What happens when you miss several long runs during beginning of marathon training? (Read 222 times)

irunsf85

If I've missed 3 long runs ranging from distances of 10-14 miles in a row and am training for a marathon at the beginning of November, should I consider myself screwed and scrap the idea of running the event and find a different race?  Or is it still early enough in the training cycle that I can redeem myself?  I'm a new runner and have only been at this for about 1.5 years but have completed one marathon so far and at least 5 1/2s.

DaBurger

I'd say no, one thing to consider is, depending on the plan you're using, those early 10-14 milers are geared towards helping people who've never run weekly/biweekly long runs that far before (people not used to 16-20 miles), since you've been through a marathon buildup, your body will readjust to the length of those long runs faster.

Know thyself.

Latent Runner

Yup, no worries, you're good to go for your November Marathon.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Probably not much, just don't try and hit the longer runs in your schedule for this weekend, but instead back off one or two weeks in your plan, and you'll be fine.

FWIW I am planning a marathon in late November, my longest run in the last 6 months - one 10 miler, missed the planned 12 and 13 mile runs last two weekends.

If I've missed 3 long runs ranging from distances of 10-14 miles in a row and am training for a marathon at the beginning of November, should I consider myself screwed and scrap the idea of running the event and find a different race?  Or is it still early enough in the training cycle that I can redeem myself?  I'm a new runner and have only been at this for about 1.5 years but have completed one marathon so far and at least 5 1/2s.

I don't think it is too late at all.

As an aside, I don't think you need to redeem yourself as you've done nothing that needs redemption. Have fun!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Raj Palaniswamy

I've missed the last 3 long runs including today (September 7) and have a marathon early November. I've also missed some speedwork sessions. Am seriously considering putting off this marathon because I was hoping to hit a pace target. Any advice?

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

Your still good to go, adjust your training a little and don't set high expectations for the first marathon. My first marathon I set what I thought was a reasonable goal based on my training and was off the mark by 15 minutes. I did not let that dissuade me did much better the following year in the same marathon. However I still exceed my expected time due to stopping to assist a runner who fell hard and needed medical support. My goals were first to complete then compete. The completion of the first marathon allowed me to better tweak my training for the second and subsequent runs.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

Raj Palaniswamy

Thank you for that.

This is my second marathon actually and I had some time goals in mind. I know I'll be disappointed and likely discouraged if I don't come anywhere close / have to adjust them significantly. So I'm still thinking about this ....