dizzy after laps? (Read 3118 times)

325th place or bust!

Any of you ever get dizzy after swimming laps?

I took a class in swimming earlier this year and never had any problem, but we had a 10-meter long lane.  Last week and this week I did my first laps in a regular pool using 25-meter lengths (widthwise across the pool).  (It's also possible it is 25-yards across but for this topic it doesn't matter.)

Last week I swam 8 laps for 200 meters total, with a rest between laps.  After I got out and went to the locker room I was dizzy for a half minute.  This week I swamp 10 laps and it was worse.  I got out and dried off a bit before going to the locker room and had to sit on the bleachers for a minute until it went away.  In both cases I didn't feel it until I was out of the pool.

I swam these laps freestyle, breathing every third stroke so I was alternating from side to side and that makes me wonder if my having to move my head from side to side like that for breathing could have caused it?  But in that case I'm surprised it didn't bother me until I was out of the pool.  It took me about 12-15 minutes total to swim the 250 meters today.

Thoughts?

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

Sandi Sue

You could be lifting your head too much out of the water when breathing.  Are you moving your body side to side rather than just lifting your head out of the water?  The key to freestyle is moving your body to a good side balance position for each stroke.  Try some side balance drills prior to swimming laps.  It's good practice.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

Try swimming a few laps breathing every 2 strokes.  Maybe you're not getting enough O2?  I used to have the same thing happen, although I'd get dizzy if I would breath every 4 or 5 instead of 2 or 3.

325th place or bust!

You could be lifting your head too much out of the water when breathing.  Are you moving your body side to side rather than just lifting your head out of the water?  The key to freestyle is moving your body to a good side balance position for each stroke.  Try some side balance drills prior to swimming laps.  It's good practice.

Well, how high is too high?  Smile  I know that sounds funny but I don't really know how high is enough.  I lift my head enough so I can get air and not water.  I tend to get a tiny bit of water anyway sometimes...  I'll see what I can do to check my balance, thanks.

325th place or bust!

Try swimming a few laps breathing every 2 strokes.  Maybe you're not getting enough O2?  I used to have the same thing happen, although I'd get dizzy if I would breath every 4 or 5 instead of 2 or 3.

I might try that to breathe on the same side each lap (and alternating sides).  I don't think it's lack of O2 as I was in the pool relaxing for half a minute after the last lap and felt good then.

325th place or bust!

p.s. and I've also never felt that way even after my hardest 5K run effort that left me gasping at the end...  That's why I think it has something to do with the breathing turning the head side to side.

Beware, batbear...

Relax.  That's the key to good swimming no matter what stroke, length (of pool), or distance.  

If you need to, instead of resting between laps, kick with a kick board.  Sounds like you've got a little vertigo from being in the water.  Good work on swimming though!  It's a great way to exercise with minimal impact on off days.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

p.s. and I've also never felt that way even after my hardest 5K run effort that left me gasping at the end...  That's why I think it has something to do with the breathing turning the head side to side.

Are you at all prone to inner ear infections?  I have had issues with vertigo ever since my first inner ear infection maybe a decade ago.  I used to be able to do somersaults underwater and go on rollercoasters that go upside-down, but no more.  Now if I do those things I get bad spins...like bed spins after drinking too much, but without the fun of alcohol.

I would think water in your ears could make matters worse.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Beware, batbear...

I would think water in your ears could make matters worse.

That's why I'm suggesting the kick board.  Be sure to kick with your head up.  You'll stay steady on your tummy and be able to release a little bit of water from the ears.  

I swim quite a bit, and sometimes I even feel like I've had my face/head in the water too long.  When I do, I get a little bit nauseous and have to kick for a while before I can return to swimming.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Tony Evans

If this is after you get out of the pool rather than during the swim then it could be the blood rushing back into your legs.  If you have a lazy kick then when you finish the set and climb out of the water the blood rushes back into your legs and you go light headed.  In triathlons the reccomendation for exiting the swim and getting vertical on dry land is to kick very hard during the last 50-100m.  This helps the blood to circulate back into the legs and can reduce the effect.

If this is hard swim session (for you) then make sure you do a gentle swim at the end of the set and don't jump straight out of the pool take a minute. 

Tony.

Slo

There are several reasons.

It could be anything from a slight bout of motion sickness to what Tony said about the blood flow. Actually, any one of these post could be it. If it's related to ears.....then ear plugs may work.

As a regular swimmer there are two things that cause a dizzy spell for me. Cold Water and I have one set of goggles that I wear in open water. These goggles distort my view. Kinda like looking thru a clear glass of water and will make me dizzy for the 1st 50 to 75 yards until I get used to 'em.

My guess is chalk it up to inexperience. More time swimming, less time dizzy.

Best Of Luck......and check out the swimming forum too.

325th place or bust!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll see how it goes this week.

I don't get any water in my ears so I don't think that's the problem.  I'll try to take a gentle swim cooldown after the laps and see how that goes.

325th place or bust!

Just a little update: I felt better with yesterday's swim.  During the swim I took it a little easier with the arm work as I think I was probably working too hard on the swim (especially with the arms).  Then at the end, relaxed a couple of minutes vertically before getting out.  Got my towel and walked in to the locker room for a shower and felt much better.  Had just the slightest touch of being out of balance for a minute.  That was so much better!

Also, really loving the cool water swim on a hot summer day.  Not sure I'm going to like it as much when the weather and water turn colder.  Smile