First race completed! (Read 134 times)

This morning I participated in my first 5k race. It was a success. The first half began well, found my groove pretty quick. But eventually my shins began to hurt and tense. In the second half, I adjusted my footwork and things eased up considerably. My time was 33:21, which was better than I had hoped for. I even got a nifty water bottle at the end. Big grin

5K: 33:21 (2013)

nice work on first completed race!    keep those daily runs going & sign up for another 5k in a few weeks.  very good that you enjoyed first race,  now u are going to want more!  

muppy

Nice job on your first race, congratulations!

obiebyke

Hooray! I knew you could do it.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Nice job!

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Congrats!  But be careful, racing can become addictive.  Big grin

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations!  It's always great to hear these first race completion reports, which mean another person has discovered the joy of running. Smile

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats on the race and the water bottle!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Thanks everyone! I already want to sign up for another one -- which brought up the question of my next goal. Since I'm still a beginner runner, I chose to stick with the 5k distance and work on improving my time. Sooo... I plan on starting a sub-30 5k training plan soon. Definitely looking forward to it.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Good job, and good luck with the next one!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

yep     I knew that was going to happen because you had a great experience on your race.  Thats great that you already have race #2 scheduled!  curious of when your next race is & also the training plan.   Training plan something you developed on your own or  found somewhere (lots of good ones, lots of bad ones out there)? .  I would be careful on setting too high of a goal since you are still new at this, but just continuing with what you are currently doing  with  slow upward progression of increasing intensity/mileage should at least get you another PR.     If next 5k is not for a few weeks or months your experience with your 1st race aided by just continuing on with a  consistent run schedule you should have no problem knocking some time off PR.  At this early stage of running you should have a natural upward improvement  as long as you are patient & not try to do to much to soon. very easy to get overexcited & overdo things-leads to injury & possibly burnout.     there are so many factors involved hard to say what a reasonable goal would be.   With that being said I think you would have a very good shot for sub 30.    don't be in a hurray to be too concerned  about new PR's.    Think about being in this thing for the long run (pun intentional) &   enjoy the ride

Run Happy

obiebyke

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

yep     I knew that was going to happen because you had a great experience on your race.  Thats great that you already have race #2 scheduled!  curious of when your next race is & also the training plan.   Training plan something you developed on your own or  found somewhere (lots of good ones, lots of bad ones out there)? .  I would be careful on setting too high of a goal since you are still new at this, but just continuing with what you are currently doing  with  slow upward progression of increasing intensity/mileage should at least get you another PR.     If next 5k is not for a few weeks or months your experience with your 1st race aided by just continuing on with a  consistent run schedule you should have no problem knocking some time off PR.  At this early stage of running you should have a natural upward improvement  as long as you are patient & not try to do to much to soon. very easy to get overexcited & overdo things-leads to injury & possibly burnout.     there are so many factors involved hard to say what a reasonable goal would be.   With that being said I think you would have a very good shot for sub 30.    don't be in a hurray to be too concerned  about new PR's.    Think about being in this thing for the long run (pun intentional) &   enjoy the ride

Run Happy

I got the training plan from Runkeeper. It's their sub-30 5K plan. I'm hoping that plan is somewhat decent? Of course, if I feel the plan is moving too fast, I can always stretch it out a while. I'm not sure when my next race will be but...

Turkey Day 5K?

Monster Dash 5K?

These races are quite tempting. Thanks Obie!

Congrats on your race, and good luck on your next. Big grin

I started this year too and ran my first race slightly slower than yours, (back in the spring). I set a sub-30 goal for my last race and trained hard all summer. I accomplished it, now have another race planned for next weekend. It will be my first 10k.

Good luck on reaching your goal !!!

Congrats on your race, and good luck on your next. Big grin

I started this year too and ran my first race slightly slower than yours, (back in the spring). I set a sub-30 goal for my last race and trained hard all summer. I accomplished it, now have another race planned for next weekend. It will be my first 10k.

Good luck on reaching your goal !!!

Wow! Good luck on your 10k! It's nice to see other new runners on here, not to say I don't appreciate the more experienced runners. It's fun to know other people are in the same boat. I was actually thinking something similar for me. I plan to work on pace over the winter. Once it starts thawing out in the spring, it'll be more enjoyable and a little more practical (at least for me) to work on distance.