Numb toes from orthotics? Possible? (Read 1959 times)

Finished!

Well, I'm actually wogging/jogging for continous 30 min these days - and I've discovered that the toes on my right foot go numb after about 15 minutes of working out - the first time I thought it was a fluke and that maybe it was my socks or the way I was lacing my shoes - happened again today. I'm thinking it's not just a coincidence. Anyone have this happen before? The only real "new" thing compared to prior setups (before I injured myself the first time) is I've got new custom orthotics that I've been "breaking in" for a couple months - though I've only just come off interval jogging on them
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

Basically... run!

Maybe adding the orthotics has made your shoe a bit tighter. (Just wearing thicker socks made my shoes tight enough to cause numb toes once.) If that is the case, it might help to try lacing your shoes a bit looser...

Finished!

I've got an appt with the podiatrist today to check it out - I checked the socks, checked the lacing, there is still plenty of room in the footbox, and the numbness is on the underside of the foot which is why I'm thinking it's the orthotics themselves, not just lacing/fit of the shoe. I sure hope they find something. I';m getting really tired of not being 100% on the running Sad
        Walk + Jog = wog.
          Do you get any pain or just numbness? I'm having an issue with the metatarsals which causes pain in the ball of the foot and sometimes the toes.
          "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
            I'm having an issue with the metatarsals which causes pain in the ball of the foot and sometimes the toes.
            I am having that exact same thing! Do you have any idea what it is? I had an MRI which came back fine, and my ortho has no idea what is up... Confused Modified to add: Do you have pain all the time, or just when running? I have light pain all day, but surprisingly none when I run. I've been dealing with this for over 6 months, about 2 months ago I decided to get back to running despite the pain since nothing appears to be physically wrong. The only thing I cannot do is ride my road bike for over 30 minutes at which point I get a stabbing pain under my 4th and 5th metatarsels.

Finished!

Dammit. it looks like I might have to buy new shoes. AGAIN. According to the Podiatrist, he thinks the arch area of my running shoes is too narrow - causing the orthotic device to cant to the outside. Just for sh*ts and giggles, I put the orthotics in my Keen Boulders and ran in those last night - and surprisingly enough (to me anyway) there was no numbness observed. I have been wearing Mizunos - oddly enough, my less rigid orthotics didn't cause this numbness in the mizunos (though I did get shin splints after running several months...) I have a pair of Rykas in the closet, and I'm hoping they do the trick - there have been a mess of unplanned expenses in the houehold of late. We had to replace both our vacuum cleaner and our toaster oven - each worth a pair of running shoes Wink My history with my poor legs are: severe shin splints that resulted in my getting the new more rigid orthotics in the first place (I've always had orthotics as long as I can remember due to severe overpronation issues). Lately my toes on the outsides of the feet were going numb while running - only noticed on the right hand side, though I'm certain the left would have demonstrated the problem eventually if I ran longer. I have, on occasion, felt pain in the ball of my foot (focused more on the inside oddly enough - as if I had a bunion) as well as in my ankle - also on the right hand side, and I'm not sure what is causing either - but both are intermittant only - though the bunion-like pain (I have no bunion, btw) is recent and has been more persistent of late. That pain, I only notice durin the day, and not while I run.
              Walk + Jog = wog.
                I am having that exact same thing! Do you have any idea what it is? I had an MRI which came back fine, and my ortho has no idea what is up... Confused Modified to add: Do you have pain all the time, or just when running? I have light pain all day, but surprisingly none when I run. I've been dealing with this for over 6 months, about 2 months ago I decided to get back to running despite the pain since nothing appears to be physically wrong. The only thing I cannot do is ride my road bike for over 30 minutes at which point I get a stabbing pain under my 4th and 5th metatarsels.
                When I read the description of Morton's Neuroma, it pretty much describes my pain. However, I haven't been to the doctor so I'm not 100% sure if that's it. I only get the pain when I run. About 3-4 miles into a run is when it really kicks in. It's worse when I run around turns and put pressure on the sides of my feet. I'm trying pads before new shoes. I tried one metatarsel pad last weekend and it helped with the pain. But it caused my sock to bunch with a resulting blister. I just got a new pad today. It's a little bigger so hopefully, the sock won't bunch. I can ride a bike, eliptical or stairmaster without any problem. The local running store has offered to do a gait analysis to see if I'm doing something funny in my stride. Just need to find time to get down there on a weekend.
                "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                  Dammit. it looks like I might have to buy new shoes. AGAIN.
                  Bummer about possibly needing new shoes. It does make sense that too narrow shoes could cause that problem. I hope the Ryka's work out for you instead! I am glad to see you back out there running. Smile
                    When I read the description of Morton's Neuroma, it pretty much describes my pain. However, I haven't been to the doctor so I'm not 100% sure if that's it.
                    I've been to the doctor (4 of them at this point). One did suggest a neuroma between the 4th and 5th metarsels, but I did PT for it with no improvement. I even had a cortison shot into the area which made the pain go away for about 10 days, but it came back after that. I tired metarsels pads with no luck, and they give me really bad shin splints. Ah well, just thought you might have some additional insight. Good luck with the gait analysis.

Finished!

Bummer about possibly needing new shoes. It does make sense that too narrow shoes could cause that problem. I hope the Ryka's work out for you instead! I am glad to see you back out there running. Smile
                      Shaunna - thanks Smile Sorry to hear you're still having to mess with the pain. I see the On the Bench group is quiet- I think it's because we're all busy working through our various pains. I hope the Rykas work too. It was a total surprise that the Mizunos didn't take to the orthotics at all. My previous orthotics worked fine in em! (I was running upwards of 8 miles at a shot at one time with those!) Now I'm barely making it to 2!
                      Walk + Jog = wog.