Where do you run in Austin, TX. (Read 837 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Im in Texas for a friend's wedding and there are a lot of wedding related events over the next couple days that my wife is going to (she's in the wedding) but, luckily, they are girls-only things.

So I get a lot of free time to run.

I'm staying at the Embassy Suites right by that bridge known for the bats under it, which I need to check out.

So, where should I run?

Are there any nice big parks or running paths? Ideally I'd like a route at least 10-15 miles. Longer would be even better. I guess if there are some great shorter routes, I could do them over and over. I've got a lot of time. Also, something I can get to without a car. Or a route I could run to.

Thanks!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

kcam

You don't need to drive anywhere - you're right at the best place to run in Austin.  Town Lake running path.  Here's a course from RA that basically shows this path.

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/find?lat=30.267605&lng=-97.742984&location=Austin,%20Texas&radius=1609

You don't need to drive anywhere - you're right at the best place to run in Austin.  Town Lake running path.  Here's a course from RA that basically shows this path.

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/find?lat=30.267605&lng=-97.742984&location=Austin,%20Texas&radius=1609

Didn't know that feature existed.  Very cool. Thank you.

My memory of visiting Austin combined with the map shown... Route 7 looks like a great route.

Congress & the river and running along the river should be good.

(BTW, didn't know that RA had that route selection tool)

Enjoy!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's a wonderful trail.  It's cool that you won't even have to drive or walk to it!  I run there whenever I'm back home.  There are enough bridges across the river that you can design a run of whatever length you wish.  Just run early in the day if you're not used to the heat!

I'm jealous you'll be in Austin - I haven't been there since last May. Hmm, may have to start planning a trip.

kcam

Yes, I thought that link would take you directly to '7' but there ya go!

Byrd

As everyone has said, you couldn't have picked a better jumping off point for running in Austin. If you like adding in some trail running the Barton Creek Greenbelt is a great option. The trails are marked clearly with mile markers and you can easily add some big miles there. The trail isn't too technical, pretty smooth for the most part, but there are some rocky sections where you need to watch your footing. Definitely carry water if you decide to go long on the greenbelt. It's already into the 90's every day and it's a bit humid out here.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=5444056

The trail around Ladybird has a couple water stops with coolers and plenty of drinking fountains, btw.

Have fun!

ultramarathon/triathlete

Thanks for the route ideas! I've had two great runs so far.

Ran 11 miles yesterday and 8 this morning. You're right about the heat. Both runs were in 94 degrees and something like 50% humidity. Luckily there is some shade on that running path. And I found it REALLY nice that there was ample water along the way So I didn't have to carry anything with me.

Probably getting another 10 or 12 miles tomorrow morning. Damn it's hot here. When I left NYC it was in the 50s!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

trimom

Yes, it has been quite hot and more humid than usual the past couple weeks.  Next week will be cooler (highs in the 80s).  I'm glad you are getting to enjoy our beautiful trail.  90s is nothing...in the summer it's over 100 almost everyday, so we have to pretty much run in the dark.  Sad  BUT we have great winters!  Smile  At least it's usually a drier heat than we're having now, though.  

Feeling the growl again

I thought I had something to add but nope, it's been covered.  I ended up going far past Barton Creek to where I was pretty much running up the dry creek bed.  It was a memorable run.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

ultramarathon/triathlete

I ended up running along one of the trails until I got to a dry creek bed, and kept going for a bit too.  That was memorable, cool scenery.  We don't really have that in NYC Smile

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team