Sub 3 How many miles per week? (Read 2499 times)

Feeling the growl again

I agree, I am looking at it backward, but I am trying to determine if it is in the relam of possibilty.  All I know is I trained half a$$ed for 15 weeks (25MPW) off no running background, blew up and ran 3:28.  With 4  years of of running since and an entire summer to smartly up my mileage and workout  volume is 2Tight lippedx a pipe dream?  It is sounding like no.  

The reason I choose 50MPW is that is about double my current volume and that is proably all the time I can spend running.  I will certainly hit it hard this summer and try for more and would love to average more and run 2:55 but I am being realiatic about the I can afford to spend.

I think it will give you a decent shot.  But you need to take off >1min/mile...which is huge.  So don't be too disappointed if you don't get there, I am sure if you follow through on the plan you will still see massive improvement.  If you then continue and do it again next year, building on what you did this year even at similar mileage, your odds would be very high.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

finally Sub-3!!!

Hey Eveyrone,
      I am taking my third shot at the marathon. My first one was four years ago, I ran 3:28 off about 25 MPW average. I have been running about the same amount per week since then. I would like break 3 hours this coming fall. I am starting to ramp up my mileage. How many miles a week should I get up to? I am 31, male, 6'1", 165lbs, with  PR's of 31:10 for 5 miles and 1:28:30 for the half.

I was thinking 40-50 MPW would get me there.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I just ran a 2:59 and a 3:02 on 44 & 45 mpw average for 11 & 15 weeks, respectively.  I've been running for 2 years, my first marathon was Feb '11 and I ran a 3:10.  I averaged 25mpw for all of 2011.

Here is my race report for the 2:59 if you care to read it 2011 Rocket City Marathon, Huntsville Alabama

My basic training week looked like:
      weekly theshold (3x1mile@TP),
      1-2/week Tempo (90' as 15 easy, 60@MP, 15 easy),
      biweekly Long runs capped at 150' as 30'@Easy, 60'@MP, 30'@Easy, 30'@MP
      Every other day was a 45' Easy run except for a few off days.

I also posted on Let's Run asking a similiar question and got a lot of folks saying I couldn't do it.  Then when I did, they said I was a twat for tapering and that sub-3 is only fast for Chicks and old dudes.  That is why I ran the 3:02 without a taper.  It may be for twats, but I'll take it.  I jacked up my knee at that race, and I can't help but think its because I went into it fatigued.  

hope that helps.

This is what a sub-3 looks like.  :)      Distinctly different than this. :(  Still a Great race though, much tougher course!

2011 Rocket City Marathon, Huntsville Alabama          2012 BankTrust First Light Marathon, Mobile Alabama

I also posted on Let's Run asking a similiar question and got a lot of folks saying I couldn't do it.  Then when I did, they said I was a twat for tapering and that sub-3 is only fast for Chicks and old dudes.  That is why I ran the 3:02 without a taper.  It may be for twats, but I'll take it.  I jacked up my knee at that race, and I can't help but think its because I went into it fatigued.  

hope that helps.

In some respects, they're right. Those are pretty condescending comments, but that's what you get at Let's Run.

When most of those guys get older, they'll be dreaming of the days when sub 3 was an easy paced run/jog. Most of them will just quit running because they can't run like they use to.  

finally Sub-3!!!

In some respects, they're right. Those are pretty condescending comments, but that's what you get at Let's Run.

When most of those guys get older, they'll be dreaming of the days when sub 3 was an easy paced run/jog. Most of them will just quit running because they can't run like they use to.  

Blows my mind, man.  I can kind of see it if you grow up running, or even if that is your only sport, but 26.2x6 anything seems crazy fast to me.  I spent the last few weeks before the marathon wondering how in the world I was holding those paces in training.  It still blows my mind.  I'm sure its all perspective.  Two years ago, I thought a 25-flat 5k would make me a solid runner.  I'm sure next year I'll realize that a 2:45 marathon a long way from FOP.

But for chicks?  You really think <3 isn't fast for the ladies? Whoa.  I need a big dose of perspective. 

Honestly, I feel a pretty big sense of accomplishment with that sub-3.  Fast or slow is relative, but it was freakin' hard for me.

Blows my mind, man.  I can kind of see it if you grow up running, or even if that is your only sport, but 26.2x6 anything seems crazy fast to me.  I spent the last few weeks before the marathon wondering how in the world I was holding those paces in training.  It still blows my mind.  I'm sure its all perspective.  Two years ago, I thought a 25-flat 5k would make me a solid runner.  I'm sure next year I'll realize that a 2:45 marathon a long way from FOP.

But for chicks?  You really think <3 isn't fast for the ladies? Whoa.  I need a big dose of perspective. 

Honestly, I feel a pretty big sense of accomplishment with that sub-3.  Fast or slow is relative, but it was freakin' hard for me.

You're still young so you can improve a lot.  Sub 3 may become easy for you yet!

A friend/acquaintance of mine ran his first marathon at about your age, maybe slightly youner. He was over-weight and never ran before in his life. He struggled to finish his first marathon in over 4 hours, and swore he'd never do it again.  He's now 36 (or 37 years old). Last year he set a PR in the LA marathon, running a 2:36.  (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/21/mcrunner-sets-personal-re_n_838382.html

spinach

I was doing about 45 - 50 per week when I did 2:59 and i hope to do it again this year on that mileage, or maybe a little less.  I have been running for over ten years now and so I have a good base.  I would like to get in more miles but I am getting old and my 54 year old legs won't let me run more than 3 or 4 times a week.  Only rarely do I run two days in row.  Back when I was younger I was frequently forced to stop running for long stretches because of my knees and this easier schedule has worked for me the last ten years, my knees haven't forced me to stop yet.

My plan to get ready to break three this year is to get in a long run (18-20) each weekend for the next several months and as the weather improves and the May marathons approach I will include another long run (12 to 15 miles) with the last five or seven miles at 6:45 pace.  Other runs during the week will be fairly easy 5 to 7 miles and there will be other shorter races about every other week. 

Feeling the growl again

Most of the "people" over there are not as fast as they claim to be.  Many of the people making those comments have likely not run a marathon...or graduated high school yet. 

Most of the quality posters left years ago...a good place to make one feel better about their IQ but not terribly useful for running advice any longer.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I was doing about 45 - 50 per week when I did 2:59 and i hope to do it again this year on that mileage, or maybe a little less.  I have been running for over ten years now and so I have a good base.  

My plan to get ready to break three this year is to get in a long run (18-20) each weekend for the next several months and as the weather improves and the May marathons approach I will include another long run (12 to 15 miles) with the last five or seven miles at 6:45 pace.  Other runs during the week will be fairly easy 5 to 7 miles and there will be other shorter races about every other week. 

Spinach, that is very helpful.

I am trying to do the Pfitz 18/55 plan for the CMM and wasn't sure if it would be enough miles to get close to 3 (my goal is 3:15 for this one and then sub-3 in the Fall). I would do the 18/75 plan, but I would have to give up my circuit class that I take twice a week which I really love (and it also helps with my overall fitness and speed).

--

Nashville, TN

DoppleBock

Hey Spaniel

I had a dream last night that I passed you at mile # 20 at Carmel ~ Not sure what that means ~ Maybe that I am ready to train

This morning I actually got up when my alarm went off and ran 15 miles before work ... only 3 walk breaks.

Still fat though.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

allies

I've run 3 marathons so far.

I broke 3:00 (2:45:17) on my first marathon peaking at 55 MPW

I bonked at mile 21 on my second marathon at the same MPW and ran a 3:03Tight lippedx

I broke 2:45 (2:42:10) on my third marathon and I peaked at 45 MPW -- I had a hamstring pull so I had to be on a stationary bike for my peak week.

Honestly, everyone reacts differently to different training.  You need to listen to your body and make sure you don't overtrain, but also make sure you do enough to have the base to make it through 3 hours on your feet.

In my opinion, however, if someone has a running background and trains smartly, there's no need to go over 50 MPW for a sub3 marathon.

Feeling the growl again

Hey Spaniel

I had a dream last night that I passed you at mile # 20 at Carmel ~ Not sure what that means ~ Maybe that I am ready to train

This morning I actually got up when my alarm went off and ran 15 miles before work ... only 3 walk breaks.

Still fat though.

I totally missed this post.  Well a few weeks ago I would have thought that was just another bad omen for me.  Things are looking up now though.  But hey, if you'd run Boston last year, you probably WOULD have passed me about mile 24 as I was curled up on the curb waiting for my muscles to release again.

15 miles before work....wish I had that kind of dedication.

As to the original question, there is no good answer, but I'd throw 50-60 mpw out there for anybody serious about getting sub-3.  Doesn't mean it will be sufficient, I know people who have repeatedly failed with higher numbers than that.  That's AVERAGE miles for at least 3-4 months too, not peak...

DoppleBock

Well the way training has gone ~ or should I say de-fatting and hamstring issues - No worries about this big horse.  I believe I can be in the 2:53-2:59 range.

It would really piss me off if I fail to sub 3 as it would mean I would have to run another marathon this year ... or take care of it at HHFMM.

My dance card is pretty full ~ I am not sure where I would fit in another marathon ~ Maybe 1st weekend of November.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I failed to get under 3 hours just two days ago, off of higher mileage (maybe 70 avg). But, I might just not have it in me. (Or I might decide to try again next year, and try to get more MP running in during training - and maybe a better taper.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DoppleBock

Patience ~ 3:06 to 2:59 is not a river too wide to bridge. 

I failed to get under 3 hours just two days ago, off of higher mileage (maybe 70 avg). But, I might just not have it in me. (Or I might decide to try again next year, and try to get more MP running in during training - and maybe a better taper.)

kcam

I agree, I am looking at it backward, but I am trying to determine if it is in the relam of possibilty.  All I know is I trained half a$$ed for 15 weeks (25MPW) off no running background, blew up and ran 3:28.  With 4  years of of running since and an entire summer to smartly up my mileage and workout  volume is 2Tight lippedx a pipe dream?  It is sounding like no.  

The reason I choose 50MPW is that is about double my current volume and that is proably all the time I can spend running.  I will certainly hit it hard this summer and try for more and would love to average more and run 2:55 but I am being realiatic about the I can afford to spend.

Running sub-3 is absolutely in the realm of possibility.  For someone that can run 3:28 off of 25mpw - 2:5x is not a pipe dream.  Ramp your mileage to 50, if that's all you have time for, and see what happens.  I'd bet you run sub-3.  The first time I ran under 3 hours was off of about 50mpw average with a peak week of 63 (at the time it was the most mileage I'd ever done in one week).  Key differences:  I was 39, my shorter race times were SLOWER than yours (though, probably soft), I had run about 10 marathons already so had a pretty big experience base of making marathon mistakes.