How am I supposed to feel after a workout? (Read 219 times)

Gizmo2019

That is a good idea. No ideal space for it now but I have definitely thought of that...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Depending how soon you want to get a dreadmill, a lot of treadmills do go up for sale around mid-January when resolutions fall through.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Gizmo2019

Depending how soon you want to get a dreadmill, a lot of treadmills do go up for sale around mid-January when resolutions fall through.

😂

Gizmo2019

FYI, I’m following this plan by Hal Higdon . My husband and I tailored it to my level (between novice and intermediate). It’s been 2 weeks and Ive been able to follow it exactly so far. I’ve just been reducing my speed compared to what I was doing beforehand. I think all my problems stemmed from racing through my training. It took a year for me to finally accept that! I now realize that most of these training programs are more geared towards covering the distance rather than speed. 🤦‍♀️

Or I guess I should I say I knew it was about the distance but I thought I could do cover the same goal by doing a shorter amount of distance faster...(mostly due to lack of training time with my little guy).

The plan I’m folllowing has a day of speedwork involved per week. the only thing I’m trying to figure out now is how fast should I start out during the race if I want the fastest (for me) time? I don’t want to Peter out or be on the couch the rest of the day. I can over 6.2 mi on avg around 11:00. My fastest 6.2 mi run was a 10:10 pace but that was a few months ago (and I stopped running from being ill for a few weeks).

SMART Approach

Any speed day on a lrogram is not an all out effort. If plan calls for "tempo pace" miles you should still feel decent at end of training run. If it calls for intervals....again these are not all out efforts. Please read my article below on "How To Train Smarter"

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Running%20-%20How%20To%20Train%20Smarter.docx?token=AWyTBpqqsEHAgPFWXYe7P6d7FT3pjBHiQ_D-hwMSglHOW33-VR8t4BexMV1i6PiiDNqHNRT-7f1tpIErUfDJNnTv3kEGpTOnKqAUMv19W6OEIUeYA5zR_MnG3wlPaAUZYstlc0VCF0RJNGXFs8kNdRkw6Q0LOnLBwADd-49dlRYt6XZwtSV9YqvrHMkvmJhcCKVCLrxpqrr-CuXp5HhcIb4G

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Gizmo2019

Any speed day on a lrogram is not an all out effort. If plan calls for "tempo pace" miles you should still feel decent at end of training run. If it calls for intervals....again these are not all out efforts. Please read my article below on "How To Train Smarter"

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Running%20-%20How%20To%20Train%20Smarter.docx?token=AWyTBpqqsEHAgPFWXYe7P6d7FT3pjBHiQ_D-hwMSglHOW33-VR8t4BexMV1i6PiiDNqHNRT-7f1tpIErUfDJNnTv3kEGpTOnKqAUMv19W6OEIUeYA5zR_MnG3wlPaAUZYstlc0VCF0RJNGXFs8kNdRkw6Q0LOnLBwADd-49dlRYt6XZwtSV9YqvrHMkvmJhcCKVCLrxpqrr-CuXp5HhcIb4G

this was great. very useful info. thank you!

im starting to get confused on tempo runs vs intervals. i always thought tempo runs were fairly hard but consistent throughout the run (gradually leading up to that speed). and intervals are a higher speed than tempo runs for a short given time with recovery in between.

and so according to your article (and i believe it to be true also), if ive trained smart, i should be able to start at around a 10:00 pace and gradually get faster on my 2nd half?

SMART Approach

There are so many ways to do so many types of work outs. Tempo is anaerobic threshold work to help body be efficient at managing lactic acid. Popular for longer events but beneficial for all events. Daniels tempo run is 20 minutes at pace around 30 sec slower than 5K race pace. These can be done longer too. One can do tempos at longer time but then pace drops a bit. Over many years , these workouts have evolved and tempo intervals can be done like 3 - 5 x 1 mile with 2 min jogs between. Similar training effect on body. These have benefit because many run continuous time tempos too fast so they defeat the purpose of work out. If doing 4 x 1 mile and you burn out first interval you can still regroup, slow down and have a productive work out. So, one could call this a interval work out but it has benefis of a tempo. A better way to do a continuous run  tempo is to do progressively. If doing 45 - 60 min run you start easy and gradually increase pace throughout.

True intervals are designed to do many things. One would be leg speed or leg turnover. Think 10 x 200m where you are booking pretty good but still keeping form and not all out. 10 x 400 is similar. These can include a full jog recovery or run a bit slower but have less rest. 6 x 800 m at 5K pace with 2 min jog is a standard max vo2 workout. So many things to do and you can ladder a variety of these into one work out as well. Once you are fit and seasoned, you can mix in a variety of these work outs throughout plan to stay well rounded. You may highlight certain work outs as race gets closer depending on distance trained for. I like to do one quality work out per week for general training (long run too) where one week may be tempo type work, another week critical velocity reps or around 10k paced reps and next week like 8 x 400 or 10 x 1 min at 1-2 mile pace. I also include quick striders one or two other times per week like 4-6 x 20 sec fast. Hope this helps. Every run should have structure and/or a purpose. If you are not seasoned and just starting, 80-90% of your running should be comfortable pace to build your base.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Brilliant

Hi Gizmo, I hope your running is going well.  I just checked out your log and wonder if you're still doing your "easy" runs much too fast.  You did one last week at a 9:24 pace.  But earlier in the week you raced a 5k at a 10 min pace.  Others have said this upthread, but you really need to be running most of your runs at an easy pace which is much slower than 5k pace.  Think of it as a jog.  A conversational pace.  You should not be exhausted after an easy run.

I sense a lot of anxiety in your posts that the upcoming 10k is somehow a big chance that you have to get right.  I admire your eagerness!  But can I suggest that the important thing to get right is not the race, but the training?  Then on race day, you'll just do your best, and you'll have a great baseline for further training and improvement.

Gizmo2019

Hi!

you know I’m still trying to figure out the log. Since I run on the treadmill I just note down the stats at the end. I was realizing that miles include my warm up and cool down walk so that is fidging my pace. I’d probably add about a minute to my pace. I usually start jogging around 5.7-5.8 mph and top off no more than 6.2 mph with an occasional 1-2 min sprint around 6.5, 6.7, 7.0 depending on how I feel.

ill have to try to fix my stats.

but you’re right, in the past I have been running way too fast which is causing a lot of problems. I have trouble forcing myself to run slow. My stomach is sensitive no matter what I do with it: eat, don’t eat.

so if I run too fast for too long im cramping for hours.

this is the frustrating part bc I know I can faster at least at intervals but my tummy won’t let me!!

hammadsamla

spam
                      Szilassy

spam