New member and I need help please! (Read 219 times)

Christirei

I love Lara bars but I think you might have to try a few to figure out What gives you the best boost and what your system is able to digest. If you like nuts Cliff has a new line called Kind bars and I like them as well. A piece of fruit and a bar sounds like a good combo.

Not dead. Yet.

I wish I remembered how to do that 'link to google trick' that Trent started years back.

Do you mean this?

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

NHLA

Why would you drink carrot juice and eat hard boiled eggs.  That is just punishment.  Eat something that taste good.

Just eat something small 3 hrs after breakfast and you will be OK.

Gnfanatic

Why would you drink carrot juice and eat hard boiled eggs.  That is just punishment.  Eat something that taste good.

Just eat something small 3 hrs after breakfast and you will be OK.

Punishment for who? I enjoy it and I dont get sick off of it. The Eggs give me the protein.

NHLA

You really like carrot juice?  There are better ways to cook an egg.

Boy, I can't help with this thread!  My half-marathon pre-race food last night was:  A McChicken Extra Value Meal, followed by 1/3 pint of Ben and Jerry's, then as a 11:00 pm snack, three beers. (Carbs!)...

And this mornings pre-race breakfast was... Coffee.

I need to try what you guys do for healthier choices and see if my performance improves.

---I hope not, because I would much prefer the McChicken Sandwich over the Carrot Juice!  (The hard boiled Eggs sound good though, I could handle that...) Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Gnfanatic

Boy, I can't help with this thread!  My half-marathon pre-race food last night was:  A McChicken Extra Value Meal, followed by 1/3 pint of Ben and Jerry's, then as a 11:00 pm snack, three beers. (Carbs!)...

And this mornings pre-race breakfast was... Coffee.

I need to try what you guys do for healthier choices and see if my performance improves.

---I hope not, because I would much prefer the McChicken Sandwich over the Carrot Juice!  The hard boiled Eggs sound good though, I could handle that... Smile

KL Duke. If I ate that I would have an explosion during the run at physical training.

Gnfanatic

You really like carrot juice?  There are better ways to cook an egg.

yes, I love it. I know there are better ways but I do not feeling like playing Chef at 3:30 AM.

Gnfanatic

I always heard caffeine cramps up your muscles??? this is not true?

Julia1971

I always heard caffeine cramps up your muscles??? this is not true?

I was going to suggest coffee in the morning but was guessing maybe you weren't a fan since it wasn't something you were already doing.

I've never heard about the cramping.  I've heard coffee/caffeine can dehydrate you, which I suppose could lead to cramping, but I think there was a recent study showing this is not the case.  (Here's an article).  My newest habit is to have coffee and Nuun (which is an electrolyte drink) on mornings when I'm running for 2 hours or so.  It's kind of a nasty combination, but I feel like the caffeine wakes me up and the Nuun hydrates me.

Gnfanatic

Thanks Julia, I am Italian so yes I love coffee Smile Problem is since I was a child I would a drink a shot of espresso every night with my parents. So over the years my body built up to it so caffeine does not effect me as much as other people. But I will def have one. Today I am going to be buying fruits, larabars and oatmeal. I will let you guys know how it goes next week. I appreciate all the help!

Maggie & Molly

your original breakfast seems like it is portable - pack it and eat it on the train.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I think you are doing great, getting up that early, sticking with it, and trying hard. Don't worry too much about your performance, rather see it as your "daily training" (which it is, I suppose, with constant evaluation by the supervisors), and don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Perhaps the breakfast is a bit too early. When I get up that early (e.g. for running ultras), I can't eat much for breakfast, just a few spoonfuls (I like oatmeal). Maybe you can prepare most of your breakfast the evening before, sleep 15-30 minutes longer (=shift your night back a bit), and eat on the train. Your body might not be willing to deal with a big breakfast at 4 in the morning, delay digestion, run out of energy anyway, and you end up tired.

When I have to drive to a race with a very early start, I put the oatmeal (I use those envelopes) in a thermos container the night before, add raisins and nuts, and add the boiling hot water in the morning. When I eat this two or three hours later, it is still hot, and soft. I also add extra oats (the instant or old-fashioned type, does not matter to me, and they both soak well), and half a teaspoon of brown sugar. You might give it a try.

But if the breakfast you are having now generally works for you, I would not change much. Just add a granola bar, or a not-so-sweet cookie, some crackers, peanuts, pretzels, etc. about an hour before the workout starts. Do you get hungry before or during the workout? That might be a hint that having part of the breakfast, or an extra snack, shortly before the workout (30-60min.) can do you some good.

Fruit, dried fruit, bananas for potassium, juice, deliver carbohydrates and sugars quickly, which is beneficial if you work out hard. Coffee does not dehydrate you, and the caffein boosts performance. Same goes for citric acid, so an orange before the workout might help, too. Just don't have too much at once, that might make you tired as well, rather spread it out throughout the morning hours.

I think you definitely get enough protein. Adding carbs, or replacing some of the protein with complex and a few simple carbohydrates might help perk you up in the morning. Even as a vivid athlete, you need only 1-1.1 grams of protein per kg of lean body mass. Much more protein might be associated with osteoporosis, so don't overdo it.

Run for fun.

bojangles

Haven't read all of the replies, so this might of been posted, but try doing it fasted. Don't eat anything until after the training session. That may help your "tiredness" before the training. I for one do great training fasted. You can throw whatever at me in the a.m and I will blast through it. Just a suggestion. i know it doesn't work for everyone. Just keep pushing through. It will all be over before you know it.

Quick side note though- I see you are taking in chia seeds. I am not sure how often or in depth their piss tests are, but chia seeds come from the salvia plant and may make you test positive. I have read people testing false positive for salvia because they take in a lot of chia seeds. I am not sure if 100% true or accurate, but just thought I would let you know.