What are all the ways that your family is messed up? (Read 305 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

#artbydmcbride

Too personal to share on an internet website!

Runners run

I am a prominent member of it.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Too depressing to post about!  Let's just say more than a few mental illnesses.

My parents fought over who was going to take the kids instead of who was going to get the kids when they divorced when I was a young  teen??    Yeah, "Mom, what's that U-Haul in the Driveway For?",

(I said [bleep] it and went to live with my aunt, who I now consider my mother.)   --- And I lived happily ever after.  The End.  Cool

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Hip Redux

My family is totally nuts, but keeping it not too TMI -

My parents got Skype for their 'wintering' in Florida.   First Skype session with them....

They had the camera angled so that I could only see my dad's forehead. Which was better than the alternative, because I guess he had no pants on.  My mom was standing behind him, so I had a good view of her midriff.

About half of the conversation revolved around my dad clicking on a spam email and my mom being concerned that someone was going to steal all their money because she did her banking on that computer.  Then my mom got a phone call from my brother and the remaining conversation was my mom talking to my brother and relaying the information to me.

Roll eyes

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I often feel very fortunate that it's *just* ADHD and Autism running rampant.  My mom was adopted and a lot of her background is a mystery (no idea who her father might be and she only learned of her mom's ID after her mom had passed-away.  Mom was her mom's only offspring and there weren't really any cousins, either) -- so we "blame" mom out of convenience.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

nolamama

CQTM

I'm the recovering black sheep of the immediate family. Things are much less interesting now that I've grown up (somewhat).  I won't get into details about the "other" side of the family, though....or the step-family (yikes!).

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

OMG you had to ask.

Pretty much what Ilene, Nader, and Theresa said.

And that doesn't begin to cover my husband's side!

steph  

12-week layoff

We are all pretty boring and normal.

That makes us rare, right?

YAYpril - B-Plus

My parents threatened divorce at least once a year when I was growing up. They're still married. It's mind-boggling.

My brother is 4 years younger than me and has ADHD and oppositional defiance disorder. When he was 9 years old he jumped on my mother's back and tried to choke her, and he spent some time in a mental health clinic. He once hollowed out a dill pickle and filled it with wood glue and tried to shove it down my throat. His second day of his freshman year of high school, he was caught with marijuana in the bathroom and expelled. He never went back. (He's 27 now)

He's an alcoholic and uses people who put up with him until they kick him out. He often lives in homeless shelters. My parents had to file a restraining order against him because he would sneak into their house when they weren't home and steal food and money. However, whenever he gets arrested they post his bail. And they give him money when he needs it. (I live on the other side of the country and get a $25 gift card for my birthday every year)

He once stole my dad's pickup truck and got it stuck in a ditch and left it there. The state troopers went to my parents' house at 6am the next day to let them know. Because of my brother, they know my parents by name.

And my parents wonder why I moved across the country a week after I graduated high school.

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

He's an alcoholic and uses people who put up with him until they kick him out. He often lives in homeless shelters. My parents had to file a restraining order against him because he would sneak into their house when they weren't home and steal food and money. However, whenever he gets arrested they post his bail. And they give him money when he needs it. (I live on the other side of the country and get a $25 gift card for my birthday every year) 

I work with a lady like this.  Her son, age 25, has a facebook page where he is pointing a gun at the screen.  He's a complete deadbeat, mooch, drug user, etc.   She still allows this Bum to live with her.  The father still allows it too.

They went on a cruise for 6 days and the kid stole everything out of the house including their jewelry, and sold it to pawn shops to get money for drugs.    When they returned, they threatened to kick him out.  He stated "If you ever kick me out, I'll burn the house down with you in it".

He still lives there today.

(((I bet you are thinking maybe a much better response would be to kick that SOB out, file charges, and and get a restraining order, right?!)     Yeah, if you don't hold folks accountable for their actions, they will not change and often get worse over time.  They are essentially hostages of their son now, but they apparently choose it to be this way. ..  Confused

Edit:  My father lives in Monterey, CA now and I live in Virginia Beach, VA... Could we get any farther apart without going for a swim?!  :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

My parents divorced after 39 years of marriage. My dad then married the first woman he started dating....they lasted a little over two years. Now he's married to someone 24 years younger than him. Age-wise, she comes in older than myself and my sister, and younger than my two brothers. It seems to work for them, though--they seem happy!

YAYpril - B-Plus

I work with a lady like this.  Her son, age 25, has a facebook page where he is pointing a gun at the screen.  He's a complete deadbeat, mooch, drug user, etc.   She still allows this Bum to live with her.  The father still allows it too.

They went on a cruise for 6 days and the kid stole everything out of the house including their jewelry, and sold it to pawn shops to get money for drugs.    When they returned, they threatened to kick him out.  He stated "If you ever kick me out, I'll burn the house down with you in it".

He still lives there today.

(((I bet you are thinking maybe a much better response would be to kick that SOB out, file charges, and and get a restraining order, right?!)     Yeah, if you don't hold folks accountable for their actions, they will not change and often get worse over time.  They are essentially hostages of their son now, but they apparently choose it to be this way. ..  Confused

Edit:  My father lives in Monterey, CA now and I live in Virginia Beach, VA... Could we get any farther apart without going for a swim?!  :-)

Yup, my parents are enablers. They know it too but what can they do, "he's their son." Blah blah blah.

They all live in Alaska and I live in Pennsylvania. Smile