Hill Training (Read 705 times)

mb1973

I live in the mountains of Virginia so most of my runs hhave hills incorporated in to them...My question is this: When training for a flat marathon do I need to incorporate extra hill training in to my program or are the hills that are inevitable during my training runs enough?

I think that hill training is good for you (it's really just speed work in disguise) but if you are training for a flat marathon, then you don't need to go out of your way to add hills. It probably doesn't hurt, but you shouldn't stress over it.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

My legs are killing me

I think that hill training is good for you (it's really just speed work in disguise) but if you are training for a flat marathon, then you don't need to go out of your way to add hills. It probably doesn't hurt, but you shouldn't stress over it.
        Blaine, I know your the "go to" guy on this stuff. I live in a hilly area and when I run outside their are hills on every run. My question is "define a hill workout?" Is it the number of hills you run? Is it the elevation of the hills you run? While I was running yesterday I was thinking just about of of my outside runs could be considered a hill workout. Would I be correct?
          I live in a hilly area and when I run outside their are hills on every run. My question is "define a hill workout?" Is it the number of hills you run? Is it the elevation of the hills you run? While I was running yesterday I was thinking just about of of my outside runs could be considered a hill workout. Would I be correct?
          I'm not Blaine and may give you a different answer, but hill workouts can be any number of things and have many different goals. But, yes, I'd consider running rolling terrain a hilly run. Whether you consider it a "workout", depends on whether you use "workout" for all your runs or have a certain usage of it (some folks use it only for non-easy runs). Lydiard was a strong proponent of running hilly routes. I personally like just running rolling hill routes since it teaches you pace / effort judgement to run over the top of a hill and take advantage of gravity on the downhill (free speed). FWIW, I'm usually training for hilly trail races, and my hill-related runs get classified as rolling (many little hills, 10-30% slopes, mostly 40-180 ft high), hill "repeats" (running same small hill multiple times, usually in the 3-6 min range for the up), med hill (about 700 ft hill, 5-30% slopes, done a couple times), big hills (generally 2000-3000ft vertical, but may be 1000ft in winter; frequently power hiked up, run down), long runs when I can get to hills generally have 2000-4000ft (hopefully more this year) of hills in the 1000ft range. Each has a purpose. I may also do some Lydiard hill drills in there - either as part of runs or when I have limited non-icy terrain so just keep going up and down the one hill. I included these just as examples of various hill workouts for specific purposes and goals - not suggesting they're useful for anyone else. If I were training for a flat race, I'd probably just run the rolling hill route since I can keep moving at relatively constant effort on that. Maybe working the uphills on some runs, and the downhills (overspeed) on other runs - or even on individual hills. (Many of my bigger hills are sufficiently steep that the form is different from flat running. While they provide strength endurance, I find I have to train more on the flat for flat races or hilly races that have flat sections. For me, somewhere in the 3-8% slope range makes a good hill run for a flat race.) One key to hills is to have an objective for whatever you do. Everything falls into place then. Enjoy!
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

My legs are killing me

Thanks Ak!

I generally train with hills and just consider it part of the course, since I do a lot of trail running in areas where there are hills. I can get some flattish runs once I'm past the hill near my house but going in the other direction is gonna involve some serious climbing. I generally only consider a hill a hill workout if the point of going out there is to work the hills. It might be uphill repeats or it might be downhill repeats, but depending upon where I am in the season I try to get hills in on speed day at least a few times per month if not per week. Running hills during an easy run, though, just means that I slow down a little as I go. (Or not, if I feel good.) How you classify it doesn't really matter though. It's a little extra speedwork without it actually involving the extra thought processes during my normal runs, and when I am going to run a flat race I don't go out of my way to get extra workouts on hills in. Nor do I go out of my way to avoid them. If I am training for a race that has a lot of hills, then I make the effort to find some good ones (the specific ones if possible) and train on those. For Boston I did a lot of downhill work ahead of time, for Beach to Beacon I try to find a good sized hill to do repeats up (since I rarely drive all the way to Cape Elizabeth for a workout these days - a few years ago I used to train on the hill itself.)

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)