A Violation of Bullying and Corporal Punishment Policies? (Read 714 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Had to share:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/iowa-coach-accused-corporal-punishment-forcing-player-run-154701889.html

I would have never considered this bullying but I guess I am old school? 

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know that I like running being used as punishment (it's a negative association that has "scared-off" a lot of folks who might otherwise come to love running, rather than view it as something used pejoratively), per se, but I definitely wouldn't consider it corporal punishment.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

It certainly could be. It's easy to wax nostalgic about times when coaches could do this or that, and hard to watch a coach put a pansy asthmatic in the hospital after nearly killing him wind sprints. I don't know what happened in this case, but I have witnessed the second scenario.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Slo

I don't know that I like running being used as punishment (it's a negative association that has "scared-off" a lot of folks who might otherwise come to love running, rather than view it as something used pejoratively), per se, but I definitely wouldn't consider it corporal punishment.

If you stopped that then all the shirts that say "My Sport is Your Sports Punishment" are useless.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you stopped that then all the shirts that say "My Sport is Your Sports Punishment" are useless.

Ha, that shirt does crack me up, truth be told! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It certainly could be. It's easy to wax nostalgic about times when coaches could do this or that, and hard to watch a coach put a pansy asthmatic in the hospital after nearly killing him wind sprints. I don't know what happened in this case, but I have witnessed the second scenario.

We had an area football program get into trouble when they landed a couple of kids in the hospital with heatstroke during late Summer practices without adequate water or appropriate training plan for conditions.  And then there are the wrestling programs that have their kids purposefully sweat and dehydrate to weigh into the smallest class possible for competition.  I definitely take issue with the emphasis attached to a lot of HS sports (heck, we have a district near us that eliminated the D GPA requirement to play sports...now a kid could be flat-out failing and still play.  In the district we live in sports > academics, which is why we make use of MI's "school of choice" and transport our kid to/from school in a district near my DH's work).

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

Some people will take offense I'm sure but with all the attention on bullying laetly I just want to scream...

Grow some skin you wussies.

I'm not in the play grounds...I don't know if bullying has really gotten worse...I know teens can be down right mean and can lack a great deal of good judgement but 0 tolerance isn't the answer either.

It's a tough frickin world out there and if you can't handle a little ribbing here and there then I'm sorry.

We get young adults here at work today and they break as soon as someone jumps down their throat...and this is in a professional enviroment. Out on the plant floor...you better be able to take it and dish it or this is could be a miserable place to work.

In some ways it's a right of passage. With a last name like mine I certainly took my share. I survived multiple hazings and turned around and gave them.

About 15 mins has gone buy since I started this so it'll be interesting to see what if anything got in before I finished this. MTA - No one snuck a post in.

Lets not raise a generation of wussies.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Of course a story doesn't paint the full (let alone accurate) picture, but my original wonder was whether this fell under the idea of bullying. While I am not in favor, per se, of running being the punishment - although the shirts that say so rock - I have to wonder what is appropriate discipline? What actually works? If done appropriately, this simply didn't strike me as some sort of horrendous thing.

TRUST THE PROCESS

MoBramExam

Being forced to spend ten minutes in the same room as Mike Dick, Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union Executive Director sure sounds like a form of "corporal punishment".

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

"Good common sense would indicate we're past using conditioning and running in a punitive manner," Mike Dick, Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union executive director told the Register. To use conditioning as punishment is "almost vindictive in nature."

Have to agree with Kerry . . . so, what does work?

A friend of mine ran his first marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon.  His legs (or will) completely failed him about 200m from the end.  He sat down and just didn't have it in him to get up and complete.  He's a pretty tough guy.  Well, this USMC sergeant runs over to him and start shouting at him to get off his butt; you can make it; dig down deep.  Well, somewhere in the reptilian part of his brain he heard the voice of his HS coach in that USMC's shout-fest.  He picked his ass up and hobbled over the line.  Credits USMC-cheer-a-lot, otherwise it would have been a half hour before he'd get off the road.

Shouting.  Wind-sprints.  Pushups.  Laps.  

There used to be a time, as late as the 70s, where a cadre of middle-aged men spent their days and evenings chiseling out the character of unrelated young men through after-school sports.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

Some people will take offense I'm sure but with all the attention on bullying laetly I just want to scream...

Grow some skin you wussies.

It's a tough frickin world out there and if you can't handle a little ribbing here and there then I'm sorry.

Out on the plant floor...you better be able to take it and dish it or this is could be a miserable place to work.

In some ways it's a right of passage. With a last name like mine I certainly took my share. I survived multiple hazings and turned around and gave them.

Lets not raise a generation of wussies.

+1.  All except the "I'm sorry" part.  I'm not sorry.  Smile

I am in the business of raising my kids to face the real world, not put them in a cocoon until they are 18 (or even 22) and expect them to magically deal with it.  Better they start to learn to deal with it now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hawt and sexy

Wow. It seems someone must look up the definitions of punishment and bullying. It seems we are getting dumber if the difference is not seen in everyday practice. if this is not fixed, parents are going to get nailed for bullying when they put kiddos in time out. Shit, if you don't like it may just be punishment. It's not like the kid was thrown against a wall or given a swirly. Jeebus.

I'm touching your pants.

DoppleBock

Ours was not very hard - You had to be getting at least a C- in 4 classes ... I guess unless all you took was 4 classes, then it could bite you.

I definitely take issue with the emphasis attached to a lot of HS sports (heck, we have a district near us that eliminated the D GPA requirement to play sports...now a kid could be flat-out failing and still play.

I was punished a few times with "Start running and we will tell you when to stop" in tennis - The one time I let some guys ride on the hood of my car to the court - I was doing a whopping 10 MPH, but I get it, I would punish someone today for the same thing.  Most of my friends were CC runners, so I just ran with them for an hour ... I thought about going out for CC - But I was much better at tennis.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I think making them stand naked in the locker room as you paddle their ass in front of their peers - That might work ... Oh, what were we taking about. 

"Good common sense would indicate we're past using conditioning and running in a punitive manner," Mike Dick, Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union executive director told the Register. To use conditioning as punishment is "almost vindictive in nature."

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Slo

A friend of mine ran his first marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon.  His legs (or will) completely failed him about 200m from the end.  He sat down and just didn't have it in him to get up and complete.  He's a pretty tough guy.  Well, this USMC sergeant runs over to him and start shouting at him to get off his butt; you can make it; dig down deep.  Well, somewhere in the reptilian part of his brain he heard the voice of his HS coach in that USMC's shout-fest.  He picked his ass up and hobbled over the line.  Credits USMC-cheer-a-lot, otherwise it would have been a half hour before he'd get off the road.

Shouting.  Wind-sprints.  Pushups.  Laps.  

There used to be a time, as late as the 70s, where a cadre of middle-aged men spent their days and evenings chiseling out the character of unrelated young men through after-school sports.

There's bullying and then there's motivation. And motivation comes in different forms...Like those winds sprints sucked. Let's not get caught doing that again.

I have a friend where pissing him off seems to be the best motivating factor. Getting the Drill Sergeant out of my face was always a motivating factor too.

Dad's belt was always good motivation. It only took once.

I can't tell you how many sucide drills we ran on the basketball court. If you ran the play wrong you were lining up on the line. I know what those drills were worth today. Now I punish myself.