Garmin Fenix 3 (Read 174 times)

Adam Gentile

Anyone have this garmin?  What's your takes?   I'm saving my pennies for this one and would like hear some feed back.

Thanks!

TJoseph

I have had a Fenix 3 for a little over a year. I have the silver faced watch without the sapphire crystal. People were complaining that the gray face was showing scratches on the Garmin forums. Mine still looks great and the crystal hasn't scratched either. I don't use a heart rate monitor when I run, so I didn't purchase that option. I do have a foot pod for it that I use on the treadmill. I have also paired it with speed and cadence sensors on my bicycle and that works fine. The auto-calibration feature for the foot pod has never worked, but I have calibrated it manually.

I wear it as an everyday watch as well as use it for running. I have only used it a few times for cycling and have never taken it swimming. I have owned a 305 and 910XT in the past, and this is by far my favorite running watch. I didn't like the factory rubber wristband and I use a NATO style band with it. The accuracy has been on par with my last two watches, although some people on the Garmin forums were indicating they have accuracy problems with it in heavy tree cover. That hasn't been a problem where I run. They seem to push firmware updates to it every couple of weeks and that problem may have been corrected by now. I haven't checked the Garmin forums in months.

Adam Gentile

Thank you!   I was going to pass on the sapphire as well but going to go with the built in HR monitor.  I would be using it as an everyday watch also.

TJoseph

If you get the built in HR monitor, keep in mind that you can't use a NATO style watch band with it as the band would block the monitor. However, they have a lot more band options now than when I bought the watch. I forgot to mention that I get about 4 or 5 days out of it using the GPS for an hour or so a day or easily a week without using the GPS. I don't know how the HR monitor would affect the battery.

danworley

I have had the  fenix 3 also.  I like it a lot.  Simple to use, looks great, good battery life, pairs to satellite quickly.  It is accurate with the swim, It works well for biking and running and has all the options I want.  The base version, which I have, normally is priced at 499 but has been on sale for 375 at numerous sites recent.  Also check eBay.

Cyberic

I just purchased a Fenix 3 HR and want to use the HR, so no NATO band for me. Has anyone tried a leather strap, Garmin or third party? I have the black silicone band, but I also have the titanium band and the watch looks awesome with it. The problem is that I like to sometimes wear my watch on top of my running clothes in the winter, and can't do that with the titanium band. I'm thinking a leather band would look good and give me the option to wear it on the wrist as well as over my clothes. Are they comfortable? They seem to have way less holes than the silicon strap... Any thoughts?

Adam Gentile

I'm happy I waited going to get the Fenix 5 soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrTYOXmHACw

Cyberic

I'm happy I waited going to get the Fenix 5 soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrTYOXmHACw

The F5 was tempting, but I was tired of waiting, and the F5 will be about 50% more expensive than the deal I got on the F3HR. Hope you're happy with it!

Adam Gentile

i know it's crazy expensive, I was saving for years for the fenix 3 so decided to save a bit more and get the 5. I don't mind waiting, I never buy something new right away, there is always software issues that need to be worked out right when they hit the public.