New "comfy" pace!! (Read 1153 times)

For today's run I forced myself to keep at an 8 minute mile pace and it was hard work. If I were running with someone I wouldn't have been able to chat during this run. Usually I'm able to chat. So I now know that I have lots of work ahead to get to the next level...and I need to spend lots more time at the level I'm at now (my comfy level). I did 5 miles at the 8 minute mile pace and then 1 mile at a 10 minute mile pace to cool down.

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

For today's run I forced myself to keep at an 8 minute mile pace and it was hard work. If I were running with someone I wouldn't have been able to chat during this run. Usually I'm able to chat. So I now know that I have lots of work ahead to get to the next level...and I need to spend lots more time at the level I'm at now (my comfy level). I did 5 miles at the 8 minute mile pace and then 1 mile at a 10 minute mile pace to cool down.
      I saw that you did a run recently of 3 mi at 7:20 pace. I think you might want to try some tempo runs where you go: •a mile or two at 10 minute pace to warm up, •then go 10~20 minutes at say 7:00 pace (ballpark. start with 10 build up to 20, but go with what feels right) •a mile or two at 10min pace to cool down. The key to faster running is running faster. By that, I mean that by throwing in some workouts (say twice a week) that take you well out of your comfort zone for progressively longer periods of time, you'll increase your aerobic capacity. Your comfy pace will automatically get faster. A couple of miles at 7:00 pace will boost you more aerobically more than 5 miles at 8:00 pace. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

My 3 miles were done as a speed workout so I was pushing super hard to keep up that pace. I was hoping to run 8 minute miles at more of a casual pace, but I'm not quite there yet. I lack with patience at times. Last year in Oct or Nov I was up to 22 minutes at the 7 mile pace (treadmill), it was difficult but I was happy about it. Since then have not been able to get there. I lost my focus for a while.

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My 3 miles were done as a speed workout so I was pushing super hard to keep up that pace. I was hoping to run 8 minute miles at more of a casual pace, but I'm not quite there yet. I lack with patience at times.
          Nice pace for 3 miles. I guess what I'm suggesting as a workout is to try run a shorter distance, but at a faster pace (i.e. if you can run 3 mi @ 7:20, you can run 1~2 miles at a faster pace). Pushing yourself closer to that red-line for short periods of time will eventually make that 8 minute pace feel casual. Good Luck! Jeff Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Nice pace for 3 miles. I guess what I'm suggesting as a workout is to try run a shorter distance, but at a faster pace (i.e. if you can run 3 mi @ 7:20, you can run 1~2 miles at a faster pace). Pushing yourself closer to that red-line for short periods of time will eventually make that 8 minute pace feel casual. Good Luck! Jeff Smile
            Maybe I entered that wrong on my run entry. I ran two different paces on and off (interval style, but I call it speed workouts...not sure of the difference still, shhhh). I ran 2 minutes at the 7 min pace and then 1 minute at the 8 min pace for 22 minutes. Math is not a strong point of mine. Maybe I added wrong. I certainly didn't run the straight 22 minutes at 7 min pace yesterday, although I felt like I did. Okay let me think out loud here for a second (that helps sometimes)... 7 stretches of the 7 min pace = 14 minutes, which = 2 miles. OKay, got that....then 8 stretches of running at the 8 min pace= 8 minutes, which= 1 mile. Which equals 3 miles. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Michelle

I understand what you are saying...(I think)...instead of doing my usual speed workout of the 2/1 minute thing I should try running 1 or 2 miles at the faster pace and then alternate with the slower pace. Is that right?

Michelle

Smile Seriously, thank you for helping me Jeff, I'm still pretty much just testing the waters with how to "train"...up until pretty recently I've just been running...not training. Now I have a lot to learn.

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I understand what you are saying...(I think)...instead of doing my usual speed workout of the 2/1 minute thing I should try running 1 or 2 miles at the faster pace and then alternate with the slower pace. Is that right?
                  Yeah (I think). Run real easy for a mile, 1~2mi at the faster 7:00 pace, and then easy for a mile. This is what I would call a short tempo run. I understand a little bit better what you did with that 2/1 @ 7/8 thing. It was sort of a tempo/interval. Got it. That leads me to believe you're ready for some faster intervals. Try this (similar to what you did, but run the fast faster and the slow slower) Easy 1~2 mi warm-up 2 minutes @ 6:30 (our whatever you think you can tolerate) 2 minutes @ 10~11:00 to recover Do the above 4~6 times. Easy 1~2mi cool down Be careful when introducing fast intervals into your training. We don't want you to get hurt. Cheers, Jeff

Hi Michelle Big grin Here's my 2 cents. Having viewed you log and posts... 1] Doing a speed and tempo per week is just what you need to meet your 5k goal. Most never do them back 2 back though[injury concerns and getting the best speed,rested]. Do easy day after both. I do speed[repeats or intervals] on Tues.,tempo on Sat. 2] Like Jeff said do some warm-up miles 1st. To maximize your speed, I feel it's best to start with 'Repeats'[running 1/4's or 1/2's, etc. at or below you current race pace] with full rest between[walking till heart & breathing slows] Instead of time[hassel looking at watch] use the mapping to plot a flat 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile from your house. I'll warm-up then do 1/2 mile out[say at 3:00] then I'll walk around 3:00 and push lap on watch and take off back to the house. I've been trying about [4]1/2 miles at the most. Lately [2] 1/2's and [4] 1/4 miles. I've read to not exceed 1/2 your race distance[5k=1-1/2miles] in doing your repeats/intervals. But I've been doing about 2 miles[total distance for the repeats/intervals]. 3] Tempo runs - after warm-up miles[1-2] try holding 10-20 seconds above your most recent race pace for 20 minutes, then cooldown a mile or 2. All in all, this is working wonders for me! Just sayin' ,over the past few months my comfy pace has slowed from 9:00mpm to 7:50mpm and my race pace from 7:13 to 6:36!!!! By the way, try adding Hills in the middle of the week/every other week or every 3 weeks for somethin' new. They build strength, strength=speed. Good Luck, Stay Healthy, Ricky

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Scout7

I'd be cautious with the real speed work. Tempo runs are fine, strides are fine. But anything more than that at this point, I think you're asking for injury. What you described sounds something akin to what might be called "cruise intervals"; kind of a cross between a tempo and fartlek.
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I agree, proceed w/ caution. A lot of it has to do with what your goal is, Mississippi. Are you just trying to make your comfy pace a little faster? Or do you have specific racing goals in mind? If the answer is the former, than I probably wouldn't change much other than to do shorter tempo runs at a slightly faster pace. If the answer is the latter, then you'll see the most improvement by running intervals at or faster than your goal race pace. Above all, listen to your body. And always have at least one day of rest and/or real easy running between hard efforts. Cheers, Jeff

sheil2009

21:00

Nice pace. My comfy pace is a solid and unchanging 10 min/mile
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice pace. My comfy pace is a solid and unchanging 10 min/mile
                            Speed demon. My "comfy" pace almost always falls right around 11 min/mile, at least when I'm not injured or having an off run. I've been stuck at this pace for quite some time, now. My "fast" pace is more like 9:50-10 min. mile...probably faster for a shorter race distance, but I haven't done anything shorter than a 15k this year. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

sheil2009

21:00

Speed demon. My "comfy" pace almost always falls right around 11 min/mile, at least when I'm not injured or having an off run. I've been stuck at this pace for quite some time, now. My "fast" pace is more like 9:50-10 min. mile...probably faster for a shorter race distance, but I haven't done anything shorter than a 15k this year. k
                              Yeah, I am def. a shorter distance runner which helps speed up that comfy pace. I doubt I could hold anything faster than that for over 5-6 miles, though; what you have got is endurance, god knows I dont want to run any race over 5 miles Smile
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I am def. a shorter distance runner which helps speed up that comfy pace. I doubt I could hold anything faster than that for over 5-6 miles, though; what you have got is endurance, god knows I dont want to run any race over 5 miles Smile
                                Heh...in HS I was a sprinter (100 and 200). NOW (at age 34) I have endurance, but at heart I'm still a sprinter. I wish there were track meets for grown-ups. I think now I'd love to try my hand (heh, feet) at the 400 or maybe even 800. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay