As seen on TV - blender/juicer question (Read 302 times)

quilt-n-run

I saw a commercial for the Magic Bullet NutriBullet the other day and I was wondering if it really was healthier to eat foods that had been emulsified into a juice. I know juicers take out all the liquid and leave the fiber behind, but this thing turns it all into liquid. Is there any science behind "breaking apart" the cells and releasing the nutrients? Will your body absorb vitamins and nutrients better this way?

The one health benefit that I did see was that I could toss in some not-so-tasty healthy foods in with some yummy fruits or veggies and get the benefit without the taste. But, I was wondering if there was more to it.

Fighting cancer 60 Miles at a time. www.the3day.org/goto/mbailey2013

We got one of the nutribullets. I have no idea if it's healthier to eat foods that have been blended like that, but I (wife and son too) do find myself eating more of a variety of fruits and vegetables with this thing than I ever have in my life. That should be a good thing.

I feel much more satisfied, and for much longer, after one of my concoctions than with a glass of something else.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

So it sounds like the Nutribullet doesn't remove all of the fiber the way a traditional juicer does.  Good news there.  The problem is that even if the fiber is still in the mix, it's been broken down so much that I wonder if it's even relevant.  The drawback of any processing that makes something easier and faster to digest (such as breaking fiber down so much that it isn't functionally the same) is that the same food is more likely to have a higher glycemic index in mashed-up-pulp-form vs raw.

The stuff about breaking apart the cells and releasing nutrients sound like hokum to me.  That's what your digestive system is for.

But If having one makes you eat a lot for fruit/veggies, overall a good thing nutritionally, but you might still be losing the fiber benefits.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

So it sounds like the Nutribullet doesn't remove all of the fiber the way a traditional juicer does.  Good news there.  The problem is that even if the fiber is still in the mix, it's been broken down so much that I wonder if it's even relevant.  The drawback of any processing that makes something easier and faster to digest (such as breaking fiber down so much that it isn't functionally the same) is that the same food is more likely to have a higher glycemic index in mashed-up-pulp-form vs raw.

The stuff about breaking apart the cells and releasing nutrients sound like hokum to me.  That's what your digestive system is for.

But If having one makes you eat a lot for fruit/veggies, overall a good thing nutritionally, but you might still be losing the fiber benefits.

With the nutri bullet (same with vitamix, blendtec, etc), you don't throw away any of the edible parts of the food.  I only remove the core/seeds from things like apples and pears.

Re the fiber part, if more regular trips to the bathroom are any indication of sufficient fiber intake, then I'd say I'm still getting the fiber.  I believe that was a problem for me with my regular juicing machine, which I still have and use.  I like using my regular juicer for celery, and then use the celery juice instead of water in the nutribullet.

I don't believe fiber has to be "think or solid" to be viewed as fiber by the body. Oatmeal is considered somewhat high in fiber and it's usually pretty thin.

ultratrailrunner

I received the magic bullet for Christmas. I have only used it a few times but I really enjoy it. I just throw in whatever fruit I have around in and then some spinich and other veggies I usually don't look forward to eating and have a affordable healthy fruit shake.  All the fiber is still there but I don't know if it is healthier or if you absorb any more nutrients then eating the veggies whole. Definately an effective way get some more veggies in your diet if you usually don't crave stuff like Kale and Broccoli. The way I look at it, blended veggies are better then no veggies!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I saw a commercial for the Magic Bullet NutriBullet the other day and I was wondering if it really was healthier to eat foods that had been emulsified into a juice. I know juicers take out all the liquid and leave the fiber behind, but this thing turns it all into liquid. Is there any science behind "breaking apart" the cells and releasing the nutrients? Will your body absorb vitamins and nutrients better this way?

No.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Cool Jump Suit

With the nutri bullet (same with vitamix, blendtec, etc), you don't throw away any of the edible parts of the food.  I only remove the core/seeds from things like apples and pears.

Re the fiber part, if more regular trips to the bathroom are any indication of sufficient fiber intake, then I'd say I'm still getting the fiber.  I believe that was a problem for me with my regular juicing machine, which I still have and use.  I like using my regular juicer for celery, and then use the celery juice instead of water in the nutribullet.

+1  We have a blendtec and a Breville juicer.  We sometimes use them together.  We'll take something that doesn't juice well, like spinach, and chop it with some water in the blendtec and then mix it with juice from the Breville.  But even if I just drink juice from a juice it still whips through me like karate.

So bittersweet,
                This tragedy
                Won't ask for absolution;
                This melody,
                Inside of me,
                Still searches for solution.
                A twist of faith,
                A change of heart
                Cures my infatuation.
                A broken heart, 
                Provides the spark
                For my determination.

No.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

+1

Although, in truth, I eat a fair bit of fish and some meat, but at least it's "food".