Other units on maps (Read 756 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Eric, would it be possible to include the following additional length measurements on the maps? fathoms rods chains furlongs cables leagues Clowning aroundOkay, kidding, but how about meters, yards, and feet? I'd like to measure out some shorter distances for the purpose of intervals, time trials, etc. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

eric :)

Jeff, I don't think it's a good idea to measure anything that require precision of feet, yards, and meters. The mapping stuff just isn't that accurate. Maybe you could describe what you want to do and I can get a better idea that way and see if it makes sense. eric Smile
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Eric, I was just imagining a scenario where e.g. I might want to measure out a 200m stretch of road to run repeats on. I do understand the resolution limitations you're faced with, however. Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I think this is a similar question - so I'll add in here. Is there a way to mark distances within a course from point to point - so one might run a tempo from "Main to Cross" street within one workout? Thanks Ayola

Recalculating...

Jeff, it doesn't seem like a good idea to rely on the map to measure off 200 meters. Even if you can accurately measure 200 meters, I'd imagine you'll lose the accuracy when you translate from the map to the road. For something like this, you're better off going to the local track. Ayola, I'm not clear on what you're asking. Could you elaborate?
              Hey Eric, I guess what I've wanted this for in the past is to see the approximate location of the half mile markers on a mapped course, just so I know about where to turnaround, if, say, I'm doing an odd number of miles out and back on the course or something like that. I personally don't care so much about the exact accuracy of this, and I personally can't see me wanting to know any markers other than the .5 mi. measurement, but I have wanted to know an approximate location on more than a few occasions. The only way to find a half mile measurement now is to map the course from the start to the point where it says X.50 miles. That said, I understand your hesitance to make an imprecise calculation seem more precise than it is. And yes, I probably should just get a Garmin. sigh
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ayola, I'm not clear on what you're asking. Could you elaborate?
                I think what she's getting at can be found here.

I think what she's getting at can be found here.
                  Thanks Jeff! I'll see what I can do with this.

XanaduStone, Would the request above be something of use to you?
                      Aha. Yeah, that ruler option sounds like a much better way to do things anyway. Thanks Eric