Best Races: Eastern Plains States to Appalachian Mtns (Read 68 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I just moved to the Indianapolis area, and I'm trying to learn about the best races up to an 8 hour drive from Indy (a broad sweep that would include Saint Louis, Kansas City, Des Moines, Chicago, Madison, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Toronto, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Nashville, Memphis, Louisville, Atlanta, Birmingham ... and a stretch to Omaha, Little Rock, etc.).

I know about the races here in Indy ... but what other cities have races that could also be destinations for a short trip with the family? Looking for halfs and fulls. Bonus if they have 5Ks or fun runs for the kids.

Thanks!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Kalsarikännit

I'be done a ton of marathons and one of my very, very favorites is the Tecumseh Marathon just outside of Bloomington.  It is a fantastic, beautiful, challenging race. I'm sure it isn't the most exciting destination race ever, but Bloomington has a very good brewery (Upland). Plus there is the little town of Nashville, Indiana that gets tons of visitors because it is quaint and packed with tons of little artsy little shops packed with the kinds of clutter that most women like shopping for.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Slo

I'be done a ton of marathons and one of my very, very favorites is the Tecumseh Marathon just outside of Bloomington.

+1

Are you in this year WG? I'm not but need to start putting this one back on my calendar.

Kalsarikännit

+1

Are you in this year WG? I'm not but need to start putting this one back on my calendar.

I wish!  I have a 24 Hour in Phoenix otherwise I would be there. I really miss this race.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart