My son is starting running today! (Read 638 times)

Now that was a bath...

Jake's seven and loves to run. He won almost every race at his school athletics day last year (just lost the one). I signed him up at a local kids athletics club and he starts later today. He is soooooo excited about it. It's all I can do to stop him coming out with me every day! Fortunately the club is on the running track on my road (a five minute walk away) so we can get there easily (remember I don't drive). There is club night every Tuesday evening, training on wednesday and friday and a race/ribbon day every Saturday where the kids compete against other local running clubs. Ha - now I can live through Jake Wink. I might never be very fast but I get to be 'Evil Mom' coach and whip my son into shape! It's so cool that Jake wants to run too! Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Now that was a bath...

Hey I really enjoyed last night! Jake was running against five other boys his age - well four boys and his best friend who by coincidence chose to start the same activity on the same day! Jake came fourth in the first race (he had to be reminded to run at one point, lol, and joint last with his best friend in all the others Tongue In one race he and his best friend decided to run holding hands to give themselves 'super powers'. That's my boy! I was so proud. Maybe in a few years he'll come last without holding hands. One things for sure, some of the parents take it quite seriously. One woman stood at the side of the track screaming 'faster - you're not even trying!' at her poor son as he puffed his way through 400m! I wanted to push her over! There was a fourteen year old there that showed some potential though. They handicapped him massively making him start way behind the other kids of his age but he still won everything. All in all it was really fun and it was great to see Jake doing something that didn't involve a keypad or controller. Claire xxx
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Cool! Are you going to teach him to log his runs on RA? Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Very Cool Claie!!! I think that is so awesome!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Ha - now I can live through Jake Wink. I might never be very fast but I get to be 'Evil Mom' coach and whip my son into shape!
            That's excellent! And if the whipping doesn't work, perhaps your nail spiked paddle might Tongue I'm only kidding!!! It is nice to see parents and children sharing the same passion.

Now that was a bath...

Cool! Are you going to teach him to log his runs on RA? Big grin
              That's a good idea. I'll take my stopwatch next time and we can record it on here. It will be interesting to watch his progress! Claire xxx
                Hey Claire! It looks like we have something in common! My little guy is 7 too and psyched about running! Even though it's been unseasonally warm for us this winter, he's been stuck inside a lot of it battling pneumonia (coupled with his asthma). Luckily, I think he's at the end of it & we'll be able to go outside a bit! He's done the treadmill but I'm so paranoid about that as he broke the darned safety clip the other day & I can just see his little body flinging into the wall behind him! Big grin He's so anxious to "race" too! We have trails right outside our door, so he loves to go with me whenever he can (I drop him off after a few rounds). I plan on signing him up for a kid's race or two this spring or summer. Don't you find Jake's energy is contagious?! I LOVE it!!! Holding his best friend's hand for super powers!! My son would do that too! It's great he's got a mom like you vs. the one screaming at her kid to go faster. Sometimes it makes you wonder about those parents who seem so hardcore. Tongue Let us know if he keeps up with it and how he's doing!
                  In one race he and his best friend decided to run holding hands to give themselves 'super powers'. That's my boy! I was so proud. Claire xxx
                  I'd love to have seen that--and I can understand how proud you must be! Hope you're getting some pictures to look back on later.
                  My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How fun! I can't wait until my son is a little older and does sports. We did soccer a couple of Springs ago, but he was really too young and silly to do more than flirt with the girls on both teams (though he did become a bit of a secret weapon and was a good goalie). I think we may try it again this Summer. He has a TON of energy and I have a feeling will be pretty naturally athletic. I'm glad that you are a reasonable mom with sports. Even in the kiddie soccer (kids 4-6, so really little guys and girls) we saw some psycho soccer moms. Luckily our son was on a team with a very kind and patient coach and all the families with kids on his team were super cool. We even made friends with one family. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I try to teach my kids good sportsmanship all the time. And I don't push them when they participate in a sport. However, I am highly competitive, so when I compete against them in anything (running, pool, air hockey, foosball, board games, etc), I never let them win just to be nice. Then if they lose, I rub it in. And if I lose, I have a fit!! Wink My parents bought the kids a 15-in-1 game table for Christmas & they have heard me swear more since we started using that than they have in their entire lives!! Bad Mom! Evil grin
                      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                      RunningHammer

Nice one Claire - but i bet you'll have him doing Waiheke next! Wink
                        OverAnalyzer

cute!!!! i hope i can pass my love of running on to my son as well (once he can walk and all :rollSmile can i just tell you how much i hate that you have a tan in that picture....looks great! i am perusing slushy/sloppy/snowy muck outside and am only slightly bitter. ps no twinges from cyndi (well, some) but some concern over a C.