Once Upon a Time, I Got Frostbite On My Butt This Morning (Read 261 times)

Latent Runner

Thanks for the confirmation.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    SillyC

Ah, tis the season to start worrying about our skin....

Regarding frostnip on the butt.... here's what I've found that helps.

For a long run, I lather up with aquaphor before.  I buy the Techwick panties at EMS for under my tights - these have been a great help for me.  And fleecy lined tights.

It also helps, long term,  for me to have the skin in the best condition possible BEFORE running.  Which means moisturizing my bootie before going to bed.  I also take care of my cankles because those get frostnip too.

My biggest problem area is my muffintop.  I have extra skin around my midsection because I had babies.  So that whole roll of skin gets nearly no blood flow.  I got a great tip from some runners in Canada - tucking my base layer into my undershorts.  That helps a lot, but by march, my muffintop is a disaster.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Heh, I love that the mild form of frostbite is called "frostnip!"  Is there a more severe form called "frostchomp?"

SillyC...even though I haven't had babies, I hear ya on the muffintop.  Other than my fingers, that's the part of me that tends to get cold, no matter what (though I don't mind it as much as my fingers).  Thanks for the info on the "Canadian method."

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Is there a more severe form called "frostchomp?"

Once that happens to boys, a dick amputation is required. :-)

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Frostbite on your butt is never going to happen.  I go jogging in shorts in below zero weather and have no problems with it.  My ears, face, and fingers are frostbite's first target.  Dead

It also helps, long term,  for me to have the skin in the best condition possible BEFORE running.  Which means moisturizing my bootie before going to bed.  I also take care of my cankles because those get frostnip too.

My biggest problem area is my muffintop.  I have extra skin around my midsection because I had babies.  So that whole roll of skin gets nearly no blood flow.  I got a great tip from some runners in Canada - tucking my base layer into my undershorts.  That helps a lot, but by march, my muffintop is a disaster.

LOL My new moisturizing checklist:

* bootie

* cankles

* muffintop

~Kate

Life is short.  Running makes it seem longer.