Used to do an all out half- 4-6 weeks before. Then my marathon pace was about 30 seconds per mile slower. Since I raced 20 times a year, mostly 10Ks and did numerous 20 miles runs, marathon pace runs weren't that important.