Is swimming good for running? (Read 4483 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Do you think swimming will help with my running at all?  I feel in better shape and I feel my overall body shape is better as well.  I can swear I can almost see two stomach muscles these days :-)  I am no where close to rockenmommaof5(sp?) though.  By the way where is she these days or am I just missing her post?

Anyway,, I don't feel like my running is getting better.  Not getting worse either though.  I want to qualify for Boston this year and I am wondering if I am wasting time in the pool that I should be using for running.  My weight is down as well which should help.  I love the swmming but I am wondering if I am focused enough with the running part.  I have a 15K race this weekend but with the whole sprained ankle thing I don't know if that will be a fair test or not as I want to be careful with that.

My thought is that it is a less stressful exercise that I think is helping me be in better shape.  When I taper for the marathon I am hoping that all of this work will pan out for race day.   I am much lighter (10lbs less than Indy) where I was only 74 seconds short.  You would think that should be the difference right there.   All of these doubts could be from the last two weeks of training which have not been great.  The two weeks after this one are critical for me.

So back original question.  Is swimming good for running?  If so how or why.

Thanks,

2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Read your own post and you will see how you think it is good for running....and thats all that matters

.....I feel in better shape and I feel my overall body shape is better as well.

.....My weight is down as well which should help.

.....it is a less stressful exercise that I think is helping me be in better shape

Oh, and btw swimming with a sprained ankle....probably better than running on it.

Me, I hate swimming.   There are numerous things you can do that will improve your running other than running.  If it is something you like to do, then I say, do it.  How much it really helps your running depends on how much running you do...The more running you do, the less impact the swimming will have on your running fitness. 

Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
      Slo

Do you think swimming will help with my running at all?   

Thanks,

Short answer......No.

I believe it greatly improves your overall fitness. I love to swim in the morning following a good 20 miler or a hard set of intervals. It seems to help with my recovery.....gets the blood flowing without adding to the damage from the previous workout.

Indirectly it may help in that you can get additional high intensity cardio workouts in with out to much danger of over training.

If you want to be the best runner you could be then you should probably put all your training time into running....assuming your already doing core worksouts, specific strength training and stretching.

As for the time I dedicate to swimming and biking.....lets face it. I won't be a 5:XX runner. A Sub 3:00 marathon is out my reach. I'm competetive in my age group, I totally enjoy swimming and biking and like to maintain a little upper body mass so swimming fits right into my fitness goals.

Now......If I thought I could go run a 16:20 5k.....or a 2:30 marathon by dropping the other two and putting my available time into running......I would.

Feeling the growl again

Not so much.  Yes, it can do some work for your cardiovascular system, but that does no good if your legs can't make use of the oxygen delivered to them.

I have very good endurance running and held my own on the racing circuit, but the slowest guy on our team could out-swim me.

You develop mitochondria in the specific muscles you exercise.  If you swim you are not going justice for your legs.  If you just run your arms will have terrible swimming endurance (like me).  Unless you are over-training, spending the time on running will do more for you than anything else.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Sjpcollins

Yes it will. As will work on muscles that you wont use in running, its great cardio and you can still do it whilst injured.

It is also very good the morning after a long run

So go take it up.

http://www.coastersgb.co.uk/

Scout7

If swimming takes away time from your running, then no.  If it diminishes your ability to perform running workouts, then no.
              RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I thought maybe I was missing some benefits of swimming.  I don't use my legs much during the swim to try and save them for the run.  So I don't think it is taking away from my running.  However, what I could be doing is instead of swimming twice a week in the morning I could be doing doubles getting in another couple of 6 milers.  I might do that the next two weeks. 

Maybe I will just pick two other days to do doubles and keep swimming.    Getting up four mornings before 5 is not going to be easy.  Ugh decisions, decisions. 

2011 Goals:
                  I think if there's any benefit, it would be an indirect benefit in terms of recovery and helping with muscle imbalance. Swimming is not easy, especially for those challenged at it like me. When I do go swimming, my legs feel refreshed.

In terms of a direct benefit, just think of it this way: if you want to become a better swimmer, would you go swimming, or would you go running? If you want to become a better biker, would you go biking, or go swimming? 

I know the FIRST program gets bashed on here, and rightfully so. But keep in mind the XT days of that program is only substituting the easy running days with XT. The key/hard days are intense running days. So, even the FIRST program treats XT as a recovery tool, not an improvement tool.

Exhibit A for me is my son. Last summer he was on a swim team and as a result didn't run as much as the two prior summers.  When he did run, he was always tired from swim practice.  It was no surprise to me that his running times were the same or slightly worse last summer as a 10 year old compared to when he was 8. He should have been slightly faster just from being older (taller and stronger).

protoplasm72

I swim more now (and am faster) then ever but I run slower then I did 2 years ago.  My run fitness correlates to how much I run which is less then I did 2 years ago.  I'd say if you have weight to lose and swimming helps you lose it then it can help your running.  Otherwise probably not much.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

keeponrunning

I have no technical answers like some people on this board would give you, but I can say from experience that people who are strong (ie. fast) swimmers have a tendency to be good runners.  Not sure if it works vice-versa.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Definitely.

You will be healthier, have better cardio, yet lower your risks of injury. First because you'll be working your cardio without impact stress on your legs but also because you'll be working out other muscles and balancing your body.

But I can guarantee you that swimming does work the legs if you have a good workout. I swim with a triathlon club twice a week for 1:30 hour each and whenever I ran the morning of my swim, it sure is much more difficult than when my legs are rested. 

If you want to take total advantage of your swimming I suggest you do some intensity in your swim and do varied workouts, not just laps of freestyle. Try to find a master's club in your area and train with them.

It depends.

I've seen it work wonders--for example for an injury prone runner or one who's not blessed with a runner's build and is maxing out the mileage they can run without injury but are able to augment their running with swimming.  It improves overall fitness, helps with weight loss and provides some recovery benefit from long runs and workouts.  All of which helps with running.

But if you can handle more running then there's really no substitute and if you're already running high mileage it probably won't do a damn thing except make you more tired.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

Its good for recovery though.  I recover much faster with a gentle swim.  But I think if you are doing hard swim workouts you'd be better doing another run and then just ending with 15 minutes in the pool.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

Its good for recovery though.  I recover much faster with a gentle swim.  But I think if you are doing hard swim workouts you'd be better doing another run and then just ending with 15 minutes in the pool.

If it is additive, as Mikey says, it is beneficial.  If it is subtracting from time devoted to running, it is most likely a negative.

For injury-prone runners, it is adding.  For people like me, I originally planned on being an ironman triathlete but found I could handle incredible volumes of running without breaking down.  I kept getting faster running with more volume and cross-training only inhibited that.  If you get injured multiple times when you hit 60 mpw but have TIME to train more, by all means, run 50 mpw to remain uninjured and swim/cycle additional time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I'm not sure if I can handle more miles or not.  The next two weeks should get me up in the high 60's and low 70's for the first time ever.  I am generally injury prone except for when I run too many hills which I have backed off a lot or play soccer (pulled calf muscle and sprained ankle I think). 

I've run close to the same number of miles I did for Indy in the fall but with a lot of swimming on top of it.  Not sure if the swimming will help much but I am hoping that 10 - 15 lbs of lost weight will get me 74 seconds.  I don't feel any faster though.  I actually feel slower but that could just be mental.  I will know more after this weeks 15K race. 

I guess I have to figure out what I want to be.  A marathon runner or a triathlete?  Sounds like another post. 

2011 Goals: