Flu shot heresy (Read 2156 times)

I believe that's what happened in the 1918 pandemic, the first wave was highly contagious but not so deadly. It then mutated into a strain which killed about 100 million people.

The trouble with people not getting the vaccine is that it doesn't just affect them, it affects everyone. That pisses me off.

read "The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague In History" [John Barry] -- http://www.amazon.com/Great-Influenza-Deadliest-Plague-History/dp/0670894737 -- fascinating book about the advent of modern medicine within the backdrop of the spread of the flu during WWI. 

2012= under-goaled

Most companies that produce influenza vaccine do so with almost no profit, so there is little incentive to induce governments to push vaccination.  Most of those pushing vaccination are nongovernmental officials who are experts in the field and who are from around the world; the government is responding to expert advice.

The part I found most interesting in the Atlantic story was this:

On November 1, 2005, President George W.Bush pronounced pandemic flu a “danger to our homeland,” and he asked Congress to approve legislation that included $1billion for the production and stockpiling of antivirals. This was after Congress had already approved $1.8billion to stockpile Tamiflu for the military, a decision that was made during the tenure of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. (Before joining the Bush Cabinet, Rumsfeld was chairman for four years of Gilead Sciences, the company that holds the patent on Tamiflu, and he held millions of dollars’ worth of stock in the company. According to Roll Call, an online newspaper covering events on Capitol Hill, Rumsfeld says he recused himself from all government decisions involving Tamiflu. Gilead’s stock price rose more than 50 percent in 2005, when the government’s plan was announced.)

THAT BEING SAID: Regardless of government or Pharma motives, I choose what works for me. I've had the flu shot for 20 years, never missing a year.

Last week, our entire family (including me) came down with "flu-like symptoms," which our doctor said was likely H1N1, given what they've seen and the fact we all had the flu shot.

I started taking Tamiflu immediately and missed only 2 days of running and only had a fever for 2.5 days.

I DO believe the government and big business have other interests besides my health, but so long as those interests coincide with my health, I don't care.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

running yogi

i don't know how to make the right decision about getting the flu and h1n1 immunizations or not. i find all the information vast and confusing.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just returned from Walgreens to pick up some other things and talked to an employee who is reasonably certain that H1N1 will be free for everyone.  So I don't think the profit angle works all that well, unless they are profiting exclusively off of the government.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

In other news, my brain keeps reading the topic as "Flu shot hershey".

So for those that don't want the shot, I say... have some chocolate with it.  Chocolate makes many things better.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

i don't know how to make the right decision about getting the flu and h1n1 immunizations or not. i find all the information vast and confusing.

What is confusing about:

• influenza kills and causes great morbidity and discomfort
              • current treatments reduce the burden of disease and death in most people
              • current treatments may not help everybody
              • many research studies, including RCTs, have demonstrated safety of these treatments
              • the risk of death from influenza is substantially higher (orders of magnitude) than the risk of death from treatments
              ?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

This statement makes my head feel like exploding.  How can you express ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! over the internet?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yep.

Information from reliable, reputable sources is consistent and straightforward.

Information from the many voices of the internet wherein every opinion counts as an expert is inconsistent and overwhelming.  And as a result, people will not act.  And as a result, people will die.

How can you express ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! over the internet? Wink

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How can you express ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! over the internet? Wink

I feel the argghhhh too.  Our county is not to get H1N1 vaccine until early NEXT month.  Already there are hundreds of documented cases reported (and far more unreported, but the health dept. has seen no seasonal flu in tests, so it's pretty obvious what everyone else is dealing with), schools are closing for weeks at a time.  By the time we get the vaccine it will be over a month after outbreak before it's even effective for anyone.  Kinda makes me want to be a hermit and wear a mask around my kid, the primary carrier in our household.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A hermit?  Just don't be like Hermit the Hog.

That is a sure fire way to get sick.

A Saucy Wench

yeah and now my friends are all getting on the Dr. Kent Holtorf "I play a doctor on TV" bandwagon. 

It's not available here either and that is the only strain that has been seen around here.  I hope they have it when we go in next month for his normal vaccines. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

#artbydmcbride

Michael Jackson was killed by the Sudanese government??       We should do something!

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A hermit?  Just don't be like Hermit the Hog.

That is a sure fire way to get sick.

I prefer Babe and Wilbur.

~ Sarah Kay

jpnairn

straw man

I will get the regular flu vaccine today, and the H1N1 vaccine when it's available here.

What are the expert opinions (Trent) on these other tips I've been given?

• Wash hands frequently.
                              • Keep your hands away from your face. Don't eat with your fingers.
                              • Gargle twice a day with warm salt water.
                              • Take vitamin C.
                              • Drink warm fluids like tea, coffee, and soup.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Marylander

Shouldn't children, elderly, others at high risk be given preference for the vaccine when there are limited quantities?