Cramps and Weight Gain and Tight Jeans, oh my! (Read 547 times)

I'm about 5 weeks into Half Marathon training. Doing about 20 - 25 miles a week. Integrating some yoga in there to help elongate muscles and get my stretch on. Before i started training, i was doing only 10 miles a week, at most, and other cardio maintenance workouts. Im befuddled. I've gained almost 7 pounds!!! What gives? My butt and thighs are bigger, so I assume there is some muscle gain there, but my upper body seems the same, if not a little slimmer. I was looking forward to losing some weight. I'm pretty sure I haven't been eating more, I'm already a really healthy eater. Should I start counting calories?What can I do to help myself? Having my jeans fit is not a great feeling. Also I'm getting what feels like painful cramps in my thighs right below my butt. I always have to "off" days scheduled. Any thoughts?
      You may want to look at your calorie intake at least for a little while to double check. I think many people are surprised that it is easier than they think to either not lose weight or gain weight while running. MTA: And likely - the weight gain is due to trading fat for muscle. It take a VERY conscious effort for me to lose weight and build my mileage at the same time. I hear that it gets easier over time - but I'm not there yet.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?