Snowshoeing vs. XC Skiing (Read 1016 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Which do you prefer? I have a 20 year old pair of XC skis in excellent condition, but in need of new boots (had them since I was 13 and my feet have changed a lot since then) and bindings (existing ones are those old 3-peg and I want Salomen-style). I know I already enjoy XC skiing, but I'd have to drive a little ways to use them on any groomed trails that aren't overrun with snowmobiles...so I'm kind of thinking I might be better off spending the money on snowshoes, instead...but I've never snowshoed, so I'm not sure I would prefer it. Other than the actual snowshoes do I need any specific gear? Special boots? I have a good pair of winter hiking boots--would those work? Of course, the one advantage of using groomed skiing trails is that I would probably be safer than tromping in the woods alone, right? And one place near us even has lit trails for use after dark, which would make the best use of our short Winter daylight hours. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Well K..being from the great white north, snowsheing is a way of life up here and the only thing you need is a good warm pair of winter boots and some good layered clothing. Metal is the best with a brake system for going up and down hills. Don't go to cheap as they will last many years and you want qaulity and lightness but good strength, check out mountain equipment co-op or REI for a good selection and you might be able to pick up some of last years models. It is a great workout and is a nice way to spend a day in the bush breaking trail.Hope you get a chance to experience it and don't give up on the xcountry either go get some new boots...Mike Big grin
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Aww...man, does this mean I need to buy gear for 2 more sports?! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

WongerChi

XC skiing everytime. I've snowshoed before but it's just like going for a walk in the country really... Although the die-hard snowshoers are going to kill me for this... XC-skiing for me is like running except it's in winter (I'm in Montreal so it's pretty cold up here) and it's low impact (good for when I've bitten off more than I can chew). As mentioned earlier, get yourself to MEC or REI (if you're in the US) and have a nose around at the kit. Keep doing both if you can afford it!
            Hi Kristen, I agree with WongerChi. XC skiing is awesome! Maybe it has something to do with us Montrealers. I like snowshoing as well, have a pair of snowshoes, but I'll opt for XC skiing almost anytime. I can't wait for the snow!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yay! And I already have good equipment, just need new boots and bindings. Perhaps I will ask for that for Christmas (in addition to Apple store gift cards to put towards an iPod, LOL). Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay