Newbie needs bursitis advice (Read 459 times)

ipumpkin

Hey guys! I started running about 4 weeks ago and all has been great. I have been bitten by the bug! Well, yesterday after my 2 mile run (23:41 I'm very proud!) my knee started to ache and it was soooooooo stiff last nite, I was really limping around. I went to the Dr this AM. Normally, I am not dramatic and I would have waited a few days, but I was so disappointed that I might have to take a break, I wanted to know what was wrong. I was happy to hear that it is ONLY bursitis. It's in two spots on my knee. I also have Osgood Schlatter's, which I already knew about and I thought that was causing my pain, but she said the two are probably not related. So, I'm wondering if any of you have any experience to share with me about bursitis. Dr said to cut back by about 25% or so and to get a knee brace if it doesn't seem to get better quickly. She didn't seem very committed to the knee brace thing. I was wondering if I should get one anyway. DO they help a lot or is it mostly psychological. Wink Any other tricks I should know about to speed the healling? I'm just so relieved that I am not going to have to stop altogether for awhile. It would SUCK to have to start all over again. I feel like I've made such huge progress! TIA for any advice or comments.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I doubt the diagnosis very seriously AND the last thing you want to do for bursitis is use a knee brace. Get a second opinion. From a sports doc or an orthopedist.

SMART Approach

I am with Trent. Sounds like an injury. Bursitis doesn't usually pop up within 1 hour unless your bursa bursts. You should see someone else to rule out injury of cartilage/ligament or perhaps stress reaction or arthritic flare up.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com