15K Race Pacing (Read 83 times)

Local 15K coming up in two weekends. I'm currently in training for an April 14 marathon, this would be a tune-up race (following an 18 miler with 14 at Goal MP the weekend prior). Dramatically varying terrain, dropping 350' in the first 3 miles and gaining 300' back in miles 4-6. So even mile splits are tough in this race.

Most "recent" races (not super recent) - 5k (Jun '12)- 18:40 and  HM (Nov '11) - 1:32:11 (I don't race frequently)

I'm eyeing around a 7:00 min pace, but am wondering if some experienced folks might lend some thoughts on what to expect as I'm in Marathon training at the moment. Should I expect a better showing on account of the marathon training or adjust my expectations to a slower time on account of my current training?

No more marathons

What is you marathon goal?  And what will be your MGP effort the week before.  Based strickly on the two races you site, a 7:00 paced 15K should be easily obtainable, even in the midst of marathon training.  But need to factor in what your current state of fitness is.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Should I expect a better showing on account of the marathon training 

Yes

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

What is you marathon goal?  And what will be your MGP effort the week before.  Based strickly on the two races you site, a 7:00 paced 15K should be easily obtainable, even in the midst of marathon training.  But need to factor in what your current state of fitness is.

In my goal marathon, I'm aiming for a 7:30 pace. The 14 at MP (one week before the 15K race) will be run at/around this pace. For a more recent indicator I ran 15 miles with 12 at a 7:11 pace on 2/16.

I ran my scheduled long run of 18 with 14 at GMP this past Saturday. For the bulk of the GMP miles I was right where I wanted to be, 7:25. Felt a bit sore yesterday, but nothing major. That said I am planning on racing the 15K this weekend, still thinking around 7 minute pace. Will run easy throughout this week in preparation for a good race effort.

Anxiously looking forward to April's marathon and hoping to have a better gauge on my fitness after this weekend's 15K.