Cycling harassment (Read 756 times)

xhristopher

What about when you're riding your elliptigo?

Well, in that case people just give me shit because they think I'm Dean.

It must be the spandex

Or the Flags o' Many Countries Mock Turtleneck Zip-Up Frock®.

That dude's leg muscles (or lack of them) indicate that either

(1) he just bought the thing,

(2) he's a model and has no intention of ever using it,

(3) he's a runner,

(4) that thing doesn't help the leg muscles at all!  He's missing his bike muscles.

Well, in that case people just give me shit because they think I'm Dean.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xhristopher

(3) he's a runner,

(4) that thing doesn't help the leg muscles at all!  He's missing his bike muscles.

This dude had a longer line for autographs at this year's Boston expo than Desiree. That kinda pissed me off because I know she could kick his ass.

joescott

This dude had a longer line for autographs at this year's Boston expo than Desiree. That kinda pissed me off because I know she could kick his ass.

Every day and twice on Sunday, she could!  I'm with ya, brother.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mikeymike

x, speaking of spandex and bikes ... have you seen the guy about 5' 6" and 250 who stuffs his plump body into full cycling gear and rides a bike too small for him clockwise around Lake Q while blaring a radio that's usually tuned to some Latin music? Saw him last night. A Lake Q classic.

Runners run

mikeymike

(3) he's a runner,

No doubt. And check this dork out ... clearly a model or a runner. Look at those stick legs!

Runners run

xhristopher

x, speaking of spandex and bikes ... have you seen the guy about 5' 6" and 250 who stuffs his plump body into full cycling gear and rides a bike too small for him clockwise around Lake Q while blaring a radio that's usually tuned to some Latin music? Saw him last night. A Lake Q classic.

Not yet. Somehow I've only remember running round lake Q twice in the last month or so. If I see him I'll be sure to run him down, get his photo/video, and post it here.

xhristopher

No doubt. And check this dork out ... clearly a model or a runner. Look at those stick legs!

I'm sure Andy is a model. What self respecting runner shaves his legs?

Hip Redux

My geriatric dog had a lot of muscle wasting towards the end of her life.  We used to call them her "Andy Schleck legs".   True story.

My hometown just passed a new ordinance that specifically addresses bicycle harassment, with criminal punishment.

xhristopher

My hometown just passed a new ordinance that specifically addresses bicycle harassment, with criminal punishment.

They also passed an ordinance on dealers:

42.04 BICYCLE DEALERS.

Every person engaged in the business of buying or selling new or second hand bicycles shall keep a record of every bicycle purchased or sold by such dealer, giving the name and address of the person from whom purchased or to whom sold, a description of such bicycle by name or make, the frame number thereof, and the number of license plate, if any, found thereon. The record shall at all reasonable times be open to the inspection of any member of the Police Department.

This sort of "bike control" is an infringement on my personal liberty and right to freely bear wheels! This is why I always buy my bikes at "bike shows," preferably out of state.

JimR

They also passed an ordinance on dealers:

42.04 BICYCLE DEALERS.

Every person engaged in the business of buying or selling new or second hand bicycles shall keep a record of every bicycle purchased or sold by such dealer, giving the name and address of the person from whom purchased or to whom sold, a description of such bicycle by name or make, the frame number thereof, and the number of license plate, if any, found thereon. The record shall at all reasonable times be open to the inspection of any member of the Police Department.

This sort of "bike control" is an infringement on my personal liberty and right to freely bear wheels! This is why I always buy my bikes at "bike shows," preferably out of state.

The guvmnt just wants to make sure that when the crunch hits, they are not out-biked.  Your banana seat equiped 3 speed will be no match for their carbon fibre terrain gobblers.

Mysecondnewname

Not to justify the bikes zooming by you closely with no warning, but when running on the roads you should be going against traffic. Cyclists go with traffic because of their high speeds and runner's go against it because their speed is negligible. This way you also get to see everything that is coming at you and can jump out of the way if need be.

Unfortunately, that good advice doesn't apply while running trails (which is where most of my unwanted "close encounters" occur.)

A little courtesy on both sides goes a long way.

After reading all of these stories, I'm glad I don't run where some of ya'll do...lot of haters out there.

When I bike (on the country roads), and there's a runner approaching, I'm occasionally startled when I'm 4 or 5 seconds from impact.  At that time, there's enough "change" in eye perception that makes me realize that I'm on track for a collision.

It's not their fault.

It's likely my fault.

But, when biking in the aero position (or in the drops on a road bike), and a runner is on your side of the road approaching you, the motion triggers in your eye do not ignite and send you signals, and you do not notice that you're approaching them.  There's no change in angle, color, size, etc, and it goes unnoticed until the runner is close.

It is a fear of mine as a runner running into traffic (and into bikers) as well as when I'm a biker riding into runner traffic.

I always ride alert and never lose myself within the ride like I do when I run.

With that being said, I'm never riding as far to the right as to not allow a runner to pass me on my right.  If I didn't notice them, we wouldn't touch, but it would certainly cause me to have a heart attack soon after we pass.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life