I need a glove recommendation? (Read 907 times)

derek

I'm looking for a recommendation for gloves that will keep my fingers warm. What I've tried so far hasn't works. In the past, I tried knit cotton gloves. When that didn't work, I tried 2 pairs at the same time and that still didn't help. I bought a pair of Asics fleece gloves at a running store yesterday and that still didn't work. I did a 10-mile run this morning and it was 30F when I started. During the run, I actually pulled my fingers out of the right glove and clenched it within the palm area and that helped a little, but not much. After my run, my fingers felt literally frozen. I couldn't even take the gloves off myself. I had to have my wife take them off and even turn off my music for me. I warmed them up on the stove and it's only now, almost 2 hours later, that they are starting to fell normal again. Except for my fingers, I was comfortable. I need something I know will keep my fingers warm.

Derek

vicentefrijole

Hey! I have cold-fingers too! And it's 12˚F this morning in Chicago! Ugh! I find that gloves are part of my problem.. something about keeping each finger apart makes them colder for me, no matter what the gloves are made of. So here's my solution: I bought a pair of ski-mittens (do they have a better name?)... tough wind-proof outside (maybe gortex or something?) and then a soft, warm inside (Thinsulate is good stuff). ALternatively, you can buy just an outer shell and then wear your fleece gloves inside. I'd buy them a little big, becuase it really helps to be able to ball your hand up (like you did) on those really windy, cold days. Anyways, these have kept my hands really warm (sometimes I have to take them off they're so warm!) and I didn't even buy the most expensive ones (just some generic brand on sale). The down-side, obviously, is that you're about as nimble as a Holstein when it comes to tying your shoes, etc. But at least your hands are warm. Good luck! Stay warm! Big grin
      derek

Thanks. I hadn't thought about ski mittens, but they just might do the trick. I'll look into it.

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yup. Even a heavy fleece mitten should keep your fingers warmer than a comparable glove, since your fingers can keep one-another warm when they are in a single compartment together. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

They need a new name for those things... I don't feel very fast when I talk about my "running mittens". Sounds like I should put a string between them so I don't lose them. hehe. Big grin
            JakeKnight

I find that gloves are part of my problem.. something about keeping each finger apart makes them colder for me, no matter what the gloves are made of.
              He's right. When it's cold enough, gloves don't help much. Not if you've got weak finger circulation, anyway. My cheap solution: just wear socks on my hands. Works like a charm. It does not, however, impress the chicks.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Jeffrey

I use fleece gloves that have a very loose fit. (my hands never warm up if my gloves are too tight.)
                I'm looking for a recommendation for gloves that will keep my fingers warm.
                vicentefrijole

My cheap solution: just wear socks on my hands. Works like a charm. It does not, however, impress the chicks.
                  I saw a woman with 'sock-gloves' running Chicago this year. And I was impressed because: 1) she was kicking my butt 2) I had on thin gloves and my hands were freezing (they actually got warmer when I finally took them off)
                    I recently bought a pair of Dryline mitts (not gloves) at the Running Room here in Toronto. Love them. Light weight, wick away moisture and wash well. The logo is reflective, so helps with visibility at night and in the early mornings. Can't say I've run in really cold weather with them (-6C on Sat.).
                    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Derek, From your description, it sounds like you have Raynaud's Syndrome. You should be really careful when running outside because you might get frost bite. I wear a pair of fleece gloves and they're good to about -9 F. Anything colder and I'm staying home or run on a treadmill. You could try a two layer approach. Wear a pair of thick fleece gloves underneath, and a shell as the outer to block the wind. Maybe you can check out cycling stores for gloves because nothing beats up your knuckles more than riding a bike in the winter. Good luck!
                        I always had problems with cold hands until I got a pair of fleece mittens one XMas that were lined with thinsulate. They work great! I wore them in -15 F weather. And the fact they are fleece is very practical. I can wipe sweat with them while on a run and then throw them in the wash with the rest of my running clothes. .. Ronald
                        derek

Derek, From your description, it sounds like you have Raynaud's Syndrome. You should be really careful when running outside because you might get frost bite. I wear a pair of fleece gloves and they're good to about -9 F. Anything colder and I'm staying home or run on a treadmill. You could try a two layer approach. Wear a pair of thick fleece gloves underneath, and a shell as the outer to block the wind. Maybe you can check out cycling stores for gloves because nothing beats up your knuckles more than riding a bike in the winter. Good luck!
                          My fingers didn't turn white and/or blue. When I took my gloves off, they were actually a bit red. I think I just need to get warmer gloves. I'm in S. FL this on business this week so I don't need to worry about the cold, but I'll definitely get the ski mittens when I return to TX and before I run again on Sunday.

Derek

FWIW, if you think there's *any* chance that you might have Raynaud's, check it out with a doctor. My aunt had been having the syptoms - mild symptoms- for the past couple of years but didn't really think it was anything more than a minor annoyance. Last month she had to have one of her fingers amputated due to complications with the Raynaud's, which was diagnosed when the tissue on her finger started turning black. Sad
                              I usually go with something like this: when I go out in the cold. Fleece, leather grip, spandex shell. Well...that only a little over a decade older...note to self: put a pair of these on the x-mas list. Swix is one of the best names in nordic ski equipment, so they definitely know what it takes to exercise in the cold. They've got a fairly broad line to handle stuff from "hmm I think it's a bit nippy" to "why are my eyes frozen shut?" If fleece isn't enough for you when it's 30F out though..well yeah that might be a sign of something a little extra.

~J

bfitnhappy

a friend of mine swears by convertible running gloves by 180...here's the link. I haven't gotten mine yet since it really hasn't been cold in Chicago yet! http://www.180s.com/