Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave  Shame about the race but if most everyone is running slow then take it with a grain of salt. In addition to loving trails, I can tell we're very different runners because I absolutely love running in the rain. It's simply the best. I forgot about your ankle injury, good luck getting that rehabbed. Is it more of a proprioception issue or just a mobility issue?

It's a proprioception thing mostly at this point, I think.  The ankle mobility itself seems to be much improved (and by improved I mean that there's LESS mobility. I've gotten to the point where I'm fine with one legged balance in yoga (tree pose, warrior 3, etc).  But it still feels iffy on steep descents, tight turns, and uneven footing - I've been lazy about addressing those issues (I was hoping they'd just improve with time and running).  So I'm going to check back in with PT to see how to change up my injury prevention/management routine.

Running in the rain - I honestly enjoy a light rain if a) I have a hat on, b) I've got decent traction, c) I can change out of my wet clothes as soon as I'm done running (not an option if I'm running to the gym, grocery store, etc).

Progression runs - I love the things.  And as CK notes, they are really good for developing the habit of speeding up even when you're tired.  It just becomes second nature - a good thing in a race.   I also agree with Jmac's observation about not needing to go much faster than marathon pace.

Flavio- I hope you feel better!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Progression runs - big fan of these although I don't do them that often.  The one workout where I really knew I might be on to something ahead of my recent HM was when I did an 8-9 mile progression run, starting around MP and finishing around 10km pace.  I wouldn't recommend pushing them that hard often and in general I think finishing around HMP is probably fine but it was a great way to simulate race level intensity.

JMac - I seem to recall pretty much any time you have raced a 5k in the last while the weather has been poor!  It definitely has an impact even over shorter distances, but less so than for a HM.

Flavio - Switzerland sounds awesome!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Someone needs to take on your role of complaining about your weather complaining.

Are you complaining that I'm not complaining enough about the weather complaining?

Zebano - I am really bad with cold hands, definitely Raynaud's. I found some weird gloves lobster fisherman use when I run in the rain. I also will wear arm warmers under my usual winter running clothes because my forearms will freeze in the winter. I used to come home from runs in the rain where I literally could not untie my shoe laces, which was an issue because that's where my key was tied. I can't believe you like 50s and raining. 60s and raining is fine. 50s is meh. 40s sucks.

Bikers - I didn't think I could hate them anymore than I do, but they topped it yesterday. Some asshole MAMIL was riding with his buddy chatting and the second he passed me he spit into the runners' lane. Got a piece of me. What is wrong with these guys? Literally a mile later, I saw a guy almost hit 2 pedestrians who were in a crosswalk with the red light, and he had the audacity to yell at THEM for getting in his way and not looking. If you want to ride like that, show up to Central Park at 5:30 am. Don't do it at 4 PM on a nice summer day.

There are a lot of great things about running in Central Park, mainly all the people watching you get to do while running. I am never bored in there. But the amount of bikers in their ridiculous suits (which has increased incredibly with the pandemic) is not one of them.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Bikers - I didn't think I could hate them anymore than I do, but they topped it yesterday. Some asshole MAMIL was riding with his buddy chatting and the second he passed me he spit into the runners' lane. Got a piece of me. What is wrong with these guys? Literally a mile later, I saw a guy almost hit 2 pedestrians who were in a crosswalk with the red light, and he had the audacity to yell at THEM for getting in his way and not looking. If you want to ride like that, show up to Central Park at 5:30 am. Don't do it at 4 PM on a nice summer day.

There are a lot of great things about running in Central Park, mainly all the people watching you get to do while running. I am never bored in there. But the amount of bikers in their ridiculous suits (which has increased incredibly with the pandemic) is not one of them.

Ugh - I'm sorry.  I would have hoped that the separation of bike lanes and runner lanes would protect from these types of incidents, but I guess not.

I honestly feel that 95% of cyclists are great and responsibly share the pavement.  But there's that 5% that are just really difficult.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I think darkwave is probably right - most of them are fine but it only takes a few...

Last night I ran in Hagley Park which is often quite busy with runners and cyclists, although less so in winter.  Last night it was dark and cold (0C/32F) so there were fewer than usual.  The paths are all very smooth and wide, especially through the middle of the park where they join up with bike paths on each side of the park.  They are shared but plenty of room even in summer.  At one point the loop I run joins the main path through the middle of the park and I have to veer right which means I have to cross the main path to get to the left hand side (keep left is the general rule in NZ) but this time there were bikes approaching so I kept right on the inside of the path to not cross their paths - one was approaching very fast and it turned out was turning into the path I was coming from.  There was tons of room.  But he wanted to hug the turn which is exactly where I'd gone so he's coming straight at me very fast (I had a head torch on).  As he got closer I realised he wasn't moving so I had to step off the WIDE path on to the wet and muddy grass to avoid being cleaned out.  As he went past he had the nerve to yell at me!  Don't worry JMac I burned the trees with my response.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ugh - I'm sorry.  I would have hoped that the separation of bike lanes and runner lanes would protect from these types of incidents, but I guess not.

I honestly feel that 95% of cyclists are great and responsibly share the pavement.  But there's that 5% that are just really difficult.

It may well be that 95% of cyclists are great, but it's the other 5% that likely ride 95% of the miles...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Marky_Mark_17

Ooo, I've got some good ones here.

One of my common running routes (along Upper Harbour Drive / Bridge) is a shared pedestrian / cycle path.  Over the bridge it is clearly marked with a line to separate pedestrians on the outside and cyclists on the inside.  There are a lot of big groups of cyclists along there and generally they are courteous.  However, on a couple of occasions I've just about been taken out by cyclists boosting it down the bridge in whatever lane they choose and not even bothering to look up to see if there's anyone in front of them or coming the other way.

In general 95% are fine though.  It's just the remaining 5% are particularly careless.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

There will always be some in their own little world who almost kill us, but I've got to say that spitting on someone, even by accident, is disgraceful normally but even worse in this day and age.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It may well be that 95% of cyclists are great, but it's the other 5% that likely ride 95% of the miles...

Well said. The most angry, disrespectful bikers are all the guys in the ridiculously expensive gear/bikes, with helmets on and sunglasses on even though it's cloudy out.

The other things is: I have a lot of patience for people on those rental bikes in Central Park, or people casually riding. That makes up probably 75% of the people biking. They don't know any better. It's like when a child bumps into you on the sidewalk because they're looking at the ground: they don't know any better. But if a 25 year old is looking at their phone texting and slams right into you? That's their fault and I won't be happy.

It's the same thing with these guys: if you are dressed in lycra, I have absolutely no patience for bad behavior. Steve's example is absolutely perfect: I have a similar situation in Central Park. There's a big downhill section that goes around a bend. Some of these guys ride way faster the speed limit and HUG the line that guards the runners and bike lane like they're in the Tour de France. They should know better. Stop buzzing runners going 30 mph on your bike because you're trying to take the tangents. It makes my heart jump every time because they will get within a foot of you if it means hugging the turn even more.

Tangents are for racing, not for training. Same thing for runners: stop running on the left side of the path here in America because it's a shorter route. Why is this so difficult folks???

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

It’s different when the cyclist I’ve encountered are either the ‘cloudy with a chance of sunglasses’ type or the ‘tourists riding on a two way trail as if it is one way or exclusive to mountain bikes’ but I digress. I once lived a live where I raced BMX on a closed course, and knew mountain bikers who did the same. It’s like comparing apples to the Providence of New South Whales.

JMac the cyclist you encountered is the type I upset some people with saying ‘shove a stick in their forks while they’re riding’ because I’d do it knowing exactly what I’m doing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Yeah there's always douchebags in any part of life.

You see it with road rage, bike rage and even runners rage 😳

A couple of weeks ago my son had a dude come screaming up behind him as he was exiting the Harbour Bridge. The guy started raging and making big hand gestures etc  as he pulled alongside my son....who then flipped him the finger  which turned out to be a mistake as the guy was huge gangster gang member dude and followed him for 10 mins. Eventually my son had to stop at a red light and the guy pulls up alongside winds down his window and says.

" Bro all I wanted was for you to say sorry, you were going a bit slow. I could've fucked you up. "

My son replies " sorry man have a good day "

Gangster dude says " you too bro "

And that was it 

Anyway cycling is bloody dangerous they can have it while I destroy my knees 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah there's always douchebags in any part of life.

You see it with road rage, bike rage and even runners rage 😳

A couple of weeks ago my son had a dude come screaming up behind him as he was exiting the Harbour Bridge. The guy started raging and making big hand gestures etc  as he pulled alongside my son....who then flipped him the finger  which turned out to be a mistake as the guy was huge gangster gang member dude and followed him for 10 mins. Eventually my son had to stop at a red light and the guy pulls up alongside winds down his window and says.

" Bro all I wanted was for you to say sorry, you were going a bit slow. I could've fucked you up. "

My son replies " sorry man have a good day "

Gangster dude says " you too bro "

And that was it 

Anyway cycling is bloody dangerous they can have it while I destroy my knees 

Should, could and would all got scared by one little did.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - Making no plans here, first there’s no point and second I have a minority share on the household decisions. If it were by me, we’d be moving away to a different place very 4 to 5 months. There’s just too many places I have a strong urge to visit.

As usual you’re going to race a 5k in horrendous conditions, IIRC you only had good conditions in your time trial PR, right?

Keen - thanks for the recommendation, DCRainmaker did mention that the Polar had the best accuracy.

Zebano - Switzerland looks awesome, MickJogger lives here and note how he’s absent late, he must be busy eating all that cheese and chocolate. Just don't ask him the price for a steak at a restaurant 

Piwi - I was super worried while reading that about your son, but then was reminded it was in New Zealand, a happy conclusion for all involved.

Douchebags - There are douchebags in all walks of life. They always stand out. Sometimes we are said douchebags 

Yesterday I over passed a runner on the sidewalk and he started yelling at me in German/Swiss German. I think he was mad because I passed too close to him (I did give him a 1.5m berth). It was super funny cause he was scolding me in this most elaborate speech and I was understanding zero of it LOL. Unfortunately I couldn't remember how to say sorry ("Es tut mir leid"), all I could say back was "Entschuldigung kein Deutsch" and then "ja ja ja" as I turned my back to him and ran away.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Douchebags - There are douchebags in all walks of life. They always stand out. Sometimes we are said douchebags 

This is an interesting point. When I'm running, I get mad at people on sidewalks who are looking at their phones, or walking on the left side not paying attention, and I have to veer out of their way at the last second. But if I'm walking and some runner is coming up on me and doesn't get out of my way, I would be annoyed at them because they're going twice the speed of everyone else and should be the ones with the most care.

It reminds me of a run I had last year. I was running on the sidewalk and some woman with a small dog had her dog off leash (on the sidewalks of Manhattan mind you, not some park). As I passed the dog, the dog started running after me barking its head off. I stopped running, and the woman came up to me and said "oh it's not your fault." I couldn't believe it: that's the first thing you say? Not "oh I'm so sorry, my dog got away" or even being mad at the dog. No, it's that it could even possibly be my fault that she decided to tell me it's okay. Entitlement 101.

Anyway, all I said to her was "how about you put your dog on a leash?" and kept running. No cursing, no anger, just those words. Then some other woman who witnessed it called me an asshole, which was even more shocking to me! I get chased by some woman's dog, just say "put your dog on a leash" and then I get yelled at for being in the wrong! But thinking back on it, this third party probably saw some runner yelling at a woman with a small dog and he looked like a douchebag.

So maybe we all need to have more sympathy. But not for MAMILs. They deserve all the hate 

zebano

Yesterday I over passed a runner on the sidewalk and he started yelling at me in German/Swiss German. I think he was mad because I passed too close to him (I did give him a 1.5m berth). It was super funny cause he was scolding me in this most elaborate speech and I was understanding zero of it LOL. Unfortunately I couldn't remember how to say sorry ("Es tut mir leid"), all I could say back was "Entschuldigung kein Deutsch" and then "ja ja ja" as I turned my back to him and ran away.

Yup this. As a sometimes cyclist (in lycra) I do empathize with a group that is often too slow for road traffic but way too fast for most trails. On the other hand I also get cars that don't know how to react when I stop at a stop sign which is just bonkers and says a lot about how well most cyclists  obey the law. What are these separated bike & pedestrian trails you guys speak of? Those sound amazing.

Anyways after making a statement about how complaining about the weather is useless, it looks like my 5k a week from Friday will be 82F. Sigh.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)